Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 149, 150, 151 ... 171, 172, 173  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

1of6 wrote:
Thanks as always Christopher! Will be seeing them this evening, but I thought the OEM Audi B8's had a larger centre bore of 66.56mm

Sorry, I missed the "B8" part of your message. You are correct; they do have a 66.56mm bore.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Finally!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bajaleo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

SteveVanB wrote:
Finally!

Looks sharp!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

SteveVanB wrote:
Finally!

What are thoseeee
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

are those boxster wheels?
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

elizer wrote:

Yeppers!
Nie zu alt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Porsche Carrera 19" "Lobster Claws"

SteveVanB wrote:
elizer wrote:

Yeppers!

'66 VW Westfalia
'72 VW Westfalia
'04 Porsche Carrera 4S
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Nie zu alt wrote:
Porsche Carrera 19" "Lobster Claws"

SteveVanB wrote:
elizer wrote:

Yeppers!

Incorrect. These are indeed Boxster wheels. The Carrera wheels have an 11" wide rear. These are the 9.5" wide rear version
jordauto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Here's my addition to the ultimate wheel fitment guide. I've been looking locally for a set of CLK's for over two years and haven't been able to find any. In my quest I found these on kijiji. They are originally from a 2005 Mercedes C240. 16"X7" and ET31.

The wheels are about 21mm thick where the wheel bolts mount, but I was already running longer studs on the back. On the front I have big brakes using the VDUB engineering kit, which just needed longer studs. So the only modification is to drill the wheel bolt holes from 12mm to 14mm and then run small ball seat hardware. I took a different approach and machine a 60 degree countersink on the bolt holes to allow the use of common 60 degree conical hardware.

The finishing details are raised Mercedes center caps with the star removed and VW emblems from ebay installed.

bajaleo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

jordauto wrote:
Here's my addition to the ultimate wheel fitment guide. I've been looking locally for a set of CLK's for over two years and haven't been able to find any. In my quest I found these on kijiji. They are originally from a 2005 Mercedes C240. 16"X7" and ET31.

The wheels are about 21mm thick where the wheel bolts mount, but I was already running longer studs on the back. On the front I have big brakes using the VDUB engineering kit, which just needed longer studs. So the only modification is to drill the wheel bolt holes from 12mm to 14mm and then run small ball seat hardware. I took a different approach and machine a 60 degree countersink on the bolt holes to allow the use of common 60 degree conical hardware.

The finishing details are raised Mercedes center caps with the star removed and VW emblems from ebay installed.

Well done!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xhoser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Hello Samba family,

I recently repowered my 1989 Transporter Tristar. It now has a 1.9 TDI and is running great. I am rolling on 15" Rhein alloy wheels with Nokian street tires. My plan is to upgrade to 16" wheels when the current rubber wears out.

My question is: The 16" wheels & tires are better suited for the new transmission, but my current 15" tires have plenty of miles left on them. Am I doing any damage by leaving them on, or should I switch them out for the 16's sooner?

levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I've got to say a couple things.

First, that tristar is beautiful!
Fire engine red!
Wow.

Second, I think the rheins are the best looking wheels out there.
And they're not cheap.

You don't HAVE to go to 16s to run bigger rubber.
Whatever diameter tire you're wanting to run on 16s you can run the same diameter on the 15s.

You're not hurting anything by running the existing rubber till you decide what's up.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I agree with levi. Even though a lot of tire companies are moving from 15 and 16s to 17s (I feel like a lot follow the Jeep path) there are still plenty of options in 15s. If you were going from 14 I would say go with the 16s but since you have nice rheins keep what you got.

If you didn't regear maybe you could go with a taller tire on the 15 but other people are more experienced in that area than I am.
xhoser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

levi wrote:
I've got to say a couple things.

First, that tristar is beautiful!
Fire engine red!
Wow.

Second, I think the rheins are the best looking wheels out there.
And they're not cheap.

You don't HAVE to go to 16s to run bigger rubber.
Whatever diameter tire you're wanting to run on 16s you can run the same diameter on the 15s.

You're not hurting anything by running the existing rubber till you decide what's up.

Thank you for your complements, the fact that it's fire engine red (resprayed) is destiny I guess.....I'm a retired firefighter.

Could you go into what you mentioned a bit further??
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

You can get similar overall diameter regardless of the wheel diameter by getting a tire with a larger aspect ratio. Unless you are trying to clean a big brake kit or something you aren't hurting anything.
1of6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Having missed out on several deals on rims I pulled the pin and bought these remotely off of Craigslist. I see a lot of the earlier CLK rims here but I don't recall seeing any of the later model CLK320 wheels. They're Ronals, 16 inch diameter 7 and 8 inches wide with offsets of 32 and 38...will I have any issues fitting these to my 2WD 1987?

2002 Turbo Beetle GLX, sold
1992 4 door Double Cab Transporter
1987 3 door Double Cab Transporter
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

1of6 wrote:
Having missed out on several deals on rims I pulled the pin and bought these remotely off of Craigslist. I see a lot of the earlier CLK rims here but I don't recall seeing any of the later model CLK320 wheels. They're Ronals, 16 inch diameter 7 and 8 inches wide with offsets of 32 and 38...will I have any issues fitting these to my 2WD 1987?

Those will work just fine. I would recommend thin spacers for the front (just to mitigate and clearance issues) and you will need all new mounting hardware. No spacers in the rear. Center caps won't fit. You will have to drill out the lug holes to 37/64".

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
1of6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Phew. Great news, thanks Christopher!
1of6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Would like to go with BFGoodrich KO2 225/70/16 on those alloys if I can squeeze that combination in without lifting or rubbing - thoughts?
FWIW mine is a 2WD 1987 Doka.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I think these would look awesome on a Syncro

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/wto/d/mercedes-16-manhole/6652678233.html

16x8 ET34

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 149, 150, 151 ... 171, 172, 173  Next
Jump to:
Page 150 of 173

Jump to: