Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bumping your head on your VW ...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amsterdam_VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 1:11 pm    Post subject: Bumping your head on your VW ... Reply with quote

Yep...again....major pain in my head cause of bumping my head on some VW part while under the car.
This time I bumped my head (twice! dumb,dumber..)on my 1967 mikrobus airfilter bracket.... OUCH !
Took out the engine and gastank to clean / treat/ paint things, and didn't miss the bracket Smile
Where did you get your scars from ?????
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 1:15 pm    Post subject: Bumping your head on your VW ... Reply with quote

Knuckles. Almost always the knuckles. Skin 'em, cut 'em, bang 'em.
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject: Bumping your head on your VW ... Reply with quote

I took a dime size chunk out of the back of my head on the tranny mainshaft while underneath painting the inside of the engine compartment of my Thing.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: Bumping your head on your VW ... Reply with quote

I hung my racks up last night in my garage and 5 minutes later I jammed the bridge of my nose into one of the "feet" on the rack.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:09 pm    Post subject: Bumping your head on your VW ... Reply with quote

I was removing my rear decklid to try and get my fanshroud off without dropping the engine.
The bolts were removed, and nothing happended.
All of a sudden the rust holding the decklid to the hinges broke free, and the decklid was propelled by the spring right at my face. Hit me square in the jaw between my bottom lip and chin. It just about knocked me out, and I actually saw stars! Probably broke my jaw slightly, but I was in college and poor and stupid, so I just let it go.
24 years later, and I remember the pain like it was yesterday!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amsterdam_VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 2:55 am    Post subject: Bumping your head on your VW ... Reply with quote

Oh yeah, forgot the knuckles...look like I am a free fighter...oh, and the little burnscars from welding a friends bug...
But I never broke anything (on my body that is...) Smile
AndrewM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Bumping your head on your VW ... Reply with quote

Whenever I'm working on something in the garage and i get hurt, tools tend to fly and my knuckles get bloody via the wall!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
air-cooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: Bumping your head on your VW ... Reply with quote

It never fails for my husband, he can not fix my 74SB without squishing, scaping, banging, or breaking something
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 10:03 pm    Post subject: Bumping your head on your VW ... Reply with quote

A few years back, i decided to clean up my rented garage. it was a nice april day, sunny, with a mild breeze, so i decided to move the ghia project i had at that time out into the parking lot so i could sweep out all of the crap that accumulates on the floor during a long winter of resto-work. the car wouldn't start, so i grab my handy squirt bottle of gas off the shelf to prime the carb. still no joy, so i give the gas a sniff, and it smells a little old, so i decide to test it's flamability. i walk out into the lot, and squirt a little of the gas onto the grass at the edge of the parking lot. (did i mention that it had been an unusally dry winter?)(some of you may be able to see where this is going.) i reach into my shirt pocket for my ever present box of wooden matches, strike a flame and drop it onto the grass. (remember that spring breeze i mentioned earlier.) well, the grass caught fire, as did my pant leg. the grass fire started to spread, as did the fire on my pant leg. i started to wildly dance around on the grass putting out the fire, as i simultaneously beat at the flames consuming the left leg of my sweat pants, debating whether to tear my pants off, suddenly remembering that, that morning, i neglected to take my clean underwear out of the dryer... in my home... five miles away... so i had decided to go without. i pondered the several things i learned that day, as i watched my pants smoulder on the ground. 1. my car certainly didn't have a fuel problem. 2. Cotton is not flame retardant. 3. Spring breezes are damn cold. 4. i needed a garage at home.
SplitBusChick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 10:43 pm    Post subject: Bumping your head on your VW ... Reply with quote

hehe, thats funny.

my 62's rear engine lide had nothing that held it up on its own, so when i was putting oil in had to pull a weird manover to keep it up and poor it at the same time. it would stay up on its own a little, but at least 5 times i forgot to hold it and WHAAT right on the top o' the head. YOUCH. oh, and whenever i sleep in the camper, inevetable sit up real fast when may alarm goes off and WHAMO!
hehe. my poor noggin.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AndrewM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 1:37 am    Post subject: Bumping your head on your VW ... Reply with quote

About 2 years ago I went junkyard hunting at the local VW junkyard. I had never been there before and did't know what to except. I asked the old guy that had it if I could walk around and see what he had. He agreed and told me just to be careful. As I walked up the hill through the old beetles, fastbacks, and baywindows, I noticed a gold and white split bus off to my left. As I walked over to the bus I noticed some wooden shipping palets on the ground. Some of them had been cut up with a chainsaw. I didn't give them much thought...that was until I accidently stepped on a 4" x 4" block with a 3" nail sticking up. My first reaction was to pick my foot straight up(if you've ever stepped on a nail, it just comes natural after the first time) thinking it was a board and the nail would stay with the board on the ground. That little bastard of a block came up with my foot. So here I am in the middle of this junkyard now kicking wildly to get this block off my shoe and nail out of my foot. I came to rest on a squareback, lifted my foot and pulled the block off by hand. The nail went about 2" in the middle of my foot, left a small hole on the bottom of my foot and a bruise on the top where it almost poked through my skin. If anyone had seen it, I must have looked like "Dumb and Dumber"
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 7:40 am    Post subject: Bumping your head on your VW ... Reply with quote

my pop rode in my bus for the first time on thurs and hit his head while getting out of the pass side! ouch-that's going to leave a mark!!!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 2:14 pm    Post subject: Bumping your head on your VW ... Reply with quote

Me and my buddy have been working on my '53 Barndoor Panel the last couple weeks. It's super hard to remember that huge decklid that is lurking overhead and how damn far the thing sticks out too. I just about cleaned my eye out of my head at a full walking pace the other day. My guess is that this is one of the factors why VW went to the smaller decklids on newer Buses. Consider how many unknowing people at the gas station got clocked by Barndoor decklids over the years!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
58Type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 6:18 am    Post subject: Bumping your head on your VW ... Reply with quote

Can't figure that one out because the second you do, the car will 'come to life' and surprise the hell out of you. My SC does it all the time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wgargan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 12:21 pm    Post subject: Bumping your head on your VW ... Reply with quote

always be sure to tighten down the grinding wheeel or you might have a lethal frisbee that breaks the shop window all the way on the other side!
lc
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject: Bumping your head on your VW ... Reply with quote

I put a chip in a grinding wheel while moving the grinder ,turned it on,and a minute later had a chunk of it wiz past my ear and go through the ceiling! I will NEVER spin a damaged one again.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 9:19 pm    Post subject: Bumping your head on your VW ... Reply with quote

Every summer when I'm working under a Vw, a Skeeter will come buzzing around my head, I'll whip my head around & always crack it on something !!! Fuggin Skeeters @#$%^&*@#$%^
chrome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 10:00 am    Post subject: Bumping your head on your VW ... Reply with quote

a few years back a buddy and i took a trip out east, my 70 westy had 15" rims with 215's on them so hoisting yourself up into the seats was a pull in itself, we bonked heads i cant remember how many times, are timing was perfect, it got to the point that we checked to see who started climbing in first.
chilliwilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 11:27 am    Post subject: Bumping your head on your VW ... Reply with quote

i'm still puting money in the engine, so i haven't gotten to the seats yet. quick fix was putting a 3" piece of foam on the seat to keep the springs out of my ass. keep forgeting about the added height and have repeatedly smacked my head on the door jam
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 3:59 pm    Post subject: Bumping your head on your VW ... Reply with quote

I have a roofrack (a thule one)I sometimes put on the ghia for my kayak and bikes. The front bar sticks out about 4 inches right over the area where I stand as I get out. I have a scar on my forehead.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: