Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 145, 146, 147 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
2003 c240. No pics currently

Cool, I have a set of those. Christoper can help you with the proper hardware; spacers front and rear, and lugs, studs, drill..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I’ve kept my eye on this thread for years but don’t recall seeing these wheels before. Anyone have any experience with them on a Syncro? ET41.

Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Do the ASA Mercedes style wheels sold by tirerack have the same specs as the ones sold by several vanagon parts suppliers?

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServle...toModClar=
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Pinetops wrote:
Do the ASA Mercedes style wheels sold by tirerack have the same specs as the ones sold by several vanagon parts suppliers?

Yes, all of those wheels are being purchased from Tire Rack and sold by the various vendors. They all come from the same source. ASA is a brand owned by Tire Rack. The difference is that Tire Rack does not condone their use on a Vanagon due to the wheels not being the correct offset and not being strong enough. Many, many of those wheels have cracked and bent when used on a Vanagon. They are just a cheap, poorly made wheel produced and sold for a profit, not because its a great product. Check out the photos below. This is just a sample of the many, many wheels that have failed, but no one talks about it because the wheels are so popular and are pushed so hard as being "correct" for the Vanagon.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Thanks Christopher, that is quite compelling info!

So would you say an original set that came off a MB still wouldn't be a good choice for vanagons?

I don't like the looks quite as much but I do know where I can pick up some of the nice forged CLK's, that or just stay with the stock steel wheels.
COLORADOKID
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Looking at these 16x7.5 ET 46, wondering about spacers, and if the center cap will work?
https://images.craigslist.org/00V0V_gTJMZeoFOvF_600x450.jpg

How would some c240 16x7 ET 34's fit compared to the 16x 7.5 ET 46?

https://images.craigslist.org/00t0t_iolcIRsa9t4_600x450.jpg
Jim Hunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Alaskaberrys wrote:
Christopher Schimke wrote:
Refinishing wheels can be done in several ways...

For the final paint, you will get a much better looking, more durable finish from a professional paint system sprayed from a spray gun. You would also have a much greater choice of colors and any good painter can create a clearcoat that is the exact amount of gloss that you prefer. If you are stuck with aerosol cans, your color choice is a little more limited and you will be stuck with limited options for the amount of gloss the wheels end up with. I would do some experimenting and a smooth piece of scrap with various brands of paint until you come up with what you like. I would recommend staying with one brand of paint for both the color and clear coats. This will ensure compatibility. Not that you can't mix brands, but it can be risky. Plastikote offers a few colors of wheel paint and they also have a satin clear in their "trunk" line of paints. That may be an option for you.

Good luck!

Wow, thanks for all that Chris! It happens our paint store in Juneau can mix up rattle can colors and carry a filling primer like you describe so next trip in I'll have them match up a color. Great to know I can do this with the tire in place, two more jack stands and I can make a weekend of it.

Much appreciated! Cool

Mark

Mark ,

Chris was as always very helpful and very good on descriptions too!
As a wheel repair shop owner in Ljubljana , Slovenia and having great experience from snow and winter wheels as already suggested from Chris you must have the wheels sandblasted , salt corrosion can be everywhere hidden and failure to remove it completely may result in paint flaking.I recommend an fine grit like 0.04 to be used (cut wire it would be ideal).Consider an durable option to have them powder coated from a good wheel shop from your area...You can achieve this matte finish way more easily versus regular 2 stage paint...

Good luck,
Jim

Last edited by Jim Hunter on Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Jim Hunter wrote:
Alaskaberrys wrote:
Refinishing wheels can be done in several ways...

For the final paint, you will get a much better looking, more durable finish from a professional paint system sprayed from a spray gun. You would also have a much greater choice of colors and any good painter can create a clearcoat that is the exact amount of gloss that you prefer. If you are stuck with aerosol cans, your color choice is a little more limited and you will be stuck with limited options for the amount of gloss the wheels end up with. I would do some experimenting and a smooth piece of scrap with various brands of paint until you come up with what you like. I would recommend staying with one brand of paint for both the color and clear coats. This will ensure compatibility. Not that you can't mix brands, but it can be risky. Plastikote offers a few colors of wheel paint and they also have a satin clear in their "trunk" line of paints. That may be an option for you.

Good luck!

Wow, thanks for all that Chris! It happens our paint store in Juneau can mix up rattle can colors and carry a filling primer like you describe so next trip in I'll have them match up a color. Great to know I can do this with the tire in place, two more jack stands and I can make a weekend of it.

Much appreciated! Cool

Mark

Mark ,

Chris was as always very helpful and he are very good on descriptions too!
As a wheel repair shop owner in Ljubljana , Slovenia and having great experience from snow and winter wheels as already suggested from Chris you must have the wheels sandblasted , salt corrosion can be everywhere hidden and failure to remove it completely may result in paint flaking.I recommend an fine grit like 0.04 to be used (cut wire it would be ideal).Consider an durable option to have them powder coated from a good wheel shop from your area...You can achieve this matte finish way more easily versus regular 2 stage paint...

Good luck,
Jim

Thanks for the advice Jim, good info to know on the extent of salt infusion. My location - and lack of a second set of wheels - has hamstrung me for now. I’d have to remove the tires to ship the wheels out of town as we’ve no road access to the rest of the world - ferry and small plane only to Juneau. My plan was to do a good cleaning - pressure wash and sand to abate the current corrosion and refinish myself one or two at a time with tires on.

I’m searching for a similar fitting wheel - as a spare and to eventually grow into a set for studded tires for our icy winter conditions (much easier here to have two sets of wheels with no local tire shop). At that point I can look into having them shipped and professionally done in Seattle. I really like the look of that wheel.

A question for you, are the Autec wheels common on the T3’s in your location? With no suppliers here in the states our only tire shop in Juneau, LesSchwaub, was having a difficult time sourcing a wheel to match the offsets of the Autec 7,5 x 16" (KBA number: 45311) with a 205/80 R16 mounted to use as a spare with the same diameter. They took my info, but a week later and I still haven’t heard back...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jim Hunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Mark,

Lets try to see if we can make this a proper DIY job as well...
The answer is sure but you have to invest on some tools/supplies...
I am sure that you have a power washer , most of them can be converted to sand blasting machines , a bag of grit and you are ready to remove salt corrosion effectively forever... It will save you lots of time and even the least effective sand blasting gun is way more efficient than any other method to remove salt and general corrosion from alloys , a good rinse , a wash with aluminium stabilizer and you are ready to apply a quality 2 stage primer...
Maybe it will be going to cost you a bit more but not that much if we have to consider : tires removal , installation and balancing , shipping both ways , sandblasting , paint....

As for the wheels , they are not very common to be honest but not hard to find too ! I think the shipping it will be a bit high but I can help you either way , one more thing to consider is that Autec has still some stock of these wheels new http://autec-wheels.de/en/design-program/discontinued-wheels/type-a-arctic-brilliant-silver.html...

If you decide to go the DIY way do not hesitate to ask anything !!! Also you can pm me or if you like you may start a new thread to keep Chris thread clean...

And last but not least you must live at the heaven !!!

Jim
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Alaskaberrys wrote:

A question for you, are the Autec wheels common on the T3’s in your location? With no suppliers here in the states our only tire shop in Juneau, LesSchwaub, was having a difficult time sourcing a wheel to match the offsets of the Autec 7,5 x 16" (KBA number: 45311) with a 205/80 R16 mounted to use as a spare with the same diameter. They took my info, but a week later and I still haven’t heard back...

Do you know the offset of your Autec wheels? Also, have you checked to see if the previous owner installed any spacers front and/or rear? If so, how thick are they? If you let me know, I'll see what I can find for your spare.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Pinetops wrote:
So would you say an original set that came off a MB still wouldn't be a good choice for vanagons?

Yes, the factory Mercedes wheels are much, much better quality. Mercedes has their wheels made by Ronal, BBS, and other high-end wheel manufacturers. They usually require more work to get them installed, but the results and peace of mind are well worth it.

Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

benandmj wrote:
I’ve kept my eye on this thread for years but don’t recall seeing these wheels before. Anyone have any experience with them on a Syncro? ET41.

What is the size of that wheel?

Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Alaskaberrys wrote:

Do you know the offset of your Autec wheels? Also, have you checked to see if the previous owner installed any spacers front and/or rear? If so, how thick are they? If you let me know, I'll see what I can find for your spare.

Thanks Chris, most appreciated - I had no idea it would be this difficult to find something for a workable spare. Woulda had Busman buy an extra wheel before shipping if I had known. As Jim pointed out above, at this point shipping will be a bit high for another Autec to match.

I found “ET35” stamped onto the back of a front tire I took off, seems pretty straight forward assuming European wheels use the same nomenclature - found no spacer. Was studs coming from the hub, didn’t measure them tho. Also found “A756” and “7.5JX16H2” along with another number that looks to be a serial number stamp but pretty indecipherable along with “Autec” and “Germany”.

I haven’t pulled a rear - i’ll do that tomorrow to see if any spacers there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Jim Hunter wrote:
As for the wheels , they are not very common to be honest but not hard to find too ! I think the shipping it will be a bit high but I can help you either way , one more thing to consider is that Autec has still some stock of these wheels new http://autec-wheels.de/en/design-program/discontinued-wheels/type-a-arctic-brilliant-silver.html...

Thanks for the tips and the offer Jim, I’ll get ahold of you if I do decide to bite the shipping bullet.

Jim Hunter wrote:

And last but not least you must live at the heaven !!!

Heaven w/o good internet or shipping Smile

(yes, wouldn’t trade it for anything....well....perhaps a road to a good hardware store Rolling Eyes )

I hope to make it to your part if the world before too long!
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Alaskaberrys wrote:
Alaskaberrys wrote:

I found “ET35” stamped onto the back of a front tire I took off, seems pretty straight forward assuming European wheels use the same nomenclature - found no spacer. Was studs coming from the hub, didn’t measure them tho. Also found “A756” and “7.5JX16H2” along with another number that looks to be a serial number stamp but pretty indecipherable along with “Autec” and “Germany”.

Not 100% identical in appearance, but close. Size and offset are identical.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Alaskaberrys wrote:
Alaskaberrys wrote:

Not 100% identical in appearance, but close. Size and offset are identical.

Perfect, thanks Chris! I’m off to find a 205/80 to fit...
1of6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I have a line on four very good 5X112 Ronal wheels (7J x 15H2 E23 ) supposedly off a Mercedes 450SL. Will these bolt onto my 1987 2WD Doka and will I be able to fit anything like a 235/75/15 with a mild lift kit?
[/img]
2002 Turbo Beetle GLX, sold
1992 4 door Double Cab Transporter
1987 3 door Double Cab Transporter
rs251
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Yes those will fit perfectly. 215/75/15 BFG K02 would be a great tire choice for a 2WD Doka. You will need new wheel hardware from www.t3technique.com or www.werke1.com locally in BC
1of6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip about werke1...hadn't heard of them.
2002 Turbo Beetle GLX, sold
1992 4 door Double Cab Transporter
1987 3 door Double Cab Transporter
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

1of6 wrote:
I have a line on four very good 5X112 Ronal wheels (7J x 15H2 E23 ) supposedly off a Mercedes 450SL.

Get 'em. Best wheels ever.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 145, 146, 147 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Page 146 of 174

Jump to: