Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 148, 149, 150 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kitesurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

ok so just to make sure I understand, when I am looking for mercedes rims to fit my 2wd Vanagon I should look for 15 inches wheel only ?
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

kitesurfer wrote:
ok so just to make sure I understand, when I am looking for mercedes rims to fit my 2wd Vanagon I should look for 15 inches wheel only ?

You can definitely use 15", 16", 17", 18", etc wheels. The problem is that 16x8 wheels don't fit well on a 2wd. 16x7.5 wheels are a tight fit, but they can be used without having to push the front wheels outward too much. 16x7s are a good choice too.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Shameless pic whoring of my van. Lovin the new beetle heritage wheels Cool
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Those wheels always caught my eye on the new beetles. Looks great!
g shepherd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I agree— looks great!

I am tempted to add a van to the stable just to run these wheels.
Samaleshi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
You can definitely use 15", 16", 17", 18", etc wheels. The problem is that 16x8 wheels don't fit well on a 2wd. 16x7.5 wheels are a tight fit, but they can be used without having to push the front wheels outward too much. 16x7s are a good choice too.

Chris, just for reference, not for a micturating contest, this van had stock brakes and bored out Audi URS4 Fuchs(16x8, ET40), mounted with 15mm hub centric spacers and new hardware courtesy of you. We wrapped them with 215/70/16 BFG's. You might have been able to slip an ace of spades between the bead and the upper control arm in the front, same clearance between the outside of the rear and the slider. But they were lightweight forged awesomeness and you didn't see them around.

1987 Vanagon CoastMountain Hightop
1991 Jeep Comanche 4x4
1999 Jeep Cherokee 4x4
gkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Installed Mercedes rims with hardware supplied by Christopher at T3. Rear tires are 27x8.50 and front 205/75r14

vanaru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

6x16" Porsche Fuchs
15mm adapters on the front
20mm adapters on the rear
225/60/16 all round.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

And a WRX Sti to make them go fast! ^^^^ Cool

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
kitesurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

SteveVanB wrote:
Shameless pic whoring of my van. Lovin the new beetle heritage wheels Cool

Are these heritage wheels a direct fit on a Vanagon ?
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Have all you Syncro owners thrown away your OE 14" rims? I just need a single 6" rim so I can mount my spare on a matching width rim. Please PM me if you can spare a spare :^)
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
robbiecanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I posted this in the tires thread, guess it should go here too. 17' VW alltrack wheels, 225/65/17 ko2s, turned down hubs and bearing cap to 57.1mm, 15mm front/10mm rear spacers. Now hub centric. Fit great.

84' westfalia 1.8t
87' 4runner
91' 2.9 vr6 coupe
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I'll keep this short, unlike my other thread. Sorry to post twice, but I wanted to include a lot of detail in one thread, and then post just the essentials here:

I have a 1982 AAZ-powered van with stock 14s. I just came into possession of some 2008 CLK wheels: they are 17x7.5 and 17X8.5 offset is 36.

Would I need anything but new wheel hardware and some drilling? (Assuming I have the right size tires)

Will I have to modify my sliding door latch to avoid hitting the rear wheels?

I'm more concerned about performance than appearance. Can I expect a very big improvement in handling?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I almost ordered the hardware from Loogy, but I decided to take some time to think about this before I commit. I got a good enough deal that I could sell these on Craigslist and start over without a big hit.

However, at least one or two my steel wheels are slightly bent and will probably need to be replaced anyway, and I'm having no luck finding anything locally, and am seeing that I may pay as much for stock wheels as I paid for the MB wheels and tires I've got here!

I have a welder and am not terribly averse to modifying my sliding door hinge, if necessary.

I'm more worried about the weight and width of these significantly hurting my mpg and acceleration. Also, I'm not sure how to handle the spare situation.

bajaleo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

zuhandenheit wrote:
Will I have to modify my sliding door latch to avoid hitting the rear wheels?

Chris would probably know the answer to this question.

zuhandenheit wrote:
Also, I'm not sure how to handle the spare situation.

You're not changing your bolt pattern, so why can't you use your stock spare?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I'd be more concerned over the number of tire choices. 17" rims with C rated or 99+, too few options. I LOVE the rims you got. I wanted those myself. Just like the number of C or 99/better 14" tires dwindling, you'll get boxed in when the one last supplier no longer makes that tire. From what I had searched, there was only 1. I went with rims that ChrisToph3r suggested. Per usual with a "good deal" on rims, the other expenses will far outpace the cost of the rims. Tires, and hardware to mount them is much much more. Find some 15 or 16 inch rims, you'll be happier next time you have to buy a new set of tires.

As for the engine powering what you have at the road, well, most folks realize after jumping to a larger overall diameter that they then start realizing the true cost. Sticking to near stock overall size, 25.5" tall, and no more than 7" wide, your whole dynamic of the van will be maintained. I think 26.5" tall and 7.5" wide will still fit in the spare clam, maybe...
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

zuhandenheit wrote:
Also, I'm not sure how to handle the spare situation.

I'm using the Mercedes 16" CLKs and kept a stock 14" spare with five stock lug bolts and five stock lug nuts (for a flat on the front or the rear) in a Ziploc bag in the spare tray.
wyldryce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I'd take Christopher's reply as gospel, once he gives it, but those seem to have similar offset and width as the stagger fitment c class rims I put on my '85. As for tires I found the kumho Solus TA72 to be a great tire that has proper load handling for these rigs and does great in rain as well. I researched heavily before pulling the trigger and made sure these didn't drastically change the overall roll diameter. Feel free to PM me and I can give you more detail.
1of6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Here we go again...Audi S4 B8 alloys on a 2WD 1987 Doka?
8 x 18" ET47

2002 Turbo Beetle GLX, sold
1992 4 door Double Cab Transporter
1987 3 door Double Cab Transporter
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

1of6 wrote:
Here we go again...Audi S4 B8 alloys on a 2WD 1987 Doka?
8 x 18" ET47

Yep! Bore the centers, spacers front and rear, new studs, and new lugs. The only issue is center caps, in that they probably won't fit.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
1of6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Thanks as always Christopher! Will be seeing them this evening, but I thought the OEM Audi B8's had a larger centre bore of 66.56mm
2002 Turbo Beetle GLX, sold
1992 4 door Double Cab Transporter
1987 3 door Double Cab Transporter
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 148, 149, 150 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Page 149 of 174

Jump to: