Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reduction Gearbox Retaining Pin Removal
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reduction Gearbox Retaining Pin Removal Reply with quote

i am rebuilding some big nut RGB and i want to remove the pin that retains the axle tube to the RGB housing. it won't budge and is difficult to reach as well, not a straight shot and impossible to use a press to drive the pin out. i am using heat but the bugger won't move even with lots of pounding with a hardened drift and BFH.

i'm looking for any useful tips on getting this pin drifted out. also, are the pins available new? if so i could core drill it and then it should be much easier to drift it out.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Reduction Gearbox Retaining Pin Removal Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
i am rebuilding some big nut RGB and i want to remove the pin that retains the axle tube to the RGB housing. it won't budge and is difficult to reach as well, not a straight shot and impossible to use a press to drive the pin out. i am using heat but the bugger won't move even with lots of pounding with a hardened drift and BFH.

i'm looking for any useful tips on getting this pin drifted out. also, are the pins available new? if so i could core drill it and then it should be much easier to drift it out.

The procedure is outlined in the Bentley manual.
Why, exactly do you want to remove it?
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Reduction Gearbox Retaining Pin Removal Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
The procedure is outlined in the Bentley manual.
Why, exactly do you want to remove it?

bentley isn't much help:

section H-5 pg 2 63-67 bentley wrote:

8- remove reduction gear case locking pin

i want to remove the axle tubes from the RGB case so i can use the original style (non-split) rubber dust boots.

i figured out how to get the pins out - hit them much harder Smile

they are 10mm straight dowel pins, 50mm long. i think i read something here on thesamba about the pins being tapered, but they are not. they do have 3 slits on one end that are (i reckon) to help keep the pins tight in the hole, but the diameter of the pin is consistent end to end.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get some grease and put those boots in warm water, you can get solid boots over the tranny end of the axle tube.
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the suggestion, i will try that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: