Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looks can be deceiving
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
burrisj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 2:19 pm    Post subject: Looks can be deceiving Reply with quote

This past winter I ran into a guy that was looking for bug, it goes to find out that he owned a 68 Porsche 912 that he didnt like very well because it was hard for him to drive and he was looking for a nice bug with an autostick, well I just happen to have a 74 super auto that was in great shape with no rust. So my wife and I went to go look at this Porsche and the first appearance of this car was " WOW " this thing is sweet, nice paint and interior and no sign of rust on the body, just a strieght looking car, remind you it was winter and it was about 10 degrees that day so I crawled on my back on the cold ground to check for rust and it did appear to have some rust under the drivers seat but also a lot of fiberglass under the car that I thought it had fiberglass floors in it, so I didnt think much about it because I've being want a Porsche my whole life and I thought this was the deal of a life time for me so we decided to just trade cars and call it even and the whole time I'm happy as hell that I finally got a Porsche for a superbeetle. So I drove the car home and it needed a tune up pretty bad so about a month later I took it over to my buddies VW shop to give me a hand with the tune up and when we put this thing up on the lift we started to hear cracking noises under the car while the car started to go up so we both got up under it to see what that was and we wound out that the whole under carriage was so rusted out the floor boards were covered up with fiberglass to hide the rust, and there were fiberglass in all the wheel wells covering all the rust holes and painted black so that you could'nt see the shiaty patch work. I also found out that the frame was so rusted out that there isnt really anything holding this car together. What kills me is that I let a solid trophy winner car go for this bucket that I thought was a dream come true, so words of advice dont be blind sided by looks alone. I worst part is that I know better..
burrisj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: Looks can be deceiving Reply with quote

sorry for the bad grammar, I should've proof read this first
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 4:21 pm    Post subject: Looks can be deceiving Reply with quote

Damn that's bad luck. But just how much could you go poking and breaking before he told you to stop? Same thing (but not as bad) happened to me with my vert when I found out a year later that there was a rusted out, bondo'd patch in the wheel well big enough to stick my head through and on top of that it had a replacement front clip. But like you, I fell in love with the car when I saw it. You should post that guy's name just in case he sells other stuff like that. Part out the Porsche and maybe you can get enough money to see your way to a good deal on another Beetle.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: