Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 142, 143, 144 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

fairly certain I've seen these rims on some vans and at $100.. a very reasonable starting price.. listed in Albany, NY

https://albany.craigslist.org/pts/d/4-mercedes-benz-wheels-tires/6326922449.html

4 Mercedes Benz wheels/Tires - $100 (Waterford, NY)

Quote:
4 Mercedes Benz Aluminum Wheels with Michelin Tires(205/65/R15) with plenty of tread left. Asking only $100 or best offer. Free local delivery Call 518-590-4944
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mount Inspiration Apparel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Would it be possible to fit these on a Vanagon? http://www.bbwheelsonline.com/vision-cross-426-whe...gI2CPD_BwE
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Not enough info.
The lug nut hole size ?
Wheel bore size ?
Weight rating you might want to check also.
You'd need 8-10 mm spacers.
Longer lug nuts and bolts pressed in.
They *could* be made to fit.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

There is a ton of info here so I tried to do some searches to find exactly what I am trying to ask. Photobucket killing off all their links doesn't help. Hopefully I didn't miss anything that has been asked before but it's possible and I apologize in advance.

I have a nice set of staggered AMG 112 x 5 MB wheels from my little brother's CLK 500 but I'm not up for doing all the mods to make them fit (looks like bolt holes, centerbores, spacers etc and even then they may be too wide).

So I picked up a set of 16" alloy wheels from an older gent on CL, he said they were for a Eurovan. He indeed had an EV in his driveway and assured me they would fit my Vanagon because he had owned Vanagons as well.

Well.....

Based on fitting one of them to the rear, I'm going to have some work to do to make them work. They did mount on the studs so they technically fit. However, the studs were too short for cast versus steel wheels (normal) and the center protrusion of the axle knocked the centercap off of the wheel. I think the wheel seated before the axle interfered with the wheel, not 100% sure. I put the stock steel wheel back on and started reading versus go any further.

Searching here, I just found a reference to the Eurovan centerbore being 57.1 and too small for the Vanagon fronts so I'll need to deal with that as well, if I want to make these work. I'm sure the front centerbore is in here somewhere or I can measure it. (My grease cap appears to be around 27mm versus some of the taller versions, by the way). So I end up with a centerbore in the front wheel that doesn't match the wheel cap or the rear wheel, I would probably have all (4) altered so they can be rotated and match.

I got curious as to what year of Eurovan they came off of so i could get some info and couldn't find them listed on any of the usual sites I use for VW alloy ID or searching for Eurovan specific alloys. I checked VW and Audi car wheels as well, no go.

The VW logo labels on the center caps seem a bit cheesy for OEM so I asked in the Eurovan section to see if they recognized them. Photos are in my gallery (only two photos), maybe you guys know what they are?

Here are details from the back side of the casting:
5 x 112
7 x 16"
Et40
Borbet
Front side of the casting has KBA 45899 on the lip by the valve stem.

Summary and questions:
Has anyone used these wheels on their Vanagons? What spacers and studs did you use?
Are there any existing VW caps that cover the front end centerbore needed for the Vanagon?
Do the Vanagon nut/bolt ball seats fit the Eurovan wheels?

Thanks!
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

888, those wheels are not factory VW. They are aftermarket made by Borbet. The center bores may need to be opened up, but it depends on that the original application was for. They may already be big enough.

There is no doubt that you will need spacers for the front, but I would definitely recommend them for the rear too. The reason is due to the 2wd Vanagon's wider front track width. Adding spacers to the front and none to the rear exaggerates this width discrepancy.

The Borbet wheels use conical seat lugs, not ball seat.

If you drop a tape measure down the center bore until it touched the backside of the center and let me know that measurement, I can tell you if the addition of spacers will be enough to allow you to run the existing center caps.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply. This is sort of what I expected, I had been searching on Borbet 16" and hadn't found them yet but it seemed clear it wasn't likely VW OEM.

The inside depth of the bore is a little tough to measure. It's actually sort of a rounded bore versus a straight sided bore, I've added a photo in the gallery.

There is what appears to be a registered area to fit the axle OD at the axle facing side of the bore, it opens up a little and them starts the rounded shape. My 0 - 6 calipers won't fit down in the wheel and neither will my metric scale. Only thing I have is a 6" scale in inch....registered bore is pretty close to 2.75" and the bore at the centercap is close to 2.25".

I think I know what you're after and this probably isn't a lot of help??

I suspect I'll install one up front and see how it does with the grease cap. The grease cap is around 27mm, this is an 84 watercooled destined for a Subaru 2.5 swap.

Thanks again for the reply.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

888 wrote:

There is what appears to be a registered area to fit the axle OD at the axle facing side of the bore, it opens up a little and them starts the rounded shape. My 0 - 6 calipers won't fit down in the wheel and neither will my metric scale. Only thing I have is a 6" scale in inch....registered bore is pretty close to 2.75" and the bore at the centercap is close to 2.25".

All I need to know is the depth of that area from the backside of the center caps to the wheel/hub mating surface, not the diameter.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

1.800" from the outside back of the wheel to the middle/inside of the centercap.

I thought you were looking at interference in the bore.

Thanks
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

You should be able to get the wheels properly (not sticking out too far, keeping the offset correct for a Vanagon) to fit onto the front and retain the center caps, but you may need to drill a hole in the center cap for the tip of the speedo cable. Rear cap fitment isn't an issue with the proper spacers in place.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Thank you
ALstew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Hello I need some help with fitment. Thinking about picking up these wheels for my dads 2wd 88' wolfsburg tin top. I read the facts and the rears 17x8.5 is not a recommended fit. looking through the thread, I really like the look with the tin top, the air dam, body cladding.

levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Those CAN be made to fit.
I almost did this about 10 years ago, so I've forgotten the details.
Concerns;
It's a fine line for the rear, getting enough adapter/spacer because of the 55 ET and still being able to use the slider.
The 50 ET front has to be pushed out with spacers too, and I believe there is a concern about the front bearings dealing with a 20 mm spacer.

Christopher knows these porshe wheels very well.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

So i got a line on a set of 2013 jetta 16" 5x112 rims stock. Anyone know anything about them? What hardware would be needed. Sorry if this was covered in this thread, but cant read 145 pages
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
So i got a line on a set of 2013 jetta 16" 5x112 rims stock. Anyone know anything about them? What hardware would be needed. Sorry if this was covered in this thread, but cant read 145 pages

Assuming you are working with a 2wd, you would need to have the centers of the wheels machined to 66.56mm and you would need spacers, lugs and studs. If these are alloy wheels, you probably would not be able to run the center caps due to the Vanagon's large hubs.

candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
candyman wrote:

Assuming you are working with a 2wd, you would need to have the centers of the wheels machined to 66.56mm and you would need spacers, lugs and studs. If these are alloy wheels, you probably would not be able to run the center caps due to the Vanagon's large hubs.

Thanks for chiming in Chris! They are steels and for a syncro. Worth it in your opinion? Or are there better options out there? They want $200 for them seems high to me if needs a bunch of work to make it fit
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
Christopher Schimke wrote:
candyman wrote:

Thanks for chiming in Chris! They are steels and for a syncro. Worth it in your opinion? Or are there better options out there? They want $200 for them seems high to me if needs a bunch of work to make it fit

Yeah, a little on the spendy side.

For a Syncro, I would suggest spacers front and rear, new studs front and rear and set of lug nuts. The wheels wound not have to be machined though. This is assuming the wheels have a high offset, like ET45 or ET50.

1of6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I'll be picking up my new 1987 2WD Doka next week. In the meantime my 1992 is up for sale. I'm wondering if the alloys I have now will fit the older Doka? The wheels were originally from an Audi R8, they're staggered 18s...8.5/42 and 10.5/55 fitted with 235 24 18 and 285 40 18. The rears were fitted with H&R 1" spacers. I really like the wheels and I'd rather not sell them with my 1992 if I can fit them onto the 1987...thoughts?

2002 Turbo Beetle GLX, sold
1992 4 door Double Cab Transporter
1987 3 door Double Cab Transporter

Last edited by 1of6 on Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

1of6, congrats on the new Doka.

Those Audi wheels wound not be a very good fit for the new Doka though. 8,5" wide front wheels will poke out from the fender openings. Even if you did decide to install them, you would need to have the center cores machined to 66.56mm. On top of that, you would need spacers front and rear, new lugs front and rear and new rear studs.

1of6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Thanks Christopher, I appreciate your expertise!
2002 Turbo Beetle GLX, sold
1992 4 door Double Cab Transporter
1987 3 door Double Cab Transporter
kurtk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

This is a 'What wheel fits over my big brake?' question.

I have the NLA South African Starburst 15" wheels on my syncro, with the Passat/Audi 8EO 615 123 calipers up front as part of a big brake kit. The alloy starburst wheels will clear the calipers, but my vw/audi ET30 15" spare tire steel rim won't fit over the outside surface of the caliper. The inside surface of the steel wheel is dished enough so that it creates an interference fit as the wheel is fitted. An 8mm spacer helps a little, but not completely (and it doesn't leave much stud for the wheel nuts anyway).

The South African wheels are NLA, and I haven't any listed by anyone for individual sale. Who out there has these calipers and is running a 15" wheel? Let me know what you have!

Thanks
Kurt
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 142, 143, 144 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Page 143 of 174

Jump to: