Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 164, 165, 166 ... 171, 172, 173  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

has anyone used these 2009 Jetta wheels on a vanagon? does it need adapters or modification?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

maco70 wrote:
Is there somebody can tell me please what is this nice rim ?

Thanks in advance,

did you ever find out what kind of wheels they were? they look like 2009 jetta wheels however I want to verify. Did you buy them and mount them to your vanagon? did they need modification?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jordauto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

The last post looks like the 15" Carrot wheels that Van-cafe was selling. Direct bolt on. The previous post showing the 2009 Jetta wheels, most Jettas were 5 on 100mm and the van is 5 on 112mm. If the wheels were the correct bolt pattern of 5 on 112mm you would still need to have the centre bores machined and made larger to 66.56mm. The offset or ET would need to be in the range of about ET30-ET39 otherwise spacers will be needed if the offset is greater. Plus you will need new studs and nuts, and possibly longer studs on the back and longer wheel bolts up front. If you provide the bolt pattern, wheel diameter and offset number then you will get better answers.
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

CLK FS (not mine) FYI
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/wto/d/sacramento-mercedes-benz-clk-w208-clk/7289074601.html
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

1988M5 wrote:
CLK FS (not mine) FYI
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/wto/d/sacramento-mercedes-benz-clk-w208-clk/7289074601.html

$800 is pretty steep for wheels that need to be refinished.
"Scratches, pitting, curb rash, face gouging, tire machine mounting marks, paint fade, tire bead residue, clear coat aging all present."

MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Hi all. I am the owner of a 2002 eurovan camper, but I enjoy spending time here in the Vanagon sections as you guys have a lot of good information. This thread is one of them. I recently bought a set of CLK wheels to use on our van for summer wheels/tire. From the looks of mine they are newer (I think they are 2002) than the ones typically sought after in this thread. I think they are a very fine looking set of wheels.

I thought I did my home work and these are the same bolt pattern, the ET is 37 (mine is currently ET49) is which is only one mm smaller than the offset of the Gowesty wheels I was looking at, that are suppose to be ideal.
https://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?id=4400&category_id=370&category_parent_id=

And the bore was bigger, but planning on getting some boar adaptor rings. 57.1 to 66.6. All good or so I thought until I try to mount them up and the lug bolts do not fit the through the holes. DANG it M12 vs M14.

OK so now I plan on drilling them out. Was going to use the 9/16" bit I have. But upon further reading folk recommend 37/64". Is it worth my while to get this bigger bit? Pros/Cons?

Now for the ball seat. I am pretty sure that my van comes with big balls (ha ha). Do the CLK come with small balls. What exactly is the big vs small measurement. For some on-line reading it suggest R12 vs R14. But isn't there some R13~ish stuff too. Can someone educate me on this? Not everything is labeled with their radius. Is a small ball going to be R12?

Finally on the lug bolts themselves. MY OE bolts have the free floating ball seat that rotate freely on the bolt like a washer. Most aftermarkets do not. Figure this won't be too much of an issue. For length, I do not need to run a spacer so about the same length as I currently have. Read that I should have at least the diameter (14mm) of the bolt engaged into the thread. This should be easy to measure. For buying, is the length the total length with the hex head, or is it simply the thread length.

Thank you for entertaining my questions. Though I have been a motor head most of my life, this German car thing is a first for me.
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Last nights test fit. Drilled out to 9/16". Still need to figure out the bolts.

GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I haven't seen these wheels in here yet, so I'll add them to the mix.

These are the VW GTI "Austin" wheels, they're 18x7.5, ET49. 5x112.

The center hub is 57.1mm, so I had them machined to 66.56mm.

The tires are 225/40R18's.

The fronts are running with a 15mm spacer and clear everything with plenty of room.

Front grease caps need to be cut down to clear.

The rears are currently installed with no spacer, and bolt up and clear as is. The center cap covers DO NOT fit on the rear, so I'm running them without center caps.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

^^^ That's not my look but I'm a fool for those GTI wheels, er, um curb magnets.

Well done.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
^^^ That's not my look but I'm a fool for those GTI wheels, er, um curb magnets.

Well done.

Thanks! They're not everyone's style but I wanted to do something a little different. I went big wheels and down low, where a lot of people go jacked up and bigger tires.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

What's the load range on those rim protectors? Laughing
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
What's the load range on those rim protectors? Laughing

5476lbs for the 4 of them according to manufacturer's specs(According to the tire shop's quoting of their specs anyway)
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Riddle me this:
The Mercedes wheels I bought are suppose to have a center bore of 66.6 or 66.57mm.
https://www.wheel-size.com/size/mercedes/c-class/2002/#trim-c-320-eudm-215

https://www.autorimshop.com/brand-new-16-replaceme...4ec50cfa14

Everything I read about Mercedes wheels say it is a 66.6 bore. Even measuring I get 66.6, though I do not have a bore gauge thing and cannot get my calipers full in there, so the measurements are roughly done with a ruler to confirm.

So I ordered a set of 66.6 to 57.1 hub rings. Cheap plastic. They do not fit. I can persuade them onto the wheel, after buffing clean both surfaces. But when I try to get them on the hub they get mangled. Must be the cheap plastic rings. SO I buy some nicer aluminum ones. Fits over the hub fine. Then I mount the wheel and pull the ring into the wheel by evenly tightening the lug bolts. Perfect. Till I try to take off the wheel and it is locked on. Take even more persuading and get the wheel off.

I am beginning to think that those benz wheels are not 66.6. The next size down would be 66.1. Never heard of this size bore. Will a set of 66.1 to 57.1 work?
Neil Davies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Hi all, been a looong time since I've been on The Samba! Good to be back though!
I started at the beginning of this thread, but I'm not going to read all 167 pages! Just thought I'd add in my wheel choice to this thread and my reasons.
My wife has a 1980 Devon Moonraker, originally a 1600 but now running a 2.0 type 4 on the original gearbox. I'm doing a decent chunk of welding to it, but while its off the road I thought I'd do a couple of little tweaks - namely a 40mm drop and a set of wheels and tyres. Well, it needs 3 new tyres anyway, and I really don't want to buy new 14s...
Problem is, wife likes the steels and has said I can do what I want as long as I keep her hubcaps, so I've gone for Mercedes steels, which I'll have to weld some clips to.
I've managed to find some brand new spare wheels from breakers yard online, 7x16 on the front and when I track down a pair within budget, it'll have 7.5x16 on the back.
Fronts are off a C-class, part number A2034000302, and are ET37. As the stock wheels are ET39, I decided to go as close as I could to original. Apparently, the inside edge is 17.1mm closer to the suspension, and the outer is 21.1mm closer to the arch, but with the bigger diameter, the clearance to the suspension stays much the same as stockas the upright tapers in. I'm going for a 195/60 commercial tyre up front, which is a couple of mm shorter than stock.
The back ones I'm looking at are off an E-class, part number A2104000802 and are ET41, which puts the inside edge 27.4mm closer to the suspension and the outside edge 23.4mm closer to the arch. I think I'm going for a 215/60, which is a few mm taller, but should help with the gearing, and again, will be a commercial tyre.

The website I used for helping decide on offsets (there are a few different ETs available for the big Merc wheels) is www.willtheyfit.com - very useful for comparisons!

'86 Scirocco special project - still measuring up...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VanMan2009
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

GoEverywhere wrote:

I love those wheels! I've considered them as well, but wondered what they'd look like on a van. I really like the how the trailing angle 'flair' part of the wheel matches the angle of the door where it meets the B pillar. those little details bring it together
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

VanMan2009 wrote:
GoEverywhere wrote:

I love those wheels! I've considered them as well, but wondered what they'd look like on a van. I really like the how the trailing angle 'flair' part of the wheel matches the angle of the door where it meets the B pillar. those little details bring it together

You know, they do match! I don't know that I ever put that together before. They're a bit different than what you usually see on Vanagons, which is what I like most about them.
happy2CU
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Neil Davies wrote:
Hi all, been a looong time since I've been on The Samba! Good to be back though!
I started at the beginning of this thread, but I'm not going to read all 167 pages! Just thought I'd add in my wheel choice to this thread and my reasons.
My wife has a 1980 Devon Moonraker, originally a 1600 but now running a 2.0 type 4 on the original gearbox. I'm doing a decent chunk of welding to it, but while its off the road I thought I'd do a couple of little tweaks - namely a 40mm drop and a set of wheels and tyres. Well, it needs 3 new tyres anyway, and I really don't want to buy new 14s...
Problem is, wife likes the steels and has said I can do what I want as long as I keep her hubcaps, so I've gone for Mercedes steels, which I'll have to weld some clips to.
I've managed to find some brand new spare wheels from breakers yard online, 7x16 on the front and when I track down a pair within budget, it'll have 7.5x16 on the back.
Fronts are off a C-class, part number A2034000302, and are ET37. As the stock wheels are ET39, I decided to go as close as I could to original. Apparently, the inside edge is 17.1mm closer to the suspension, and the outer is 21.1mm closer to the arch, but with the bigger diameter, the clearance to the suspension stays much the same as stockas the upright tapers in. I'm going for a 195/60 commercial tyre up front, which is a couple of mm shorter than stock.
The back ones I'm looking at are off an E-class, part number A2104000802 and are ET41, which puts the inside edge 27.4mm closer to the suspension and the outside edge 23.4mm closer to the arch. I think I'm going for a 215/60, which is a few mm taller, but should help with the gearing, and again, will be a commercial tyre.

The website I used for helping decide on offsets (there are a few different ETs available for the big Merc wheels) is www.willtheyfit.com - very useful for comparisons!

I went a similar direction with my wheels and was looking for a way to mount my hubcaps. I'd be curious to see your clips once done if you don't mind posting.
Neil Davies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I've got 2 ideas for the hubcaps. First is to use the pre-67 style clips drilled and riveted in place, but I think that might be really hard to get the position exact. Second method is using T4 or Caddy caps that clip onto the lugs and then built something from there to hold the stock cap. I'm thinking along the lines of a big screw thread 3d printed, and the other half epoxied onto the back of the cap.
As you can see from the rust, I'm a long way off that yet!
'86 Scirocco special project - still measuring up...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
happy2CU
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I was thinking of drilling and fitting 3 screws around but what stoped me was that, I'm not sur about exact position and don't want to end up with holes all around Very Happy. Good luck with the rust.
Surfwagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Update they do rub don't listen to me!

Run 7mm spacers in the front and remove the two bolts on the rear drum. that's really all the modification you need to run the 320 CLK rims (98-00) on a 2wd vanagon

To be honest I haven’t gone through all 165 pages of this thread but I wanted to do a quick write up of my experience with 215/70/16r tires on a stock Vanagon 2wd.

The rims I used are the 98-00 clk 320 rims. Chris has done many great write ups on these rims and why you can run them on an unmodified van. The one that helped me the most was “why you shouldn’t get cocky”.

The tires are 215/70/16r Cooper discoverer at3, rated at 100 they are better rated that the stock tires at 97 so I feel safe on that front.

I installed them without any spacers and the original bolts and nuts. I have 7mm spacers in the mail that arrive Monday and I’ll have to get longer bolts to fit. But after waiting months slowly saving for tires are was too excited not to put them on.

You can see in the pictures that they only have 1-3 mm of space between the arm. For the short drive I did today that seemed fine and I didn’t rub. I almost maxed out the jack to see how articulation would play into the fact, but the tires were not scratched and didn’t rub.

In a pinch it works. For long term driving you’re going to want the longer bolts with the smaller seat and the correct small seat nuts. Hope this helps.

Van

[/b]

Last edited by Surfwagon on Mon May 03, 2021 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 164, 165, 166 ... 171, 172, 173  Next
Jump to:
Page 165 of 173

Jump to: