Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 170, 171, 172, 173  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
calsurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

So, I finally scored a 1991 GL Westy camper 2wd 4 spd and my neighbor offered me his near new stock VW Atlas tires and wheels for FREE only if I'd actually use them on my Westy. They're supposedly 18x8 wheels with Kumho 245/60/18/105T tires. The question I have is would these even fit (lift size/spacers needed) and what would be the downside (braking, rubbing, etc). But for free, I have to at least ask, thx.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

do.dah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Again,, Christopher at T3 is the one to ask.
With that being said,, my $.002, is, maybe? Might need a thin spacer.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

After all the sorting out of IF THEY CAN FIT, would you be surprised to NOT find any rubber that supports the weight of your Westy?

Tragedy at its finest.

Find your target tire!! Go through Kamz' tires thread in the stickies, and be SURE you don't end up killing someone else out on the road because you didn't run proper tires. Its simple, really. You have to remember, these rigs are rated as 1 ton trucks, and need tires to match. Bare minimum would be 99 or C load.

As I keep saying; if you choose poorly, you might hurt yourself or worse. If you kill someone by being stupid on your tire choice and you live through it, the rest of your life will be hell. That being said, if you put on tires and are out on the road and happen to need to take it to a tire shop, it is entirely possible that you will be in a real pickle when the shop states that your tires are not load rated for your vehicle, and you're on the hook for finding C rated right then and there... and your 18" rims just shot you in the foot. Its no joke. Sure, it doesn't happen often, or to all that many people, but it DOES happen. As a person who it HAS happened to, I'd say, use extreme caution.
sake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Does anybody know if these will fit?

16" 6.5J 5x112 ET42

Seems to be the same specs as the small car 16" small car steelies

norcalvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject: MB wheels compatibility Reply with quote

Howdy All!
Second time Vanagon owner; First time posting

Looking for info on my particular Mercedes wheel set. So far I have found a compatibility for my specs but unsure about spacers, lugs/bolts.

Off a 2002 C230 5x112 12x1.5 ET37; Part # 2034010302.

TIA

Jeremy
Lakesurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Hi all getting tired of my 15" Gowesty Merc reps that came with my 89 2wd full camper 14 years ago and the tire selection is becoming a bit of a pain.

Sorry if these wheels have been discussed but looking for any info on these VW Ronal et35 16" rims. Besides the centrebore mod would I have to enlarge the bolt holes and run spacers?

Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Lakesurfer -

If those are factory VW, the lug holes are fine (no mods needed), but you will need spacers for the front (and rear in my opinion), the correct R13 lugs, and if you run rear spacers, you'll also need longer rear studs.

If those wheels are aftermarket, everything above holds true, except you'll need to verify if the wheels require stock type R13 lugs of conical lugs.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Lakesurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Thanks Christopher for the expertise, I can't honestly say I'm too interested in using spacers although it's probably not a big deal. I wonder if the hardware from my gowesty 15's would fit.
do.dah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Weeell,, most of the finest, high performance vehicles on the road today, have options for spacers.
But, I get you. Didn't wanna entertain the idea of spacers, BUT! Glad I did. You're not dealing with a big issue.
Lakesurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Ok thanks any way of knowing if they're robust enough for the Westy.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Lakesurfer wrote:
Ok thanks any way of knowing if they're robust enough for the Westy.

That really depends on the quality of the spacers, studs, lugs, etc. There are a lot of cheap wheel hardware choices out there, but you usually get what you pay for. If you go with high quality parts that are specified specifically for the job at hand, you'll never have a problem. If you go cheap and/or use parts that are not properly specified for the job, then yes, you will most likely have issues, if not immediately, down the road for sure.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
detoxed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Anyone familiar with or using the Mobelwagen 16" steelies?
!6x7, +30 offset
johnny d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Hi there,

i´m working to make the 996 "Boxter S" Wheels (7 and 8,5x17) fit on my T3 Camper.

I´m using H&R 18mm Adapters all around and the wheels looking good. (i´m woking on the lowering, later Wink )

Since here in germany its quite difficult to get these wheels legal on the car, i´m asking my selfe are there any problems known of broken "Boxter S" wheels running on the T3 Camper?

Normaly these wheels don´t have enough "load capacity" to get them runned legal here in germany, so i thought, i give it a try and ask you guys who running them to get any references.

Please let me know.

Best Regards,

Ben
&
VWKernzentrale since 2007
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

johnny d wrote:
Hi there,

i´m working to make the 996 "Boxter S" Wheels (7 and 8,5x17) fit on my T3 Camper.

I´m using H&R 18mm Adapters all around and the wheels looking good. (i´m woking on the lowering, later Wink )

Since here in germany its quite difficult to get these wheels legal on the car, i´m asking my selfe are there any problems known of broken "Boxter S" wheels running on the T3 Camper?

Normaly these wheels don´t have enough "load capacity" to get them runned legal here in germany, so i thought, i give it a try and ask you guys who running them to get any references.

Please let me know.

Best Regards,

Ben

Maybe this will help:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4739636

I doubt the Boxster wheels will get overloaded.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Well... these are known to fit, but here's a couple of pictures of the GoWesty 15 inch steel SA copy wheels. Also has their adapter kits to run factory hubcaps. Figured I'd post these in case anyone is curious as I haven't seen anyone else running them. Tires are 215-75-15 BF Goodrich A/T

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Italjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Just got a set of Mercedes 18" 8,5 ET35 for free.

Anyone know what Mercedes they came from?

Three of them is a little dented on the inside.
Did straigthen them by following a how to on youtube.
Heated to 200° C and used the jack to straigthen.
Managed to get them "ok"according to the tire ballancing man.

I have the Epytec front brake setup, and that adds 5-6mm to the hub = 6 mm spacer. Still a tight fit though!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Italjohn wrote:

I have the Epytec front brake setup, and that adds 5-6mm to the hub = 6 mm spacer. Still a tight fit though!

Tight, schmight. There's been no interference in thousands of miles with this fit on my 16" CLKs.

Italjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

campism wrote:
Italjohn wrote:

Tight, schmight. There's been no interference in thousands of miles with this fit on my 16" CLKs.

Jjuhuu, thats good to know Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Italjohn,
What tire have you found that is a good diameter to match your gearing and be properly load rated?
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

campism wrote:
Italjohn wrote:

Added feature of an audible loose wheel bearing alarm!

BK
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 170, 171, 172, 173  Next
Jump to:
Page 171 of 173

Jump to: