Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help with Vermont plates (loophole)
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skippy66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

Hey guys ....

I just purchased a 1966 13 window bus , the bus is a rescue after sitting for 34 years in the woods of Mississippi, NO TITLE

I transported back home to Florida , and I'm now pondering my next move on restoring my new bus , but I guess tackling the title would be the first move

I've seen a few YouTube videos on some so called Vermont loophole , you simply send Vermont dmv the fee's (even if you don't reside in Vermont ) and the send you plates and a registration slip , from that point you transfer it in your own state - there is a vin# verification form with confusing instructions , it stipulates this is required if the vehicle was titled in another state , but I think Mississippi is exempt because of the age of the bus

Any help and suggestions is greatly appreciated-- Shannon
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search..._chars=200
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

http://benboyle.com/blog/

This ^^^ is a good link on how to do it.
Do yourself a favor & call the VT. DMV, they will tell you how much the tax will be.
The last Bus I checked on getting registered, a '63 Kombi needing floors/roof work/engine/brakes ect, VT. said the book value was $7,400, so tax would be $444, plus the reg. fee of $76, IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT !!! I had a Vt. bill of sale form, saying I paid $300 for the Bus, they say, lucky you, tax is still what THEY say. You can get some of that $$ back if you bring it to anyone in VT. sells cars, they can fill out a form , you send it it & get some of the HIGH tax bill back.
As stated in all the other VT. threads, you can live in any state, use your home address & register a car in Vt., you get plates & registration, NO TITLE.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
DWP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

Call Florida DMV and make sure they will allow the VT title.

DWP
BenJAMin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

They have to. It would be no different if a Vermont resident moved to Florida.
DWP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

It doesn't hurt to call. As long as the vermont is a standard title it should be OK. Pa and alot of other states will not allow New York 907A salvage title.
DWP
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

DWP wrote:
It doesn't hurt to call. As long as the vermont is a standard title it should be OK. Pa and alot of other states will not allow New York 907A salvage title.
DWP

That's because a 907A is NOT A TITLE. It's a form used for an owner retained vehicle that was totaled out by an insurance company. The owner of the car can keep it and register it for eternity with that form, but once it changes hands it MUST go through a NYS Salvage Exam to be issued a new, salvage branded NYS title.

No need to call the FL DMV, they will accept the VT Registration. THEY HAVE TO. All 50 states are reciprocal as far as ownership is concerned. The only proof of ownership you need when transferring paperwork from one state to another is whatever is required in the state the car is coming FROM.

Go the VT route. It's quick, easy and painless. You pay on book value for the tax but it's a small price to pay to have legal paperwork saying that's your car.
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
Skippy66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

Thanks guys ! I sent the form and check to vermont .....I'll let you know how it went ...

..Shannon
Skippy66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

Okay....... The check I sent the Vermont dmv was cashed about 2 weeks after sending , I should be expecting the registration and plates any day now ....
BenJAMin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

Yes, expect a plate any day and a registration about a week after
Skippy66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

Well looks like I should have checked my mailbox yesterday , cause vermont sent me a set of plates for my bus ! Very Happy
BenJAMin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

you'll have your registration shortly. Then you can go transfer them. Keep the document you received with the plates to show you paid tax. You can also take this to help things along http://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/files/pdf/DMV-VT015a-Title_Information.pdf
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

Can this be used as a work around to avoid back fees?

For example,
I have a car in a barn that's not on non op. Has about $900 in back fees. Car HAS a CA title. Can I pretend it doesn't and do a bill of sale to myself and send it to Vermont? Get the reg and plates from there and turn around and transfer it back to a CA title? Would it pop up in the CA system as having back fees from before? Or would I simply just pay the transfer fee and get my new registration thus avoiding the $900 in back reg?
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
Can this be used as a work around to avoid back fees?

For example,
I have a car in a barn that's not on non op. Has about $900 in back fees. Car HAS a CA title. Can I pretend it doesn't and do a bill of sale to myself and send it to Vermont? Get the reg and plates from there and turn around and transfer it back to a CA title? Would it pop up in the CA system as having back fees from before? Or would I simply just pay the transfer fee and get my new registration thus avoiding the $900 in back reg?

How old is the car? In California there is a way to avoid fees if the car is old enough and you are a collector.
Search "California" "registration" and "collector".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BenJAMin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

I have heard stories told this will not avoid CA back fees. I am just glad I live in a state that doesn't have such ridiculous laws.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

BenJAMin wrote:
I have heard stories told this will not avoid CA back fees. I am just glad I live in a state that doesn't have such ridiculous laws.

I've heard straight from people in CA that they have avoided it.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BenJAMin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

That's interesting because I have heard the exact opposite. Maybe it's a case by case basis. I think the difference is I have heard they don't wipe the slate clean like they did in years past. If you had a car that hadn't been registered for a few long time that would explain it.
Skippy66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

The nada book value will vary in price but you'll be paying 6% on that value , expect to pay at least 500$ to vermont to get your plates , so....not much of a gap between the back taxes and the vermont plates
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

Skippy66 wrote:
Well looks like I should have checked my mailbox yesterday , cause vermont sent me a set of plates for my bus ! Very Happy

Skippy66 wrote:
The nada book value will vary in price but you'll be paying 6% on that value , expect to pay at least 500$ to vermont to get your plates , so....not much of a gap between the back taxes and the vermont plates

So, just to be clear to all the folks that have questions, you got Plates & Registration, (NOT a Title) w/ your name & Fla. address, paid a good chunk 'o change to Vt., but can now drive your Bus, all "Legal Beagle", Yes ?? Question

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Skippy66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
Skippy66 wrote:

Skippy66 wrote:

So, just to be clear to all the folks that have questions, you got Plates & Registration, (NOT a Title) w/ your name & Fla. address, paid a good chunk 'o change to Vt., but can now drive your Bus, all "Legal Beagle", Yes ?? Question

YES

Got the vermont registration in the mail yesterday ....good for a year ....and they sent it to my florida address

My 2 cents , take advantage of it while you can , when something is too good to be true it actually is , or won't last long

My next step is to get the car transferred /registered in florida using the vermont registration
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: