Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 139, 140, 141 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

bajaleo:

Yes, there are some that are able to be fitted. Good luck. The problem is that very few tires will be an option. These rigs are the equivalent of a 1 ton truck. Thus, they require minimum of C rated tires. Then you have the wheel well, which was designed for somewhere around 25.5" total diameter tires.

I looked and looked. Never found a match. Not saying I don't want 18" or + rims, just in practical terms, never was able to make it work as a whole.

Good luck tho.
Jaerl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Page 27 on this thread has discussion about these wheels.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2052411
Wangta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

This may have been asked before but does anyone know what wheels these are on this van (from the north westy website)? They are so clean!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

^^^

As they came on a Mercedes, the front wheels are 17x7.5 ET36 (part number 2034013402) and the rear wheels are 17x8.5 ET34 (part number 2034013602), but I think that Syncro has four of the 17x7.5s on it.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Wangta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
^^^

As they came on a Mercedes, the front wheels are 17x7.5 ET36 (part number 2034013402) and the rear wheels are 17x8.5 ET34 (part number 2034013602), but I think that Syncro has four of the 17x7.5s on it.

Thanks Chris. Yeah I looked at those and they come staggered. Both the 7.5 and he 8.5 should fit on a Syncro, no? Also wondering if these will bolt on without spacers or need other stuff?
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Wangta wrote:
^^^

Thanks Chris. Yeah I looked at those and they come staggered. Both the 7.5 and he 8.5 should fit on a Syncro, no? Also wondering if these will bolt on without spacers or need other stuff?

You would need to install longer studs front and rear and run small ball seat lugs, but no spacers.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
Wangta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Wangta wrote:
^^^

You would need to install longer studs front and rear and run small ball seat lugs, but no spacers.

Chris - forgot to ask - are these wheels "strong" enough to support Vanagons? I'm trying to research and see what the load rating is - or if the wheels are forged, etc. Completely forgot we have to think about these things!

Last edited by Wangta on Tue May 23, 2017 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Wangta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

No spacers - even for the 8.5? Huh, surprised.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Wangta wrote:

No spacers - even for the 8.5? Huh, surprised.

Nope, no spacers, but that's assuming you would only be using them on the rear. If you tried to use them on the front, yes, you would need spacers, but I would not recommend them on the front. Too wide!

Wangta wrote:

Chris - forgot to ask - are these wheels "strong" enough to support Vanagons? I'm trying to research and see what the load rating is - or if the wheels are forged, etc. Completely forgot we have to think about these things!

OE Mercedes wheels are notoriously strong and strength is not something that I would worry about in the least. They are so much stronger than any of the cheap aftermarket wheels being mounted on Vanagons today.

Wangta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Nope, no spacers, but that's assuming you would only be using them on the rear. If you tried to use them on the front, yes, you would need spacers, but I would not recommend them on the front. Too wide!

Thanks Chris - so I'm guessing for a syncro, 7.5 on all four wheels is the max width you wanna go? I think most of the stock VW Vanagon wheels are 7 wide so that would make sense.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Wangta wrote:

Thanks Chris - so I'm guessing for a syncro, 7.5 on all four wheels is the max width you wanna go? I think most of the stock VW Vanagon wheels are 7 wide so that would make sense.

The widest stock Vanagon wheel is 6" so yeah, 7.5" wide make for a much better fit than 8.5" wide.

Wangta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Wangta wrote:

The widest stock Vanagon wheel is 6" so yeah, 7.5" wide make for a much better fit than 8.5" wide.

Thank you so much for your insight - I'm a fairly new Vanagon owner and your insight and patience is invaluable. I hope I can repay you one day!
Italjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

My new wheels.
2WD TD 1,6 (JX)
Rim 16" - 7,5 wide - ET36 - spacer 6mm
Tires 205/65R16 speedometer 4km/h off.
Better to choose 205/60R16 as the engine is too weak to pull uphill.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Italjohn wrote:
My new wheels.
2WD TD 1,6 (JX)
Rim 16" - 7,5 wide - ET36 - spacer 6mm
Tires 205/65R16 speedometer 4km/h off.
Better to choose 205/60R16 as the engine is too weak to pull uphill.

Italjohn, I have these same wheels yet have not installed them. Do you have 6mm spacers all around, or just on the front or back? What did you use for wheel hardware?

Thanks for any input or advice!

-Rob
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My new wheels! Reply with quote

Back on page 52 of this thread, I see the below rims. I looked and looked around on the surrounding pages, but never found the info on what these take for hardware to mount. I really like the looks, and there is a set of 4 near me for cheap.
(thanks in advance ChrisToph3r)

aolive wrote:
I just got my Westy a couple of months ago. My friends are all jealous!

Mercedes SLK 10 spoke.

removed crapped out photobucket links. The pix were good, but didn't last

Last edited by bobbyblack on Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:23 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
makina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I need help asap, I found these wheels I love I know that if I search enough I can find my answers but I really need to know fast before they sell. The wheel diameter is 5x120 there BBS from a beamer 5 what all do I have to do any help is greatly appreciate thanks all
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

5x120 BCD will not fit without adaptors. Vanagon is 5x112.
bigEZbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I have a 1983 WB vanagon. Extensive work on the motor, lines, gas muffler, gas tank are complete and it's time for tires. Inside can wait till winter.
Our VW dealer in town recommended the Michelin Defenders 2156016.
He too has a Westy, 1974.
I was chatting with my mechanic who thought Passat rims would fit these tires.
He asked me if there are there any particular year Passat makes that work better (than others) with these tires?
i`m asking here since this place is golden!

I'm open to suggestions or leads-bottom line is, as stated here, good tires are inexpensive insurance.
Thanks in advance
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

For our Bus, we're going to go with Michelin Defender LTX M/S in 215/55r16 as they have a higher load rating (97H vs 95T). This is the source of much (anecdotal?) debate, but ultimately GoWesty sells the Defenders so they are in use by lots of folks.

For rim fitment, check out Christopher at T3Technique.com - he has all the knowledge and hardware you need and does ship to Canada. We have some new lug nuts en route now.
Good luck!

bigEZbob wrote:
I have a 1983 WB vanagon. Extensive work on the motor, lines, gas muffler, gas tank are complete and it's time for tires. Inside can wait till winter.
Our VW dealer in town recommended the Michelin Defenders 2156016.
He too has a Westy, 1974.
I was chatting with my mechanic who thought Passat rims would fit these tires.
He asked me if there are there any particular year Passat makes that work better (than others) with these tires?
i`m asking here since this place is golden!

I'm open to suggestions or leads-bottom line is, as stated here, good tires are inexpensive insurance.
Thanks in advance

bigEZbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

For rim fitment, check out Christopher at T3Technique.com - he has all the knowledge and hardware you need and does ship to Canada. We have some new lug nuts en route now.

Merci mon ami! We are off to Cypress Lake Friday.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 139, 140, 141 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Page 140 of 174

Jump to: