Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW names
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
59RAIDER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

59 Rag Top Bug - Her name is Owlina
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a 1951 Plymouth that was round like a VW only much bigger. So the kids called it Grandpa Herbe.
Aradian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I named my 69 Ghia "Kyrie" ^.^
Triumphman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: My Rat Rod's Name: Reply with quote

I was pumping gas into my Rat Rod at the local fill- er- up when a young guy came over and said "that's Gnarly dude ! " So it was christened "Gnarly" ! My daughter and I were going on a fall foliage run here in the North East! Just recently after buying , fine tuning and getting the bugs out (no pun intended) !The name stuck! We both liked it! Now my wifey likes it too! Beats the he-- out of Herby (like the movie bug ) !
Dampcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 82 Westy is named "Fundi". Pronounced "foon-dee", it is a Swahili word for "The Fixit Guy". But if you mispronounce it "fun-dee", well, it is fun too!
"•In the Central African lingua franca Swahili, fundi means any craftsperson or skilled technician, such as a carpenter, plumber or mechanic. "

I watched a Fundi make a double-flare fitting in a broken brake line using a file (to square the end off), a vise with wood blocks to hold the tubing, a drill bit shank to keep the hole open and a hammer and punch to very patiently form the flare. A little filing to smooth it and it held for several hundred km until we got back to "the big city". Less than 2 hours and about twelve bucks. We were so relieved to get it fixed (and have brakes!)we didn't even dicker over the price.
Anybody who owns an old VW needs to be a Fundi, right?
LittleRoulette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1969 Autostick bug, Roulette, earned her name for sure. First time I drove her alone, I went on some of my favorite backroads to really get a feel for her. Well I decided to flip around and start heading back, and she dies. Turns out my coil decided to take a shart on me. After some friends come out and then left to bring back a new coil, a friend stayed behind to keep me company and he suggested a name for her - "Roulette"... She's like playing Russian roulette, you never know what is going to happen. And she still lives up to her name, every time I fix something, something else breaks! I am still driving with brights, no windshields wipers, no speedometer/odometer, no blinkers, and sometimes no taillights. Laughing

My husbands 1972 Standard Beetle, Buck, is a trooper. We found him on craigslist the day he was posted... Everything worked, there was just some damage from the elderly previous owner running into something a few years back. It had been parked for a couple years, but he turned over like a top. And we got him for a mere $500 bucks the day before our 3 year anniversary (how cute lol). After getting him home, cleaning, then registering/insuring him, we took him for a cruise. He ran like a top! We named him Buck because he was a little buckaroo! He was one of the smoothest cars I have ever been in.
siggi31169
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '72 Super's name is Buggle. The name came about when I was able to take it home and my son saw it. Being between 2 and 3 at the time, he was in that stage where he would always ask the same question numerous times. So he got to where every time he saw it he would ask what it was (he knew it was a car) and there would be times I would tell him that it is a Bug and other times I would tell him that it is a Beetle. One day he came up to me and said can I see your buggle, I looked at him and asked what he was talking about and he pointed out the window at my Bug. Since then it has been known as dada's Buggle, (He calls all bugs buggles but he knows there is only one "Dada's Buggle")
noah2burchell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was around 10 when i got my 1972 Super Beetle and i have no idea why it made me think of a sassafras tree but its name is sassafras it is marina blue with the beige interior maybe that had something to do with it.

Original flat window 1302 Super Beetle
zcruisers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My lowered '65 bus is called "La Caja Baja" or the low box.

Cool
jeffavatech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:55 am    Post subject: Name that bus Reply with quote

My Granddaughter named our 67 Deluxe, "Fillmore"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fred_e81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 62 is named Arabella Oomblie. The previous owner named her and had a plaque with that name on the dash. I just call her Bella.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got a couple project cars - one of them had a notebook with some milage logs, etc. The notebook had "Punky's glovebox" written on it. So - I think we will keep the same name - I mean the hassle going through the courts to have the name legally changed is just too much IMHO.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
schutzstaffel13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have 66 bug and still looking for the right name
maybe taylor
because my bug is beautiful like taylor (girl name) n powerful like taylor (boy name)
and the sound is noisy like taylor machine Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SAL71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Karmann`71 - Karmanchik
my Bug`72 - Rui (risen from the ruins)
bus`76 - Cheburashka (name from Russian cartoon)
the Thing`74 - Аscetic

Link
markj60616
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject: Baby and Nunu Reply with quote

1970 Beetle..."Baby" (as in baby blue)
2014 Beetle..."Nunu" (as in a "new new" Beetle as the 2012 models and up are often called)
original engine

1978 Type 2 Panel Bus
original engine 2.0L FI

2014 Beetle 2.5L
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
type1guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently dragged home a '72 Baja project. It is been christened "Jack the Dripper" for obvious reasons......

Mike
Janster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: My girl is named Reply with quote

Loretta! and she is 52 years old!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My very orange 73 standard is named Tigger and is purely a marketing ploy. My wife does not like the car, complains it is too bouncy. Being as she likes Pooh I named the car Tigger and put a little stuffed Tigger in the OhShit handle. Now it's bounciness is not a problem, it's a feature. She even suggests we take Tigger instead of the soccer mom SUV.
toms64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

64 beetle......Ringo......everybody gets it!! Very Happy
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have had about 50 cars, names were always descriptive: The Bug, The Ragtop, The Bus, The Vanagon, The Buggy...I guess I figured they were named already!

I have a friend who names all his cars. He just got a new (to him) car. When I asked him what he was going to name it, he said the previous owner already had given it a name so he couldn't change it, yet the same guy adopted a dog from the pound and gave it a different name than the previous owner had given it.....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Page 25 of 28

Jump to: