Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I think these Sprinter 16" rims fit, with a spacer? Anyway, I am overloaded with too many Merc rims, but perhaps someone near the Minneapolis Metro wants something like these?

Good luck.

(Not affiliated with the seller)

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/search/wta?near...p;sort=rel
Vanderbuilt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

2001 Passat 15x7 ET45 3B0601025A rims.

So, I'm considering these rims for my 1982 air cooled Westy. I searched this thread and it looks like they'll work but wanted to check if there's any issues with using these before I pull the trigger.

I'm sure the caps might be an issue but I'm sure I can figure out some solution as long as they partially fit. Possibly cut out the center VW logo.

Also wondering what I'll need to do to use them. Assuming centers machined to 66.56mm? After that I'm a bit fuzzy. 15mm spacers front and rear or smaller for an 1982? I'm sure I'll probably just be getting everything from t3technique so I'm guessing these questions might be moot but thought I'd ask.

I'm in Astoria Oregon and if these need machining, is there anyone that they would recommend to do the work. Either close by or possibly Portland or Salem.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks.
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Vanderbuilt wrote:
2001 Passat 15x7 ET45 3B0601025A rims.

So, I'm considering these rims for my 1982 air cooled Westy. I searched this thread and it looks like they'll work but wanted to check if there's any issues with using these before I pull the trigger.

I'm sure the caps might be an issue but I'm sure I can figure out some solution as long as they partially fit. Possibly cut out the center VW logo.

Also wondering what I'll need to do to use them. Assuming centers machined to 66.56mm? After that I'm a bit fuzzy. 15mm spacers front and rear or smaller for an 1982? I'm sure I'll probably just be getting everything from t3technique so I'm guessing these questions might be moot but thought I'd ask.

I'm in Astoria Oregon and if these need machining, is there anyone that they would recommend to do the work. Either close by or possibly Portland or Salem.

Thanks.

I would GUESS they're exactly the same as my GTI wheels. I had to machine out the center bore(I did mine myself) on the FRONT only. The rear fit without machining on my '80. Dunno about the later ones but my '80 should be the same as your '82.

I've got 15mm spacers on the front, I could likely have gone smaller. I tried 5mm spacers first and they just barely rubbed the A arm, so I'd guess 7-10mm would be enough. I had 15mm's so I used them and called it good.
No spacers needed in the rear.

You'll need to use the lug bolts from the Passat as the Vanagon lugs have a slightly larger shoulder that won't fit. The thread pitch is the same.

I replaced the dust caps with ones that fit inside the hubs instead of over(They were a NAPA part for a trailer). Ultimately I don't think I needed to do that, but I was attempting to get things to fit without boring the wheel centers. Just FYI.

The center caps won't fit on front or rear.
Vanderbuilt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

GoEverywhere - Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to go for it. The price is right. I'd love some CLK's but just can't justify the $.

Out of curiosity what wheels and tires are you running right now? Costco has Michelin - Agilis CrossClimates so I'm probably going to go with these in 205/65R15's.
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Vanderbuilt wrote:
GoEverywhere - Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to go for it. The price is right. I'd love some CLK's but just can't justify the $.

Out of curiosity what wheels and tires are you running right now? Costco has Michelin - Agilis CrossClimates so I'm probably going to go with these in 205/65R15's.

I've got the VW GTI "Austin" wheels, with Nokian 225/40R18's on them.

Vanderbuilt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I never would've guessed 18" would fit. Look good.
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Vanderbuilt wrote:
I never would've guessed 18" would fit. Look good.

Yep! Even lowered as much as mine is, 18's fit fine. I think a 19 or MAYBE even a 20 might fit as well if you wanted to get crazy, though I'm not certain.
TurtsMcSlow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Was wondering if this wheel would work as a spare. I already have clks mounted with toyo open country 215/65r16s with all of the goodies from T3. Thanks in advance!

do.dah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I have a 7x16 et 31 mounted with 205/65 mounted in the stock clamshell, and I'm quite sure that is the max I can put there without doing clamshell modifications.
Also, if you have a peloquin, that'll probably mean you hafta be careful of having different diameter wheel/tire combos on the back.
jalan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I am assuming you already know it will fit on your van, front and back, without rubbing and are wondering about fitting it in the spare tire location.

I run clk's with 215/65R 16's Nokian Rotivas on my Syncro and have figured out how to carry them for a spare under the front end. I use the Van Cafe oversized spare tire holder and drop the tire pressure to around 5 lbs. Of course I carry a small compressor to air it up if needed.

It is still a tight fit but will squeeze in there with the dropped pressure. A larger tire or a stiffer tire like the BFG TK0's will not deform enough to fit.

The most important thing to watch for is the tire rubbing on the steering shaft. VC makes a steering shaft protector for exactly this purpose.
Will-Dakar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Seeing as I still cant find any 16s here in NZ that don't need spacers, not allowed spacers here. I'm just going to try and fit a set of Mercedes Brabus Monoblock IV 17s that I already have of my 190e and just fit spacers anyway 🤣

So I'm wondering what size spacers and tyre would you recommend?

17 x 7.25 ET56
205 40 17
but i want way more meat than that as they look ridiculous trial fitted.

Thanks

[/img]
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Will-Dakar wrote:
Seeing as I still cant find any 16s here in NZ that don't need spacers, not allowed spacers here. I'm just going to try and fit a set of Mercedes Brabus Monoblock IV 17s that I already have of my 190e and just fit spacers anyway 🤣

17 x 7.25 ET56
205 40 17

You're gonna need a lot of spacer for that wheel. You need to get down to ET36 to clear the suspension with a 17x7.25 so You'll need a minimum of a 20mm spacer.
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

l don't know about offset, back spacing, and center bores, l have a friend who works at a BMW dealer, he says that BMW are now using 5x112 bolt pattern on some of their newer cars, he's a service manager at a local dealership, so he should know what he's talking about.

619 201 0310
Will-Dakar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

GoEverywhere wrote:
Will-Dakar wrote:

17 x 7.25 ET56
205 40 17

You're gonna need a lot of spacer for that wheel. You need to get down to ET36 to clear the suspension with a 17x7.25 so You'll need a minimum of a 20mm spacer.

Thanks for the reply.
I have ordered some 20mm bolt on spacers, fingers crossed they'll work out.

I have also just got a set of caddy steel rims, I'll get the centre bores trimmed
do.dah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Didja talk with Christopher at T3? I'm quite sure you'll need some very long bolts/studs to get that all mounted up. And, even with the 20mm spacers, your ending up with an effective et of 36, which, does fall into the generally acceptable range of 30-37 et call out for a vanagon,, it's gonna be really close..
Will-Dakar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Just an od 3AM thought but has anyone drilled the front disks and rear drums to a new pcd?
Sure would make life easier having say 5x100 or 5x114 and 12mm lugs all round.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Thought I'd list all my wheel setups and review since I've owned my Syncro. Note: the driveshaft was removed in all setups as I was experimenting with it.

1. 205/75r14 on stock 14x5.5 rims. This was how it was when I towed it home. Did not drive it like this.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1230837.jpg

2. 195R14 Hankook R8 on 14x5.5 rims. This was how I had it configured when I first drove it. The ride was firm, but responsive.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1288304.jpg

3. 215/75R15 on modified Passat 15x6 rims. Better ride over the HD 14" Hankooks. Not as responsive, but handling was good.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1367685.jpg

4. 235/70R15 on widened 15x8 Passat rims (2" wider than stock Passat rims). Similar ride as the previous 215's but the handling improved. Best setup so far
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1507127.jpg

5. 235/70R15 on South African 15x7 rims. Same ride as 15x8s, but didn't handle as well
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1609650.jpg

6. 255/70R15 on SA 15x7s. Handled better than combo #5, but handling still not as good as the previous 15x8's in combo #4.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1861957.jpg

7. Front tire & rim: 30x9.5R15 on SA 15x7, Rear: 265/70R15 on 15x10 widened Mefros.
Felt like it had more grip than #6 above, Dramatic increase in handling. Hardly any body roll around corners. Sliding door does not clear rear tire.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1903195.jpg

8. Front: 31x10.5r15 on 15x8, Rear 31x10.5r15 on 15x10 rim.
Best handling setup so far, but 2.2 wbx had hard time turning 31's. No problems in loose sand or snow with big rims in rear & 2wd only. This would be a good Prerunner 2wd setup or a tippy feeling hightop
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2180109.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2104938.jpg

9. Front: 265/70R15 on SA 15x7, Rear 265/70R15 on Mefro 15x8. Current setup. Slight degrade in handling from #7 & 8 above (#3 in handling in all the setups) Note, the difference in tire height between the front and rear is negligible with the different rims. I'm ok to install the driveshaft. Sliding door clears tire as well. When I upgrade the the engine, I will try the 31's again.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2194098.jpg

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TinyPickle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

That's some quality info tjet.

Now, do you have a thread which describes what the hell did you do to your wheel wells and arches and/or trailing arms to fit these beasts? Shocked

WIP - Offroad Spec Syncro - 1.9 TDI AFN - Build Thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
IG: syncro_brothers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Presently, it has the following non-stock mods:

+ Go Westy 2" dual rate lift springs
+ Burley front upper control arms
+ Burley 930/16 front axles
+ Burley 930 rear axles
+ 35mm UCA ball joint spacers

Note, you may not need the burley items above if only going with the lift springs. The only reason I have them is because I also had 35mm lift blocks, but they are currently removed. the 31" tires fit without the spacers, but there was some contact on the front wheel well rear arch. It has now clearanced itself (hard landing did it). The smarter way would be to cut and move it aft a couple inches. The stock rear 14 trailing arms just barley clear the 31". I plan on getting the Burley 16 arms next.

The wheel backspacing is critical. On my custom 15 x 10, I have exactly 5". No adapters or spacers needed.

In this photo, the 35mm lift blocks are installed with the 2" springs

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2028265.jpg

In this pic, blocks are removed. Note contact damage on front arch

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2180108.jpg

These are the 35mm blocks. The only way to get the front in was to cut them in half. Impossible to do with the lift springs. I tried to cut a dovetail into them, it was too difficult. The rabbet joint worked fine. That turned out to be a lucky choice as there was no clearance to slide them together with a dovetail. Once they were seated in the upper spring perch, they locked together.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2170675.jpg

Before I cut them. Came from Finland.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1514258.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I just posted to another thread and I know this is elementary to most but I will share;

"The 3 most often go-to tires for OE 14" wheels are either the 185 or 195mm width Hankooks; https://www.hankooktire.com/us/en/tire/vantra/lt-ra18.html

The 3rd is the General Grabber AT (x) 27 x 8.5 R LT; https://generaltire.com/tires/light-trucksuv/grabber-atx

Cheers,

BK

PS I personally run the 185s up front and the bigger GG ATX in the rear to keep the RPMs down on the highway.

PPS Notes I made when I chose the GG ATX; Diameter=26.8", RPM=778, Rim width= 6-7.5", 1520lbs"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Page 170 of 174

Jump to: