Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

my thanksgiving breakdown whats yours
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
M_atthewanderson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: my thanksgiving breakdown whats yours Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So I have spent the last two weeks getting the vanagon all set for its four hour ride across Washington state from Seattle to Spokane. I took it to Wolfsburg mechanic to get a tune up and check on my poor starting.
A clean bill of health and a fresh ignition switch I had been commuting to work with no trouble at all.
On the 21st I came home from work and my brother and I loaded up the vanagon checking my snow chains, flash lights, tools and blankets. We were set and ready for our trip to Spokane. We started driving, about to leave our neighborhood right when the vanagon just stalled and died. All of the electronics worked my lights were bright and I slowly rolled to the side of the street and cranked on the key. The engine would turn but still not catch. So we resorted to pushing. First my brother pushed us about 50 yards then I pushed about 50 yards then we reached a hill and rolled it and it started after a few attempts. We were driving back to the house when it cut and died again. We each tried pushing it again but it was a lost cause.
It was now 11:30 and we were both soaked to the bone. We tried a jump from a stranger and cranked the engine but it would not engage. So we walked home about a mile over the magnolia hills in the rain at midnight and I called a tow truck. I walked back to the van to wait for the tow truck driver. Thankfully he came with a flatbed and loaded the whole thing up. I live on a hill and was worried that he would not be able to put it in my drive way. But I was in luck that I had a fearless tow truck driver who despite the angle said he would give it a shot.
He could not have parked it better.
The best part was that the tow truck could not be louder. With the headlights shining in the house across the street, the unloading of the van, and the accidental horn honks from filling out the paperwork, the two huge condos full of the Seattle old on each side could not help themselves from turning on their lights, peaking through their blinds wondering what those youngens are up to at this hour of the night.
It was now 1:30 and I put in a rental car reservation for 7:30 that morning over the internet with thrifty car rental. I found a dodge caliber that I would get a three day rental on for $89.00 with unlimited miles.
My brother and I made our way to thrifty car rental on pier 49 and walked in. I knew I was ready for the extra insurance charge at $20 a day but now I had a $25 a day under age 25 fee. I was looking outside for a dodge caliber while we were talking and didn’t spot any. Even though I knew it said “or similar car” I was still hoping for the dodge but was handed my key for my Chevy Malibu.
It was a great drive to Spokane and it was great driving a 2006 car without any trouble but what cd to play next.
So I to get into the thanksgiving mood I am very thankful that I got to see my family and spend time with them all and that I broke down close to home and not miles away in the cold of Snoqualmie summit.

lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's the spirit Wink Sounds like it could be your coil. Hope the turkey was good. I just about broke down myself. Only a 2 hour trip for me though. It rained cats and dogs all the way. About 2/3 through the trip my 82 started stumbling. Luckily she held out for us and we made it. She should be nice and dry tomorrow for the ride back. Good luck.
klucz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your troubles. The part about how loud the tow truck was cracked me up. Could have been worse, like on top of a mountain pass like you mentioned, 100 mile tow for me last winter (I'm thankful for AAA). Those colors are sweet, makes me think jack-o-lantern. That your Rabbit in the background?
Cat and Walter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to the dark world of vanagon break downs, better have a tow club membership or it gets even darker!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
M_atthewanderson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is my rabbit but it is just to low in the front to drive over the snoqualmie pass with slush and snow on the road.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: