Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Decibal Level on Straight Headers
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zaltounian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Decibal Level on Straight Headers Reply with quote

I have a 1971 1600cc engine running straight offroad competition exhaust pipes. Presently, regulations at the site I want to offroad at state I need to be below 101dba. Anyone know how loud these pipe are? If they are too loud, I was looking to buy a spark arrestor muffler. Any suggestions? How would this affect my performance compared to straight headers?
Jamnajar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Decibal Level on Straight Headers Reply with quote

zaltounian wrote:
I have a 1971 1600cc engine running straight offroad competition exhaust pipes. Presently, regulations at the site I want to offroad at state I need to be below 101dba. Anyone know how loud these pipe are? If they are too loud, I was looking to buy a spark arrestor muffler. Any suggestions? How would this affect my performance compared to straight headers?

What type of cam and carbs are you running? If they are anywhere near stock you will get more torque with a quiet pack or arrestor system, and you will not really notice a loss on the top end.... 101db is pretty loud. If you kept it slow around others (not FULL throttle) then you should be fine. You might even find a ranger to test your system for you.... Or radio shack sells a DB meter for $20.... Read the rules for your park and find out how far back from your exhaust system you take a reading from.
zaltounian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will probably go with the spark arrestor muffler system as it kills two birds with one stone. Thanks for the input.
runslikeapenguin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i ran a open stinger on my bug back when i was still a street car for about 2 days and decided i wanted my brains inside of my head so i packed the grapefruit shooter with a baffle, much better
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: