Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dang that gland nut!
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 4:46 am    Post subject: Dang that gland nut! Reply with quote

Dang that gland nut! I use my axle nut whacker successfully on my axle nuts, but that dang gland nut always gives me a hard time. I gotta get me one of those Torque Miester things. But let me tell you what not to do.
OK, I had this great idea. I had the usual frozen on gland nut so I put my engine on the landing at the top of the basement stairs. I put my Taiwan chrome vanadium 1/2 inch breaker bar on my 36mm socket and slipped a 4-foot piece of cheater bar over the end. Then I had my wife stand on the engine. I figured I'd dangle on the end of the pipe hanging about halfway down the stairs, and my body weight would break the nut loose. Of course the whole time me wife is saying "Jim I don't like this Jim stop Jim don't Jim you're going to get hurt Jim stop".
Well, that old gland nut wasn't satisfied with mere dangling body weight, so I started bouncing up and down and pulling on that breaker bar with all my might. So now the wife's really yelling stop when all of a sudden - "PING", Taiwan shatters in several pieces, and I got slingshot slammed right over backwards to the bottom of the stairs. Yes it hurt. Kinda dazed me for a second. Next thing I know the wife's hovering over me in near hysterics. "DON"T MOVE DON"T MOVE OH MY GOD!!!"
But I managed to scrape myself up off the cement and convinced her I didn't have any broken bones or a concussion or anything. Did get a couple bruises and a headache though. Like I said, this is what not to do with a stuck gland nut. I won't do THAT again, but must confess I don't think it knocked any sense into me.
For those of you wondering how I did get it off: borrowed air compressor and impact wrench. But I gotta get me one of those Torque Miester things. At the rate I'm going it may just save my life someday!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 5:43 am    Post subject: Dang that gland nut! Reply with quote

WELL, I HOPE YOU LEARNED YOUR LESSON!! NEXT TIME YOU TRY PUTTING YOUR WIFE ON TOP OF AN ENGINE AT THE TOP OF THE STAIRS TO LOOSEN A GLAND NUT, USE A SNAP-ON TOOL!! At least that way you can get your money back when you regain consciousness.
Kosmicride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 1:42 pm    Post subject: Dang that gland nut! Reply with quote

Sounds like my the time I was breaking a gland nut loose and I was at the end of the 4 footer standing on it and my buddy was on the engine in the garage (no stairs around)
SNAAAAAAAAAP goes the freaking gland nut in the case!!!!.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 8:59 pm    Post subject: Dang that gland nut! Reply with quote

Humm....

Me: <makes a mental note about Snap-On tools and leverage. I should stand on the engine and the wife should be on the 4 foot breaker bar>

SNAAAAAP!

Me: Dear?
Wife: <groan>
Me: Are you ok?
Me: Want me to call the doctor?
Me: Now can I buy that new set of Snap-On tools I've been looking at?
Wife: <wacks me in the %*^@ with the breaker bar>
Me: <groan>
rustysquah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 11:56 am    Post subject: Dang that gland nut! Reply with quote

HAA!

Yepper. I trashed more 1/2 to 3/4 converters getting mine off, but I did subscribe to the philosophy of "put it on the floor so it can't fall any farther."

As this reads, I'm glad I did, elsewise, I'd be missing teeth, probably.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 10:51 pm    Post subject: Dang that gland nut! Reply with quote

i snaped the ends off of every kind of braker you could amagin crapsman , snap on , cheepo , crap , ect i had to take the tranny to a deasle shop they had troble but i got it off
Dono Power
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a "torq dude" from an advertiser in HVWS. I use it all the time and wonder how I got along with out it. I have broke all kinds of stuff trying to break those damn things loose. Now I can do it with a 3/8 ratchet!!!
Benton Arkansas

Diagnosed as a Sambachodriac.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you had to use that much force to get the gland nut off, then it was not installed right in the first place, or some dorkus-malorkus used too much loctite.
there is a specific torque for them (obviously), and that shouldn't be exceeded. the gland nuts can break, and i've broken them just torquing to stock specs (cheap aftermarket---never again).
do it right the first time and you shouldn't have such problems. and this is no place for air tools either. i despise air tools for mechanical work--stuff breaks too easily.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: