Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How did everyone get into vw's ?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wgargan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 11:33 pm    Post subject: how did everyone get into vw's ? Reply with quote

i hope you smoked a fatty when you got it );
wgargan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 11:34 pm    Post subject: how did everyone get into vw's ? Reply with quote

;0
wgargan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 11:34 pm    Post subject: how did everyone get into vw's ? Reply with quote

fuck how do you guys do tht shit with thw faces Wink:0 P)
temper_so_hot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:03 pm    Post subject: how did everyone get into vw's ? Reply with quote

I wanted something different than all my friend's had, so I bought a 1956 beetle. I'm the only one in my town and everyone knows the car and me because of it. Basically, she's my everyday driver and there's not that many around my area. I couldn't even drive a straight when I bought her, I just knew that I had to have her. I guess I'd just always wanted one because it was totally different than the Mustangs that everyoe in my area has. The beetles are cute, classy, and have a hell of a lot of character. It's kind of neat to be 17 and own such a vintage car. Oh, some of the looks I get when I pass people. (my 56' has been greatly modified) I guess that's about it.
69Low
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 6:01 pm    Post subject: how did everyone get into vw's ? Reply with quote

My best friend and I would always play "Slug-Bug" when we were little kids. Then one day we vowed to get bugs when we were old enough. She moved out of town when we were in 8th grade. Time passed and when I was 15 and a 1/2 I got a red '69 Bug. She moved back into town the next year and she had a white '65 bug. That was awesome! Been into them ever since.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 7:31 pm    Post subject: how did everyone get into vw's ? Reply with quote

My brother's first car was a 59 Beetle he paid $200 for. It had the infamous 36 Horse motor and we commuted back and forth to High School in it for 3 years, 20 miles each way. Then he bought a 66 Bus that barely ran (like the fleet of other cars he owned, including a Vega....UGH). Then a 74 Bus that was almost new at the time.

He dislikes VW's now, complaining they don't have a heater, which I have found to be untrue.

Through the years, I participated sereptitiously in the VW scene, buying V-Dub magazines.

Then my first real girlfriend picked me up in her shiny and immaculate 74 Superbeetle and I rode in it to my first lay, getting a ticket for Inattentive Driving in the process. I later got arrested when I didn't show up for court. We drove the heck out of that car for 3 years, until we broke up. Her dad sold it for more than he paid for it new!

When I meant my current wife, she was driving a VW Jetta that she would pick me up from the airport while we were still courting.....for some strange reason, I closely associate VW's with sex. Imagine that.

Now I have two nice 70 busses and a 66 Beetle. The Westy bus and the beetle both run duel Kadrons on 1835 cc's, the standard bus runs a 1600 DP. My stepdaughter and her boyfriend recently drove the standard bus clear to the southern tip of Mexico and back with no problems.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 11:24 am    Post subject: how did everyone get into vw's ? Reply with quote

damn its nice to see my thred still going,i cant wait to get my bug running so i can cruise around in it here, theres so much cruising around here in L.A. and i just wonder how they'll react when they see me in my bug. seriously one thing i've noticed though is that vw's are an addiction people start off in them just because they're different, and then they have to have more power from them, and soon it starts to get even worse. i cant even count the number of times my dad has told me that i shouldnt be spending that much money on that car, but its just something that he cant understand because he grew up in a small town in mexico. he only see's a car as a way to get around, he doesnt see it as a way to be creative. i'll stop rambling now, but i just wish everyone the best of luck with their vw's and all their future projects.
jason
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 10:17 pm    Post subject: how did everyone get into vw's ? Reply with quote

I was about 5 and some guy drove a baja up and down the road....thats about it and my freind has a shop
manaos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 6:51 am    Post subject: how did everyone get into vw's ? Reply with quote

I grew up in VW heaven...Santa Cruz, CA. Moved there in '67 and left in '89. So I was always around VW's and they were the cheapest transportation that I could afford when I bought my first car ('65 bug for $725). I learned how to wrench on it and delivered pizzas in it and drove it to Yosemite and all over for about 2 years until it burnt to a crisp along Hwy. 1 in Big Sur one day. It was the coolest car I have ever seen or been in or owned. I could open a beer bottle on the edge of the open sunroof while sitting on West Cliff Drive with a date while watching the "submarine races." Anyway, 20 years later, I just bought my 2nd VW, an all Original, low miles '66 bug and now I carry a fire extinguisher with me.
pbareno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 7:43 pm    Post subject: how did everyone get into vw's ? Reply with quote

The beauty of VW simplicity and the idea of it being a "people's car" caught my attention more than 30 years ago. These vehicles were meant to be an affordable car for the average joe; in this case, the average German citizen. Air-cooled, inter-changeable parts over time; a bare minimum of parts for that matter in order to propel your personal transportation. What a great idea! In the beginning, VW's were not meant to be status symbols. But, I must confess, I certainly DO drive my '67 Kombi with a great amount of pride.
Paul
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 12:36 am    Post subject: how did everyone get into vw's ? Reply with quote

My father owned several vw beetles and when I was born in 1980 we bought a 71 vw bus that my dad used to drive us everyware. I remember how it would never start in the winter so my dad always had a trash can lid filled with charcoal that he lit and put under the engine to heat it up. Funny but it always worked. I remember the day we sold it, the sliding door fell off and the guy still bought it, that was back in 86 and I still see it driving around town. I haven't thought about VW's very often after that until my oldest brother bought a bug in highschool and then moved out. He owned several beetles since then. I graduated higschool and went on to college still without a car of my own, I can't put away a penny to save my life! At the end of my freshman year my parents forced me to put my 1000 dollars into a cd so it would gain money and at the same time not allow me to gain access to it. well a year later and 37 bucks richer I was able to buy a car. And there wasn't any other car I'd rather own than a VW. I had my hopes built up to get a Beetle and my brother found a good one that I could fix up, so we rented a trailor and went to go pick it up, except the woman who owned it all of a sudden decided to make keep it so it could collect more rust! I was at my witts end and almost went off on here before my brother held me back and threw me back in his truck. This caused me to reassess everything. the next day my brother called me and said he found a 71 squareback, rust free! so we went out and ended up purchassing it for 600 bucks. It had no engine installed in it but it did have a burnt up 1776. So I spent 4 months that summer disassembling, sanding, painting, tinkering, welding, fishing, troubleshooting. 3,500 dollars and a year later I was able to liscense it and it's been my daily driver to and from school for the past year. Oh yeah it's a 2 hour drive 4 hours back and fourth and my car handles it with ease. I also have alot of pride when it comes to this car. It pains me to sell it but I've always wanted a beetle, so that's why I'm selling my Squareback. Certainly who ever buys it won't have all the problems I did. It shows EVERY TIME I GO FOR A RIDE.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 7:48 pm    Post subject: how did everyone get into vw's ? Reply with quote

Brought home from the hospital in a 1955 black Beetle with a red interior. Grew up with a 1961 23 window, a 1963 23 window with a Porsche 356 engine, a 1965 13 window, a 1967 23 window, a 1969 bay, a 1975 Rabbit C,
a 1978 Rabbit Diesel. Bought my first car for $19.00, a 1968 Squareback with the worst connecting rod rattle you ever heard, sold it for $20.00 8,000 miles later, a completely illegal unregistered unknown-to-my-parents senior year high-school party car.
Then I bought a 1973 Bus in college in 1979 for $2,000.00. My mom said I was an idiot spending that kind of money for an old 81,000 mile Bus. " The engine will blow up next week," she said. Still own it. 434,125 miles. It is in the gallery here. Sold it for three months and bought a BMW 2002. Realized mistake. Bought it back. Kept the BMW. Bought a 1967 Bug, then a BMW 633CSi. Preferred the Bug, more honestSold both. Bought a '76 Rabbit, *loved it* sold it for a Mercedes 560SEL, hated that, sold it, bought a '78 Rabbit L, sold it, bought a Porsche 911, then another, sold them, bought a '69 Bus with sunroof, loved it, sold it, this is getting ridiculous. Currently have a '78 Mercedes 450 SEL, a '62 Lincoln, a '93 BMW 525i, and the one true car, the Bus the only member of the fleet I would even consider for my just-completed 15,000 mile trip across the country.
My mission with all air-cooled VWs: authentic mechanical perfection.
Colin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 8:23 pm    Post subject: how did everyone get into vw's ? Reply with quote

loved the Herbie movies as a kid. saw my first baja bug when i visited my sis in San Diego back in 78. it was parked by the beach. my bro had a 70 bug as his first car in 79. his friend had a split bus around 1980. i bought my first vw at age 20(1989)-a 70 some odd stupid beetle. It was shot but what did i know? So, i searched for another vw. I found a 21 window bus here in jersey. way up north jersey! I have had it since(1989). I have also owned too many other vws to list. I am happy to say that i have only lost $$$ with the sale of one of them. all others i preserved enough to make $$$$. Anyway, i will wind up being buried in my bus. Bury it and slide the sunroof open. Then drop in my coffin and close the sunroof.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 4:11 pm    Post subject: how did everyone get into vw's ? Reply with quote

Make sure you are buried in a anonymous location otherwise you might be disturbed by some vultures robbing the goodies from your tomb.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 7:54 pm    Post subject: how did everyone get into vw's ? Reply with quote

And the Pharoahs thought they had it bad. . .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 4:56 pm    Post subject: how did everyone get into vw's ? Reply with quote

The day I went to the drag strip with my brother and saw all the fast bugs. One that ran a 9.4 impreast me.I Bidded on a baja truck that looked beat up. got it for cheap. when I was 14.I fixed it up and it runs nice.I'm kinda a baja guy now, going to start racing in February. I'm now 16 and love them.
had a bug named O.J.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 1:46 am    Post subject: how did everyone get into vw's ? Reply with quote

i grew up in the ghetto side of san jose. most of the cars i grew up seeing were undercover police cars and broken down 50's and 60's cars. when it rained we watched herbie at school instead of playing outside. k-6, we memorized it for it was the only movie we had. my 6th grade teacher mrs. bish had a bug. and the coolest teacher my sister(8 years my senior) had had a bus...kinda hippilike...i actually asked if he was jesus!!
my father built cars for ford and would not have it. i was to get the family's old 4 door comet...meanwhile my friends had vw's. i had the money to buy a gorgeous baja with a lift and 1904(?) motor and huge fenders and tires for the tidy sum of $400.00 and had full intentions of racing it in baja. folks said nope! you have a car!! lost that one. chances, lost a lot........through the years.
met my wife and after a year or so of talking about it decided i wanted a beetle. i bought a 72 flat window super beetle autostick...bright ass orange 2- owner. ran great!! had up to 90 mph got over 30 mpg. then i bought a motorcycle and sold the bug named O.J. who had a black primer facelift. to some kid in the northbay. i am planning on seling the bike to fund a dune buggy or bug. it has bitten me once again....mm
teufel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 11:17 pm    Post subject: how did everyone get into vw's ? Reply with quote

ACVWs have always been popping in and out of my life, usually during some of my "happy place" moments...

Had a wildly good looking hippie kindergarten teacher back in '71 when I was a kid in Monterey, CA. I can remember sitting in the iceplant alongside the school and seeing her driving off in a dk blue oval listening to Jim Croce. I'd hum those tunes all the way home...

Was in a rock band in HS/College and used to spend late nights in my buddy's garage doing rebuilds on his Bay Window so it could transport my drum kit and his amps from gig to gig each weekend. We used to drive for hours in that van listening to Rush and talking about how we'd never sell out to make it big...

Got married and lived in Hawaii for three years. Bought a rusted out banana yellow '72 vert from a friend for $1.00. Man, that bug was Da Kine! We had a huge Plumeria tree in the yard that would blanket the seats of the car by dropping dozens of these sweet smelling flowers in it. I remember crusing the Kam Hwy to North Shore with the top down, radio up and the car leaving a trail of white blossoms floating behind us along the road...

Moved back stateside and bought a '67 sedan for my daily driver. Just dropped a new 1776 in her and my 2 sons love tooling around in her and "helping" dad continue the resto. My oldest starts Kindergarten later this year...I wonder if his teacher will be driving a Volksie? I hope for his sake she is...
58Type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 7:17 am    Post subject: how did everyone get into vw's ? Reply with quote

A friend and I bought a '72 Ghia and that was my first car. He ended up paying me for my half and I bought a '72 SuperBeetle Autostick and had that long enough that my sis got married in it. After that I went to Pomona and found my now currect '58 SC Jan'99 and had it ever since.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 10:50 am    Post subject: how did everyone get into vw's ? Reply with quote

The way a got bitten from the bug is i saw a primer grey squareback for sale in my friends apartment complex. I ask the owner about the car and ask him what kind it was. I had no clue at the time that it was a vw . Well i went for a test drive and was hook. Bought the square and did not know a thing about working on a car. Well after about a year of things breaking left and right i finally found the mechanic in me. Well now i am a addicted and loving every bit of it. So now i am the owner of 2 69 squares and one beautiful 57 oval . And the not stop of collecting any thing vw. It is a very good but bad habbit if you know what i mean. later
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: