Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 141, 142, 143 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
makina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I have two kinds that I really like. What do I need??
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Unfortunately, neither of those wheels will work well on a Vanagon. They have the wrong bolt pattern and they do not have offsets that work well. Sorry!

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
NASkeet, those wheels are 16x7.5 ET41, part number 2104010602. They came on E-Class cars from '96 through '99. They do have smaller lug holes, but they can easily be drilled for use with 14mm hardware. On a Bus, I would suggest spacers, longer studs, and small ball seat lug nuts.

I found a set on German E-bay for 60 Euros, the description of which confirms 7 ½J x 16 H2 specifications and part No. A210 401 06 02

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/origin...p-focus.de

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Doberman604
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Hey. Just wondering if I have a set of wheels that could possibly work.

17x8 et36
17x9 et36

Incorrect bolt pattern. So would need adapters. I think the narrowest ones are 18mm. So are these wheels no Bueno on a 1985 Doka?
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Doberman604 wrote:
Hey. Just wondering if I have a set of wheels that could possibly work.

17x8 et36
17x9 et36

Incorrect bolt pattern. So would need adapters. I think the narrowest ones are 18mm. So are these wheels no Bueno on a 1985 Doka?

The thinnest adapters that we can make are 15mm thick, but even that would cause the wheels to poke out pretty good. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Many modern 14, 15 or 16 inch diameter trailer-caravan wheels, have a 112 mm PCD, 30 mm offset and 900 kg load rating, so I wonder whether some of these might be suitable!?!

There are some BMW vehicles which are said to have a 112 mm PCD, but whether they would be suitable for a VW Vanagon or VW Type 2 is another matter.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merritt67type3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I have a 67 squareback, how would I make a 3 3/4inch back space wheel work with out rubbing fender?
coronita65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

16" Mercedes S class S430 S500 wheels 16x7.5 offset 46 would it work 2wd
https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/wto/d/16-mercedes-class-s430-s500/6324835203.html
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

coronita65, yes, those wheels work nicely on a Vanagon. Assuming you have a 2wd, you would need spacers front and rear, longer rear studs and new front lug bolts. These wheels do not require having the lug holes drilled and you can use the stock Vanagon rear lug nuts if you want to, but there are nicer looking lug options available. Shoot me an email if you need any further help on these.

ALstew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Hello, I was curious if these would fit well on an 88' 2wd. They are from an 2003 A4. There isnt much info on the ad and I am trying to do my best google investigation.

Thanks!

[/img]
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

ALstew, you can definitely use those wheels. They are super strong and look great on a Vanagon.

There are a few things that you should be aware of though. The first is that you will definitely need to have the centerbores of the wheels machined to 66.56mm. The second is that these particular wheels have a design that makes it difficult to impossible to get the center caps to fit. You would be on your own for any center caps.

Other than that, a set of spacers front and rear, new front lug bolts, new rear lug nuts and new rear wheel studs will get the wheels mounted up nicely.

ALstew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
ALstew, you can definitely use those wheels. They are super strong and look great on a Vanagon.

There are a few things that you should be aware of though. The first is that you will definitely need to have the centerbores of the wheels machined to 66.56mm. The second is that these particular wheels have a design that makes it difficult to impossible to get the center caps to fit. You would be on your own for any center caps.

Other than that, a set of spacers front and rear, new front lug bolts, new rear lug nuts and new rear wheel studs will get the wheels mounted up nicely.

Okay awesome! Thank you so much for the detailed description!
Doberman604
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

How about some RML snowflakes? Are 18's too big on an 85 double cab?

Wheels are 18x8.5 42et 57.1 hub

Obviously need center bore to 66.56
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Doberman604 wrote:
How about some RML snowflakes? Are 18's too big on an 85 double cab?

Wheels are 18x8.5 42et 57.1 hub

Obviously need center bore to 66.56

18s can fit, but the problem is the 8.5" width on the front. That width on the front is too wide in my opinion. It forces the wheels to be mounted outboard too much in order to clear the upper control arm.

joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Has anybody come up with a solution for center caps for these A4 16" wheels on a Syncro? The front OEM caps fit fine, but the rear hub sticks out pretty far past the wheel surface.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Has anybody come up with a solution for center caps for these A4 16" wheels on a Syncro? The front OEM caps fit fine, but the rear hub sticks out pretty far past the wheel surface.

A quick trip through the archives might have answered my question...Thanks Buspor63!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=40

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Wheel wizards! This seems pretty complicated! lol but help a new guy out please!

2wd 86 westy currently have the stock wheels but its time to upgrade the gal

I'm looking to get a steel wheel for her just because I'm going for more of the rugged look and like the black, here is a link of what I was thinking, what ones would be the least amount hassle as far as sizing? If anyone has any suggestions too that would be awesome <3

https://www.blackrockwheels.com/wheels/wheelsdetails/series-942-type-d-steel
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

WestyWanter, unfortunately, those wheels do not come in the correct bolt pattern (the Vanagon is 5x112) or offset (you need an offset around the 29mm-30mm for a 15x7).

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

WestyWanter wrote:
Wheel wizards! This seems pretty complicated! lol but help a new guy out please!

2wd 86 westy currently have the stock wheels but its time to upgrade the gal

I'm looking to get a steel wheel for her just because I'm going for more of the rugged look and like the black, here is a link of what I was thinking, what ones would be the least amount hassle as far as sizing? If anyone has any suggestions too that would be awesome <3

https://www.blackrockwheels.com/wheels/wheelsdetails/series-942-type-d-steel

Those do look nice and rugged, I agree. For a good idea on what to be looking for, read the very first post of this thread, by ChrisToph3r. If I were a guessing fellow, I'd say "look for the CLK 1998-2000 rims, as they look quite a bit like the ones you linked, AND require almost no changes to fit.

Be sure to read Kamzkab86's tire thread too, you'll ask about tires next, of course.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=584507
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Still looking for more info on these so called SLK 10 Spoke's... Now that I foudn the pix again. I like the C320's I have, but both the set of rims and the hardware from T3 are waiting for me to get spare hubs off parts van, and pressed lugs in place. Oh, and the $'s for next set of rubber. Seems as if the 14" BFG TA's from 2015 are hardly even to the point of being called "used', go figure!

Anyway, I'd like to know about these so I can weigh my options next time I see a set on CL..

too many seconds went by for me to edit my post from a few months ago, sorry to repost, but no real option given.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 141, 142, 143 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Page 142 of 174

Jump to: