Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 146, 147, 148 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Omg those Ronals are gorgeous
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I've been looking at these Audi wheels: They're 16X7. I am not sure about the offset -- hoping someone can recognize them and let me know!

Thanks in advance!
Van Geaux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

A member in Jersey has these posted in the part it forward thread. Will they fit a 2wd vanagon? If so with what mods?

Written on the back:
A 220 401 01 02 (MB P/N)
Ronal
71/2J x 16H2 ET45

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

zuhandenheit wrote:
I've been looking at these Audi wheels: They're 16X7. I am not sure about the offset -- hoping someone can recognize them and let me know!

Thanks in advance!

Sorry, no picture. If you can repost it, I'll take a look.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Van Geaux wrote:
A member in Jersey has these posted in the part it forward thread. Will they fit a 2wd vanagon? If so with what mods?

Written on the back:
A 220 401 01 02 (MB P/N)
Ronal
71/2J x 16H2 ET45

Those wheels have lug holes that are already large enough (so, no drilling necessary) and they require large ball seat lugs. The best way to mount them is with spacers front and rear, new rear studs, new rear lug nuts, and either new front lug bolts or a set of high quality conversion studs (not the cheap studs. Those will pull out of the hub) and another set of lug nuts to match the rear.

And just for the record, those wheels are ET46, not ET45. Small detail, but it can be important.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
Van Geaux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Thanks Chris. If I can figure out how to get them from Nj to NC I will give you my business for the parts if you have all that stuff?
90Doka_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
And just for the record, those wheels are ET46, not ET45. Small detail, but it can be important.

You really know your wheels! I just double checked the writing on the back of the wheels in question for my own sanity. ET46
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Alaskaberrys wrote:
Alaskaberrys wrote:

A question for you, are the Autec wheels common on the T3’s in your location? With no suppliers here in the states our only tire shop in Juneau, LesSchwaub, was having a difficult time sourcing a wheel to match the offsets of the Autec 7,5 x 16" (KBA number: 45311) with a 205/80 R16 mounted to use as a spare with the same diameter. They took my info, but a week later and I still haven’t heard back...

Do you know the offset of your Autec wheels? Also, have you checked to see if the previous owner installed any spacers front and/or rear? If so, how thick are they? If you let me know, I'll see what I can find for your spare.

I found “ET35” stamped onto the back of a front tire I took off, seems pretty straight forward assuming European wheels use the same nomenclature - found no spacer. Was studs coming from the hub, didn’t measure them tho. Also found “A756” and “7.5JX16H2” along with another number that looks to be a serial number stamp but pretty indecipherable along with “Autec” and “Germany”.

Not 100% identical in appearance, but close. Size and offset are identical.

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServle...toModClar=

Well, I misled you a few posts back it seems. I removed the front wheel to do a temp refinish as per your helpful methodology and realized that there was indeed a spacer under those Autec wheels after all Embarassed

Looks like 15mm thick

with a 62mm center bore

and 46mm of studs w/o the spacer

Wondering if I'd have better luck finding a similar wheel with a shallower offset perhaps?

By the way, just finished the first etch prime coat after sanding today (like all day! Smile ) and already looks better!

Before...

and 1st prime.

This will go along way to preserving these wheels till I can have them powdercoated down the road.

Thanks Chris!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Neptuno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Well what do you think of these??
https://i.imgur.com/7Jy9e1T.jpg?1

Wheels:
Sparco Assetto Gara Black Painted
Size: 16"x7"
Offset: +35mm
Backspacing: 5.35"
Bolt Pattern: 5x112
Weight: 17.0 lbs
Finish: Black Painted
Hub Bore: 73.1mm (57.1mm hub rings are included)

Also, if you look closely, the drapes in the house match the Vanagon, illustrating outstanding thematic continuity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Does anyone know anything about these wheels?

levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Ronal r9 15"
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Thanks! Those are some good looking wheels.
1of6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Those look awfully similar to Ronal R9s...but not quite.
2002 Turbo Beetle GLX, sold
1992 4 door Double Cab Transporter
1987 3 door Double Cab Transporter
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Yep, you're right. They are a little different.
1of6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Definitely a question for Chris...
Still looking for wheels, guy says these were definitely on his brother's 450 Benz which should make them 5x112 but it looks like they measure 114.5???
Anyways, specs he sent are: Bolt pattern 5x114.3mm, Center bore 72.6 mm
Offset +40, Wheel size 18 x 8J, PCD 56, Style - American Racing AR883
Is he mistaken or are there adapters for this combo?
Thanks again if you can assist!

Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

1of6, judging from your drawing/tracing, i would say those are 5x114.3 too. It's possible to bolt a 5x114.3 wheel to a 5x112 car if the lug holes are large enough, but it's incredibly dangerous.

The problem with the adapter route is that the thinnest adapters we can make are 15mm thick. With a 40mm offset, the final offset would end up being 25mm. This isn't a problem on the rear, but the fronts will be positioned outward a little more than is necessary. If your van is stock height or raised, this may not pose a problem, but if it is lowered, just that little difference could result in some additional rubbing. The other issue is that with 15mm adapters, the lugs that mount the adapters to the hubs protrude from the wheel mounting surface by about 7mm. Some wheels have recesses in between the lug holes that can accommodate this, but not all wheels do.

The other issue with those wheels is that the the center caps will not fit and it's possible that the front hole that the center caps clip into may be too small to allow the front grease caps to pass through. That's just a guess based on the photo though. You would have to test fit them to know for sure.

RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

1of6 wrote:
Still looking for wheels, guy says these were definitely on his brother's 450 Benz which should make them 5x112 but it looks like they measure 114.5???

Probably running wobble-bolts...if not - eek!

Link

Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

RoryGirl wrote:
1of6 wrote:

Probably running wobble-bolts...if not - eek!

Link

Man, that video illustrates why ECS is known as the Walmart of the VW/Audi parts world. They pretty much gloss over the fact that in order to safely use wobble bolts, the wheels have to be perfectly hubcentric to the hubs and not a torque wrench in sight, just an impact.

Last edited by Christopher Schimke on Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
1of6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the feedback!
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

On the 114.3 topic, here's a pic of my van with a neighbor's Nissan Maxima wheel with that BCD on the front. I'd seen pix of a van with these on them and decided to test. Not an "A" fit, as they say. Longtime forum members might remember reports of a Westy with a Nissan V6 swap that was being driven on a lengthy honeymoon trip by a young couple and wound up sliding off a mountain road out west and getting totaled. That van used these wheels and was my inspiration for the test fit. The radius of the BCD is 1.15mm larger; not much, but enough to make it almost a force fit to get the wheel on there with the lugs binding on the insides of the lug holes. Also takes a flat seat lug instead of the ball seat of the Merc and VW wheels. I got CLKs instead.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 146, 147, 148 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Page 147 of 174

Jump to: