Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 138, 139, 140 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

takeiteasy wrote:
I purchased asa type 8 15 (eurolook) recently. Can someone point me to correct mounting hardware I should use? Are van cafe and gowesty the only options for hardware purchase?

No, Chris at T3 Technique is a great source for wheel and suspension hardware!

t3technique.com
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com

Last edited by Jake de Villiers on Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
takeiteasy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
takeiteasy wrote:
I purchased asa type 8 15 (eurolook) recently. Can someone point me to correct mounting hardware I should use? Are van cafe and gowesty the only options for hardware purchase?

No, Chris at T3 Technique is a great source for wheel qand suspension hardware!

t3technique.com

Yes, Chris helped me out. Thanks Chris!

"With your past and your future precisely divided.
Am I at that moment? I haven't decided."
nesurfer99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Spare that's compatible with Gowesty 16" alloy rims Reply with quote

Anyone have ideas on a cheap spare that I can use with my Gowesty 16" alloy rims (16x7.5, et38)?

I have installed the bigger brakes in the front as well (making it difficult or impossible to run a smaller size spare).

I know I could simply buy another wheel from gw, but looking for a cheaper option.

Thanks!
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Spare that's compatible with Gowesty 16" alloy rims Reply with quote

nesurfer99 wrote:
Anyone have ideas on a cheap spare that I can use with my Gowesty 16" alloy rims (16x7.5, et38)?

I have installed the bigger brakes in the front as well (making it difficult or impossible to run a smaller size spare).

I know I could simply buy another wheel from gw, but looking for a cheaper option.

Thanks!

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/results.jsp?&a...toModClar=

$31 cheaper!

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
nesurfer99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

That's awesome.

What about this - an actual Mercedes spare? Do you think it would fit and work as a spare?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-OEM-W208-EMERGENC...mp;vxp=mtr[/url]
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

nesurfer99 wrote:
That's awesome.

What about this - an actual Mercedes spare? Do you think it would fit and work as a spare?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-OEM-W208-EMERGENC...mp;vxp=mtr[/url]

Wait! I saw your wheels size/offset and assumed you had a Syncro, but I just noticed that you have "89 Carat" in your signature. You mentioned having 16x7.5 ET38 wheels. That offset is normally used only on Syncros. With that offset on a 2wd, you must be running spacers...at least on the front. The other possibility is that there is a mistake and you actually have the 16x7.5 ET23 version of that wheel. You will need to positively identify what wheels you have before going any further.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
nesurfer99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Yes, it is 2wd tintop. I did order the 2wd version of these wheels and did not install a spacer. This is what the GW order history shows:

GVW-WTP-1623-DEF: 16" Alloy Wheel & Tire Package [2WD & 4WD] (Model: 2WD Vanagon - nuts & bolts)
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I was wondering if these would fit a syncro
https://detroitwheelandtire.com/hol-69789-sss-a.html

16x7 et37

guessing it will have to get center bore englarged?
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
I was wondering if these would fit a syncro
https://detroitwheelandtire.com/hol-69789-sss-a.html

16x7 et37

guessing it will have to get center bore englarged?

Yes, you would have to have the center bores opened up to clear the front hubs and I don't think the rear center caps will fit. You would also need a set of small ball seat lug nuts.

Can1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I found that it is really hard to find 16" wheels, but when you look at 17 the market opens up quite a bit.

I found these:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-tires-rims/city-of-toronto/mercedes-benz-17inch-rims/1250476184

They are off a 2001 E430. They are 37ET and 7.5J.

I think I can drill out to the bolt holes to fit 14mm bolts and just use a 5mm spacer. That would put me at a 32ET.

What do you guys think?
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Can1 wrote:
I found that it is really hard to find 16" wheels, but when you look at 17 the market opens up quite a bit.

I found these:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-tires-rims/city-of-toronto/mercedes-benz-17inch-rims/1250476184

They are off a 2001 E430. They are 37ET and 7.5J.

I think I can drill out to the bolt holes to fit 14mm bolts and just use a 5mm spacer. That would put me at a 32ET.

What do you guys think?

Yeah, clearance on the front is super tight without spacers, so front spacers are strongly recommended. You will need a set of new lug bolts, new lug nuts and new rear studs as well. While rear spacers are not required, adding them will make the overall appearance look much better and since you need longer studs, well, now is the time to add the rear spacers. The Mercedes center caps may not fit.

Can1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply,
I'm checking out your site and may send you an email.

Do you think your center caps will fit those wheels?
Blue Diver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I'm running an MB E300 stagnated set (17x7.5 f/ 17x8.5 r) on my 90 GL. Front stud conversion and spacers, rear studs and spacers from t3. Mounted 225/50r17 front, 245/45r17 rear. Great handling, much better at freeway speed, pretty good on junk roads too. Plus, looks way better then the stock donuts.
Stock suspension.
Brake rebuild front and rear. Stainless lines. R1 drilled and slotted rotors up front. Huge difference, even comfortable in the crazy honolulu traffic in the rain. Most of the performance of the big brake kit, a third of the price.
Christopher at t3 is solid. I work on aircraft and his stuff is truly aviation grade engineering and quality.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

KMT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I am looking at these Vintage Remotec wheels for my 2wd 1989 Bluestar. They are a staggered set 16X8 and 16X9. I am awaiting on the offsets from the owner. I hope I can make these work!

'68 Panel
'78 Champagne Edition Westfalia
'89 Blue Star
‘90 Hightop TDI Vanagon
'90 AFN TDI Leisuredrive hightop
http://www.highcountrybusfestival.com
Pisgah Bus Rally
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

KMY, while they are not impossible to fit, 16x8s are not a great fit on the front of a 2wd. The problem is that in order to gain enough clearance between the inner rim lip and the suspension, you have to push the wheels quite a ways outboard. Again, nothing is impossible, but they aren't really ideal.

KMT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
KMY, while they are not impossible to fit, 16x8s are not a great fit on the front of a 2wd. The problem is that in order to gain enough clearance between the inner rim lip and the suspension, you have to push the wheels quite a ways outboard. Again, nothing is impossible, but they aren't really ideal.

Thanks Christopher. The Remotecs has an ET 23 and ET14. The guys also has a set of C320 wheels ET31 and a set of E420 wheels ET41. What do you think will work best?

'68 Panel
'78 Champagne Edition Westfalia
'89 Blue Star
‘90 Hightop TDI Vanagon
'90 AFN TDI Leisuredrive hightop
http://www.highcountrybusfestival.com
Pisgah Bus Rally
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

KMT wrote:
Christopher Schimke wrote:

Thanks Christopher. The Remotecs has an ET 23 and ET14. The guys also has a set of C320 wheels ET31 and a set of E420 wheels ET41. What do you think will work best?

Yeah, the Remotecs would be impossible to install and have the correct fitment.

I assume the ET31 wheels are 16x7? If so those would be a great choice sonce no spacers would be needed.

matt242
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

S.O.S.! My head is spinning. Visited 6 tire shops today, after reading many threads for a week. Everyone says something different. Bought a 1990 Vanagon camper and need to replace the 205 / 70R14 tires. I'm told to get LT / heavy sidewalls; minimum 1580 lb per tire; C or D or higher; load index of 97. The only tires I found today was a Yokohama Y356 195/75 14, or the Nankang 195 / R14 C, but the specs of both vary significantly depending on which shop I ask!!! AND, Westy experts seem to stress changing the wheels to 15" which is fine if it's really safer (or there just aren't tires anymore for 14" wheels). But 2 highly rated shops said NO, and couldn't guarantee a proper fit!! And finally, these alternative tires require a different PSI than my owners manual stresses. So many variables to try to conform too / find.

Yikes. I had no idea replacing the Vanagon tires / wheels would be such a headache. How to prioritize what I must have? I likely will not drive in snow or off-road, at least much, if that helps. Thanks for any and all advice from northern California.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

matt242 wrote:
S.O.S.! My head is spinning. Visited 6 tire shops today

This belongs in the TIRE thread, this thread deals with rims.

Look here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=584507
bajaleo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to understand exactly which wheels will fit van. I really like the look of bigger wheels.

During my occasional search of Craigslist for Mercedes wheels for my '84 2wd Vanagon, I see some interesting 18x8's that might look pretty good.

Most of what I've read here tells me I'll need spacers, but Tim3 (thanks Tim3) has these wheels mounted and says no spacers are needed. Is it because of the offset of his particular wheels?

Also, when I look at the fitment diagram kindly provided by T3 (thanks T3), it appears that 18" wheels actually clear better, as the rim of the wheel is above the upright (assuming the diagram is correct).

Would 19x8's in the correct offset also fit w/o spacers?

I really have no problem using spacers, it's just that if I happen to find wheels in the correct offset, can I get by without them?

Super Lightweight Mille Miglia MM11-3 (AKA Carrera Lightweight 5 Spoke 996 Replicas)
18x8 ET35 (No Spacers needed)
225/40/18 Front (Wheel has 2-3mm clearance from upper ball joint mount)
235/40/18 Back (Tire has 8-10mm clearance from rear arm)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 138, 139, 140 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Page 139 of 174

Jump to: