Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
58deluxerag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris32 wrote:
im suprised nobody has pics of vans with audi wheels

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

my vanagon on some rare, audi avant garde BBS two-piece 18x8.5. 6mm spacers on front to clear upper a-arms. offset +32, 225/45/18 tires.
Petervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does the wheel on its own have the 32 offset OR does that include the 6mm spacer ..Thanks
58deluxerag wrote:
chris32 wrote:

my vanagon on some rare, audi avant garde BBS two-piece 18x8.5. 6mm spacers on front to clear upper a-arms. offset +32, 225/45/18 tires.
erhoads
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

regarding my westy pic, thanks for the size adjustment! I dont know why this site is so hard for me to post pics to....must be a personal problem. the wheels are off a 98 c280 benz, 15 by 7 with an e.t. of 37. 5/16 spacers in front none in rear. 1 and 1/2 inch thread length studs in back and bolts up front. the front only has 5 full turns of thread so i'm looking for a 2 inch thread length if anyone has a source. thanks again. e
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erhoads wrote:
.... i'm looking for a 2 inch thread length if anyone has a source. thanks again. e

Cool, thanks for the info.

Euro Sport Accessories,

( http://www.eurosportacc.com/hr_wheel_bolts_studs.htm )

has 14X1.5 50mm (2") long Mercedes ball seat wheel bolts for $2.95 each.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
erhoads
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks loogy, i just ordered the bolts. e
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok...any of you guys w/ the fat rims/tires driving around in the snow and ice in western Wa. ? Laughing
still got my stock rims and tires on and I'm stayin home. I don't need the agravation.

sunday I was out in Snohomish and it was all fine the whole way, except one shady (and icy Twisted Evil )little corner...my ass came around before I knew what was happening and I was looking at a fence..then it wipped around straight again and I was fine. thank god there was no other traffic at that moment.

no problems with the snow days ! lucky I can take it off. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
58deluxerag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petervw wrote:
does the wheel on its own have the 32 offset OR does that include the 6mm spacer ..Thanks
58deluxerag wrote:
chris32 wrote:

32 +offset on wheel. then I have a 6mm spacer bolted up. so I guess you'd need a wheel with 26mm +offset to clear without a spacer. just me doing math though.
cloudbaseracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Guys,

Am I correct that most Audi's have 57mm center bore, Mercedes 66mm and Syncro 67mm? I am converting my Westy to Syncro and want to put on some great looking Audi wheels that I have seen. The wheels are of course 5x112 with ET 35. I am just concerned that I will not be able to shave enough out from the inside of the rim to make it fit.

Are the Syncro's the same front and rear? Are they different from a Westy 2wd? If so what is the centerbore of each, front and rear?

I am trying to understand about shaving down the actual spindle on the van as well as the wheel. Am I understanding this correctly that this is what people are doing, in regards to the spindle? I think I can figure out the part about shaving the actual wheel center.

Thanks,

James
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you turned the spindle down, it'd bring the hub/rotor closer in and out of alignment with the caliper, I don't think that'll work at all.

I think the deal is some rims will run into the spring/strut mounting thingy. I don't think it'd be a good idea to shave the inside rear edge of the wheel either.

BTW, there's 2 sets of 15 inch RONAL R9's on ebay at the moment. I'm not going for them, I spent my rim dough.

mercedes hubs are 66mm I'm pritty shure...not 100% pos though.

oh...BTW, Chris, I got the rims, they're here and fantastic looking...and HUGE !! Laughing 17" bead actually measures 18 1/2" at the outside lip Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James,

I put Audi 5000 Turbo 15" wheels on my Syncro. I had the inside bored out to 67mm x 15 mm deep. Works front and rear. Changed rear studs to the longer EMPI models.

08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
cloudbaseracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogpilot wrote:
James,

I put Audi 5000 Turbo 15" wheels on my Syncro. I had the inside bored out to 67mm x 15 mm deep. Works front and rear. Changed rear studs to the longer EMPI models.

Did you have to do anything to the size of the lug holes? What is involved to change the studs?

James
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cloudbaseracer wrote:
Am I correct that most Audi's have 57mm center bore, Mercedes 66mm and Syncro 67mm?.......Are the Syncro's the same front and rear? Are they different from a Westy 2wd? If so what is the centerbore of each, front and rear?

I am trying to understand about shaving down the actual spindle on the van as well as the wheel. Am I understanding this correctly that this is what people are doing, in regards to the spindle?

Hey James, You are correct about the Audi and Mercedes center bores. I'm not to sure about the exact front hub diameter on a Syncro but if Dogpilot opened his up to 67mm and had enough clearance, well, there you go, 67mm will get them on the van. The rears on the Syncro and the 2wd are the same.

See, the thing is that Vanagons, Syncro or 2wd, are not hubcentric so all you have to do is open the wheel up large enough to clear the front grease cap (2wd). The Audi wheels CAN be opened up to 66mm without any trouble.

No machining needs to be done to the hub or spindle!!!!!!!!

The only problem that you run into on a 2wd is that the nose of the hub is rather long causing wheel center cap issues with some wheels. The Syncro does not have that large nose so cap fitment is easier on those.

Can't wait to see them Crankey!

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James,
No change to the lug holes. You have to pull off the rear hub to change the studs. You can use a vice and an oversize deep socket to allow the vice to push out the old stud. You reverse the socket to the other side to push in the new stud. I used the EMPI models that have the a non-threaded 1/4" on the end. This allowed me to chuck them in the drill press to file down the splines that go into the hub a bit for a smoother fit. I only had to file them down a bit to match the OD of the standard studs splines. It made the insertion smoother. The studs have not loosened up in a year and no problems with them. A whole lot cheaper than the other options.

When you do the studs, It is a great time to re-do the rear brakes and grease the rear bearings. My rear brakes were semi-frozen. They had been draging a bit and didn't actuate well. After new shoes, pistons and drums the braking effectiveness went up astronomically.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
vicali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone have gas burners on a 2wd?
15x5.5 w 3.5' backspacing
http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C32-GB1B

with all the math flying around can someone check mine,
5.5'/2 - 3.5' => ET 19mm.
ckissick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking these won't fit, but thought I'd ask anyway, since they're 75 bucks for a set.

"Used 16 inch Borbet Type E wheels with 5-100 bolt pattern. 38 mm ET. will fit 1999-2004 Volkswagen cars"

I think the 5-100 bolt pattern makes it a no go, as it must be 5-112. Correct?
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ckissick wrote:

I think the 5-100 bolt pattern makes it a no go, as it must be 5-112. Correct?

Correct!

vicali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

playing around with the offset calulator

stock 14 steel: 14x5.5 ET 39mm

GoWesty Alloys: 15x7 ET23mm
3mm less(inside edge) 35mm more(outside edge)

Cip1 Burners: 15x5.5 ET 19mm
20mm more(inside edge) 20mm more(outside edge)

it looks like the burners would fit without problems,
they can (barely) hold a 215/75 R15 on too..

what do you think Loogy?
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, math time!!!! I hate math!!!

A wheel that has a stated width of 5.5" is actually about 6.5" wide as measured from the outer edge of the inner lip to the............ Oh hell, a picture is easier than trying to explain it.

Backspacing is measured from the same area of the wheel lip as the 6.5" measurement, shown in the picture above, to the wheel mounting surface.

So therefore, the outer lip of this wheel will fit 2mm further inboard than the GoWesty 15X7-23mm offset wheel.

Will it fit? Sure! Will it make it drive funny? Maybe!

If I were to run this wheel, I would not run a tire any wider than a 205/65/15 on it (which, by the way, is 25.5" tall).

vicali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help Chris,

is there a reason you would stick with the 205/65/15 other than staying as close to stock as possible?
they are 25.5" diameter, stock 185/80R14 wheels are 25.6" (but mine are under-rated coopers from the PO! need to get them off before the spring..)

215/75R15 would have a diameter of 27.6" and I think that the maximum for a 2wd is around 29.5" (http://www.syncro.ca/tiresize/default.htm) before the trailing arms hit.

thanks again,

Mike
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Worth a Shot... Reply with quote

Those beautiful 15" Audi 5000 Turbo Rims Dogpilot had on his even more beautiful Syncro are now sitting in my garage, waiting for their chance to grace Winston.

While Dogpilot has been very helpful, he doesn't know exactly how much ET45 15" rims, in particular, those rims, need to be cleared away from the front steering knuckle of a 2WD with those Agilis 205/65 R16. I've browsed all the sites that I can find... Vanagon-Cafe says 'thin' spacers are needed... From SOME site I got '13mm' spacers are needed...

Does anybody KNOW? I can experiment, I'd just hate to have to buy a longer set of front bolts, either Audi or VW bug alloy or... Gad, this is confusing... and a random spacer that wouldn't work. If I had a figure, I could order good studs, spacers, and lug bolts.

While I'm thinking about it, if I convert Winston's front wheels to studs, I have to pull 'em out every time I change the front rotors? Has anyone used stud adapters on the front of a 2wd?

My brain hurts...

Shocked

Best!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 174

Jump to: