Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CB Performance "CNC Round Port" Heads
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Spironello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:07 am    Post subject: CB Performance "CNC Round Port" Heads Reply with quote

Has anybody had this issue with CB Performance "CNC" round port heads. We have used CB heads for years, have built plenty of engines, but this was the first time we purchased there "CNC" port heads. I was not at all happy with the quality of the port job. We called and talk to significant staff and they said all there CNC Round port heads have this issue with a flaw in the casting. Its only in one of the ports, the other port is fine, and the second head has the same flaw. Its obviously a casting issue. Instead of getting into great details about what was said, it boiled down to "Bolt them on". I really think having two ports with cavities and two ports perfect isn't good proceedure when building an engine, at least not to my standards. Any suggestions or thoughts. Thanks John

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
millerje78
Samba Amishman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would insist that they replace those heads.

do your research, consult with experts, and buy quality parts. you won't be sorry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
58Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's saying that they are all like that now. They don't have anything better to replace it with. I would think that would change the flow between ports.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TroyG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered a set of Comp. Elemt. Heads from them with 48-40 valves. Did he say anything about the wedge port or the comp heads? If I ordered a set of heads and paid 1300.00 for them and they come in looking like that THEY WILL GET THEM BACK.

If they don't have a problem with the wedge or comp heads I would make them upgrade you to they next step up on the heads.

If they won't do anything about making them right you need to let everyone know about it.

If they won't fix them, you can call Darren over at DRD and I am sure he can report them and make them flow correct.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
timmy74006
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I got lucky. I bought a set a couple of years ago and they look perfect. Let us know how they handle it. Customer service can make or break a company, no matter how good a rep they have.
Ann Mezger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks worse than a steaming pile of dog poo, but it seems to fit the standard "off the shelf" lack of quality that's supposed to be acceptable. I think you're right to bitch about it, but doubt you'll get a decent resolution. IMO if they really cared they would correct the casting issues & stop using the cheapest production method. Unfortunately (for the consumer) that would cost money & shrink the profit margin for the retailer. While you're noticing flaws, you might want to take a closer look at the valves, guides & seats they install. Again, it's doubtful you'll get resolution from the retailer. They'll try to tell you everything is just dandy. ( Evil or Very Mad even after the seats fall out)
The way we work around it is by purchasing a set of blank cylinder heads & having them ported, polished, & all of the hardware installed by a reputable cylinder head expert like Rodger Crawford at Heads Up Performance. It costs a bit more than using an 'off the shelf' cylinder head, but the quality is worth the price.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That really sounds uncharacteristic of CB. Especially to send that out. Hmmmmmm.
64 Sunroof 2276cc IDA's
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ann Mezger wrote:
That looks worse than a steaming pile of dog poo, but it seems to fit the standard "off the shelf" lack of quality that's supposed to be acceptable. I think you're right to bitch about it, but doubt you'll get a decent resolution.

This is only a cosmetic visual flaw. That small flaw will not affect flow one bit. It is akin to having a scratch on a crankshaft cheek. Nobody is ever gonna see it when it is all together and making hp.
Bugman Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Ann Mezger wrote:
That looks worse than a steaming pile of dog poo, but it seems to fit the standard "off the shelf" lack of quality that's supposed to be acceptable. I think you're right to bitch about it, but doubt you'll get a decent resolution.

This is only a cosmetic visual flaw. That small flaw will not affect flow one bit. It is akin to having a scratch on a crankshaft cheek. Nobody is ever gonna see it when it is all together and making hp.

Agreed. While it is unfortunate that the flaw is there, it's affect on performance will be to small to notice.
Ricker64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: cnc heads Reply with quote

I just bought a pair. I got them in last week and they are not like yours try to return them to at least have them look at them to what they think. The only thing u would be out is the UPS fee of 15.00. Hope this helps
sparkmaster1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd run em... Heck wipe a bit of JB weld in there and smooth it out. It will buff out... Tim
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also bought a set of those heads. Be warned- if you get the 42X37 valved ones, you will have to remove the valves and hit the area behind the seat with a die grinder, because the head casting overhangs the valve seat. I don't know if this is an issue with the 40X35.5 valved ones, but with the 42X37's, it looks like they just installed the seats, and didn't do any clean up work to blend them into the port. Also, the valves will need to be lapped, I could tell it had not been done on mine.
FYI.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VDUBYA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, i was about to buy a set of cnc ports but ended up getting mine from steve tims. i'm glad if that now. Cb Has a great helpful staff though, i've always had good luck with them even though i havent ordered too many major parts i have had to return something and they'll take them back and refund or swap out with no questions asked pretty much. good luck.
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much every CNC head I have used on a motor has had some kind of area that didn't "clean up" in the machining process. It looks worse than it is..
It's a good idea to have your fresh set of CNC heads get a "fluff and buff" polish job and a nice 3 angle valve job if you want full potential.
Also, you should have the springs and guides checked for seat pressure and install heights.
This is all pretty much standard proceedure for any performance built head.
The only difference is that CB is doing the "rough" porting before you buy them.

You can always buy a set of really nice heads all done from a reputable head porter.
Or you can buy a set of CNC heads and only pay to have them cleand up and and nice valve job done.

I did just that recently for a customer's motor.
We looked at the timing, cost, and ultimat value. Still, the CNC ported head (after extra work) still came out as a better option for the application.
tomnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that pooh is on the long side of the port, basicallly just a visual turn off. If it were on the short side it would effect flow. Look at the size a welded bump required by a chevy size spring puts in the port in almost the same spot.

No big deal other than cosmetic.

DVKK

DSD, Dark Side Disciples
Progenitor
jamestwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 99% of my post in this one forum, because that's what i like, engines.

My .02 is those heads are fine to run. You are saving money by going with a CNC head. i think the CNC heads are a great value, but you can get better results with a hand port job by a quality porter But you pay for it.
CJG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James did you fluff and buff your Wedge port CNC Heads done by CB on your killer motor that you had at the dyno shoot out? Question
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: