Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

what is the purpose of this? (steering column)
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:22 pm    Post subject: what is the purpose of this? (steering column) Reply with quote

this will most likely be answered quickly, but, what is the purpose of the steering column "webbed cage"? Why would it not be a solid piece going from point a to point b? why is half the column a cage?

here is a picture from the gallery
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: what is the purpose of this? (steering column) Reply with quote

For the column to collapse instead of impaling your chest.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: what is the purpose of this? (steering column) Reply with quote

You definitely want to retain that! It's one of the excellent safety features all makes and models of automobiles came out with in one form or another in the late '60's.
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: what is the purpose of this? (steering column) Reply with quote

that makes sense. I'm still a little more concerned about the sheet of glass that is a foot from my face Laughing
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: what is the purpose of this? (steering column) Reply with quote

crankbait09 wrote:
that makes sense. I'm still a little more concerned about the sheet of glass that is a foot from my face Laughing

Get a Volvo.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: what is the purpose of this? (steering column) Reply with quote

. . . or a '73 and up Super Beetle.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: what is the purpose of this? (steering column) Reply with quote

Put your seat belt on! Wink

Seat belts do stretch though, I had a bruise on my forehead from the upper W/S frame when a smacked an Impala with my Rabbit. Both shoulders had bruises too and my waist.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: what is the purpose of this? (steering column) Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Put your seat belt on! Wink

Seat belts do stretch though, I had a bruise on my forehead from the upper W/S frame when a smacked an Impala with my Rabbit. Both shoulders had bruises too and my waist.

Was the Impala moving or stopped, and at what speed did the impact happen? I hope I never experience it! My daughter had a rollover in a 90's Mercury Topaz and she had a lot of seat belt bruises also, but otherwise no injuries. Seat belts do protect in most cases.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: what is the purpose of this? (steering column) Reply with quote

Impala was stopped I was doing 40 mph.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: what is the purpose of this? (steering column) Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Impala was stopped I was doing 40 mph.

Ouch! Sounds like the definition of a very, very bad day!!

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: what is the purpose of this? (steering column) Reply with quote

It was not good! The Impala went for scrap, I drove it forward into a Ranchero so it was Foo-barr-ed at both ends. I fixed the Rabbit and still have it 45 years later.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: what is the purpose of this? (steering column) Reply with quote

That's quite a story. Cool to still have the car that long, especially after that kind of accident.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Last edited by Marcdeb on Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: what is the purpose of this? (steering column) Reply with quote

There was nothing damaged back of the crush zone. The damage stopped at the shock towers. Doors opened and closed just like new, windshield all good too. I was pretty impressed!

Oh and the oil pan was caved in, it slammed the pavement hard!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: