Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 143, 144, 145 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
B-bear604
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Finally got my dream wheels, a set of Heritage wheels never used as the owner had the new rims installed at the dealer.
My question to you Chris do you need to open up the centerbore on all 4 wheels or just the front two?
LOL I'll also be contacting you soon for spacers and studs.

Thanks Brent

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2005 Jetta Wagon TDI
1985 Mercedes 380sl
Pschneider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

https://vermont.craigslist.org/wto/d/mercedes-wheels/6361129567.html

Has anyone fitted Mercedes W201 OEM wheels to their Vanagon? If so, interested in any photos. Have an '87 Westfalia with the original 14" wheels and 205/70R14 tires. Want to move into a 15 or 16" wheel with some aggressive snows soon. Thank you. Let me know if I can provide any more information on these wheels. I don't have it but did request details from the seller.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

kurtk wrote:
This is a 'What wheel fits over my big brake?' question.

I have the NLA South African Starburst 15" wheels on my syncro, with the Passat/Audi 8EO 615 123 calipers up front as part of a big brake kit. The alloy starburst wheels will clear the calipers, but my vw/audi ET30 15" spare tire steel rim won't fit over the outside surface of the caliper. The inside surface of the steel wheel is dished enough so that it creates an interference fit as the wheel is fitted. An 8mm spacer helps a little, but not completely (and it doesn't leave much stud for the wheel nuts anyway).

The South African wheels are NLA, and I haven't any listed by anyone for individual sale. Who out there has these calipers and is running a 15" wheel? Let me know what you have!

Thanks
Kurt

The Merecedes Benz 15" steelies will fit over the Audi G57 brakes with a spacer. That's what I have for a spare. I don't know where you are but I have some extras if you need one.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Pschneider wrote:
https://vermont.craigslist.org/wto/d/mercedes-wheels/6361129567.html

Has anyone fitted Mercedes W201 OEM wheels to their Vanagon? If so, interested in any photos. Have an '87 Westfalia with the original 14" wheels and 205/70R14 tires. Want to move into a 15 or 16" wheel with some aggressive snows soon. Thank you. Let me know if I can provide any more information on these wheels. I don't have it but did request details from the seller.

I have a 15 x 6.5 version of those on my '84 tin top. No spacers necessary but the holes needs to be enlarged and you'll need longer studs in the rear.
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pschneider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Jake, could you send some photos of your tintop with these wheels? Would love to see the look. Could you specify the lugs and hole size required? What size tires are you running? I'm going to install Nokian Hakka R2's. Thank you!
Pschneider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Jake, cancel the photo request as I found all your posts. Love the one in the snow with the chains and those wheels look like they were made for the Vanagon. Thank you.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Pschneider wrote:
Jake, cancel the photo request as I found all your posts. Love the one in the snow with the chains and those wheels look like they were made for the Vanagon. Thank you.

Its funny how much better they look on a Vanagon compared to the original Mercedes, isn't it?

I think those tires were 205/60-15 - or maybe 205/65-15. She's been on 225/55-16s for years now...
www.thebassspa.com
Pschneider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Jake, could you send me a link to the correct studs for the rear? Can I use the bolts on my OEM 14” wheels? If not, could you send me a link to the correct bolts? I’m increasing the hole size from 12 to 14mm, correct? Is there a link to how that is accomplished in a machine shop? Is this a standard practice in a wheel & tire center? Thank you!
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Pschneider wrote:
Jake, could you send me a link to the correct studs for the rear? Can I use the bolts on my OEM 14” wheels? If not, could you send me a link to the correct bolts? I’m increasing the hole size from 12 to 14mm, correct? Is there a link to how that is accomplished in a machine shop? Is this a standard practice in a wheel & tire center? Thank you!

You need to talk to Christopher Schimke at T3 Technique - he carries all the parts and the knowledge, too! Very Happy

[email protected]
www.thebassspa.com
bajaleo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

My 1984 Vanagon camper with 19" Porsche lobster claw wheels.

Big thanks to Chris at T3 for the adapters and advice.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Antkneebrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

anyone ever put 20's on a Vanagon lowered what complications would I have to tackle?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

nice looking rims, now fix your poptop seal and your bumper end cap...
should have a look at the fuel lines too.. Laughing
bajaleo wrote:
My 1984 Vanagon camper with 19" Porsche lobster claw wheels.

Big thanks to Chris at T3 for the adapters and advice.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1of6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Found a set of American Racing 18 x 8 with ET40, tires are 225 zr 18...will these work on a 1987 2wd Doka?
2002 Turbo Beetle GLX, sold
1992 4 door Double Cab Transporter
1987 3 door Double Cab Transporter
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

1of6 wrote:
Found a set of American Racing 18 x 8 with ET40, tires are 225 zr 18...will these work on a 1987 2wd Doka?

An 18x8 ET40 wheel can work with spacers, lugs, and studs. However, we would need to see a photo or get a part number to look up in order to know if there are any potential center cap issues.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
bajaleo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Thanks for noticing some of the many flaws in my van!

It's remarkable how you can see my fuel lines in this picture.

danfromsyr wrote:
should have a look at the fuel lines too.. Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
whatmepanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Saw some 16" Mercedes wheels 16x8ET51 listed at a good price. He had them on a 85, think they'd be ok on a '81 in terms of the sliding doors/wheel wells?

Also any recommended tires for these rims? I'd probably be looking at all weathers.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

bajaleo wrote:
Thanks for noticing some of the many flaws in my van!

It's remarkable how you can see my fuel lines in this picture.

danfromsyr wrote:
should have a look at the fuel lines too.. :lol:

He misspoke about the bumper end caps; if they're missing they don't need to be fixed, merely replaced. Now, one of mine is cracked and needs to be fixed. That's different. My poptop seal is pretty crappy, too.

He's right about the fuel lines, though. If you don't know for certain that they've been replaced recently you should do that job. Even if they look good on visual inspection they might be separating internally. Everybody on this forum would advise you to replace them. Smart move to do so.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

whatmepanic wrote:
Saw some 16" Mercedes wheels 16x8ET51 listed at a good price. He had them on a 85, think they'd be ok on a '81 in terms of the sliding doors/wheel wells?

Also any recommended tires for these rims? I'd probably be looking at all weathers.

!6x8s aren't really a good fit for the front of a 2wd. Yes, they can be installed, but you have to push them quite a bit outwards from the ideal location in order to get them to clear the suspension.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
whatmepanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Thanks. Looking it seemed that the spacers would have cost more than the rims! Darn was hoping I found a good deal.

Need to get new tires and am hoping to upgrade from the 14s at the same time.
mattmcbroom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Has anyone seem this wheel ran before? Its a 16x7.5 aluminum mercedes s class 6 spoke.
[/img]
'78 Yamaha xs650 special
'85 vanagon gl
'92 volvo 240 sedan
'01 saab 9-5
'97 awd Astro

Live to love and love to live but don't forget to give the love and love to give
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 143, 144, 145 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Page 144 of 174

Jump to: