Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I found a bus.....
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: I found a bus..... Reply with quote

OK, so I am in the middle of nowhere Colorado......last week my Girlfriend spotted a '74 white over orange (same as my Bessie, she's a '73) in a dirt parking lot in Lake George.......we stopped and had a look, it is clean of rust, and has all the seats. (plus some extras)

Today I drove back over and checked it out. It is literally sitting on the highway, and the keys are in the ignition. Yes, I started her up~!

The folks in the restaurant were shocked to see two busses the same color and basically the same model.....I told them I wanted to know who "owned" the bus, and they said, "if the keys are in it, it's yours"!

I am waiting for a call back from the owner of the restaurant, as the bus is parked in her lot......it has been abandoned there for a month.

It has air conditioning (over head of the driver)......and I was confused as to how the compressor gets power, as it just sits on the left side of the engine bay.

In any case, I want this bus.....I "need" the engine lid, as it is orange, and matches my Bessies......

I almost wanted to drive it home today after the lady said, "It's yours"

It had a 10 pack of bosche spark plugs in the glove box......

Any info on the Air Conditioner?

peace

p.s. this bus is 300 ft from OEVeeDub.......but NOT related

on edit......there are NO PLATES, and NO REGISTRATION IN THE BUS
VWBusrepairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: I found a bus..... Reply with quote

73kombi wrote:

Today I drove back over and checked it out. It is literally sitting on the highway, and the keys are in the ignition. Yes, I started her up~!

I'd have taken it to my garage, sir. Try and get it- save these old buses!
VWGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck with the bus! I'd wait to get it legally with paperwork if possible... you dont want it to be reported stolen and in your posession...

its crazy that they left the keys in it and it runs? why would someone abandon it?
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: I found a bus..... Reply with quote

VWBusrepairman wrote:
I'd have taken it to my garage, sir. Try and get it- save these old buses!

I will do my best to save this Bus........I just dont wanna get the silver bracelets for doing so.......

It has a brand new weber progressive carb set-up(no air filter)......and it wont run RPM's .....sittin' at a stop.

But I was curious as to the AC........how does that thing work?

peace
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: I found a bus..... Reply with quote

73kombi wrote:
But I was curious as to the AC........how does that thing work?

peace

Did you look at the Baywindow FAQ? Some info here.
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FAQ/FAQContent.html#0301

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: I found a bus..... Reply with quote

dwill49965 wrote:
Did you look at the Baywindow FAQ? Some info here.
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FAQ/FAQContent.html#0301

thanx for that Ratwell link.......

the AC compressor seems so odd in the engine bay.....no belts to it?

peace
alpendubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah jeez, now you have a mystery machine too. ha ha
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alpendubber wrote:
ah jeez, now you have a mystery machine too. ha ha

Yeah, but this bus ain't from Mexico.......just a weird bus, on the side of the road in Lake George....

Good Luck on that Mexi thang!

peace

p.s. call anytime......I wanna see that Mexi-Bus
steponmebbbboom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you cant just take it. call it in to the police and have them run a check on the VIN.
cbr900racer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dammit, so that's where i left it. that is the LAST fifth of Jack i am ever drinking Laughing i don't suppose you would kindly return it??... seriously, good luck with ownership, lucky dawg.
97 Blazer
07 Nitro
94 CBR900RR (runs 5.70s 1/8 mile)
dembus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somethin' smells fishy there!

69 Westy (R.I.P.)
68 Kombi
70 Westy
68 Beetle Sedan
69 Beetle Sedan
68 Deluxe
71 Deluxe
71 HT Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gmag69
Type2 Nutcase

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steponmebbbboom wrote:
you cant just take it. call it in to the police and have them run a check on the VIN.

This is good advice. I'd do this and then contact the owner and ask them about it. By the sounds of things I'm sure they'll give it to you.
Good luck. Smile

Peace,
Geno Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
USMCbug
Samba Yoda

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gmag69 wrote:
steponmebbbboom wrote:

This is good advice. I'd do this and then contact the owner and ask them about it. By the sounds of things I'm sure they'll give it to you.
Good luck. Smile

Peace,
Geno Very Happy
Dont use the one phone call they give you on me.
65 Split Window Bus
79 Baywindow Bus
71 Super Beetle (current)

"When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
scabbard."
- General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steponmebbbboom wrote:

I have NO intentions of just "Taking It". (well maybe the thought did cross my mind)

I called over to the South Park Sherriffs (it's in Park County) and I'm pretty sure I got this guy on the line......

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

He pretty much said what I thought he would......need to ticket it, wait 72 hours, then impound it.......wait 90 days, and then auction. (but the restaurant owner has to call it in)

But the thing is on private property, so I dont want to involve the Popo. Hopefully the owner of the restaurant will call me today with some info. I left my tele # in the speedometer, hell maybe even the owner might call.

cbr900racer wrote:
dammit, so that's where i left it. that is the LAST fifth of Jack i am ever drinking Laughing i don't suppose you would kindly return it??... seriously, good luck with ownership, lucky dawg.

This may not be that far from the story......as it is within 100ft of the bar in that town. It's just odd that no-one seemed to know about the bus in Lake George, as it's a small town on the highway population under 500, and everyone knows everyone else's business. I asked at the liquor store, the restaurant, even the Bait shop.

All identifying personal info has been removed from the bus, even the ashtray is empty.......and it has a cig lighter in the dash.

Odd thing is it has a new battery, new weber progressive, but NO air filter.......no one would drive arround up here without an air filter, as most of the roads are dirt. The bus even has working (noisy) ambulance fans.

I may have to drive back over today for another look see. Knowing it's just sitting there with the keys in it is driving me NUTS!

peace
VWBusrepairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

post some photos too, please.

Do you think the owner was victim to a homocide? Where is Grissom when you need him?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take it and let it sit in my driveway while I did the research on it.

the cops should be able to see who it is registered to.

There are some web sites that, I guess, can give you a vehicle's history if you have the VIN number. But I don't think they do it for free.

I would try to find the owner myself, if I were you. It sure doesn't seem like they want the bus.

good luck!
Save the bays!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, and now......the rest of the Story.

I drove back over today and talked to the waitresses in the restaurant, turns out the bus has been there a month, and it belongs to the owner of the restaurant! How they didn't know that yesterday is beyond me.

The dude came down to meet me, and sure enough he wants to sell the bus. Although his price is a little steep, @ $500, seeing how the thing barely runs, and he drove it 5 miles down dirt roads with no air filter! It's been sitting for two years with no air filter, probably why it runs like shit. (that and the weber progressive)

Also the window seals are really ruff, I think this was an AZ or NM bus, no need for AC in CO.

The bus is really oxidized, and I was wondering.....did VW use different colors of orange from '73 to '74? It seems darker than my '73.

The AC makes noise, and he said it should work......are those things worth any coin?

What turns the compressor in the engine compartment? It is mounted on the left side (drivers) of the engine, but has no belt going to it. The Bentley doesn't cover the AC, as it was a dealer added option. It appears that only the two hoses and the top of the compressor is above the tin, I have never seen a bus with AC.......any AC gurus?

peace

p.s. if your name is John, and you left a note on the front windscreen today, and you live in CO Springs.......guess what?

that note may have blown off! Shocked
GusC2it
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hay dude, The belt is hidden behind the blower shroud. to access it you have to remove the blower fan. There is a small pully behind that. If you remove the AC, leave the crank shaft pully in place. It acts as a spacer. Gus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWBusrepairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

73kombi wrote:

The dude came down to meet me, and sure enough he wants to sell the bus. Although his price is a little steep, @ $500, seeing how the thing barely runs, and he drove it 5 miles down dirt roads with no air filter! It's been sitting for two years with no air filter, probably why it runs like shit. (that and the weber progressive)

$500 for a running bus that isn't all rotted away- not bad at all. You can get it and probably make a driver from it.
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GusC2it wrote:
Hay dude, The belt is hidden behind the blower shroud. to access it you have to remove the blower fan. There is a small pully behind that. If you remove the AC, leave the crank shaft pully in place. It acts as a spacer. Gus

Thanks Gus.....that's what I was wondering.

VWBusrepairman wrote:
$500 for a running bus that isn't all rotted away- not bad at all. You can get it and probably make a driver from it.

I know $500 is pretty decent for a driver, with little rust (especially for you north easters!)

It's just that I paid $700 fer Bessie and she is so much more pretty! And Bessie has a brown (Mint Champagne Edition) middle seat!

The guy is gonna see if he can find the title and call me tomarow......I was hoping the price would be like $200....(I can hope)

It's just always fun to "find" a bus in the middle of nowhere, and let the negociations begin.

peace
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: