Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Good places to buy parts, and those to stay away from
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lostyzf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Good places to buy parts, and those to stay away from Reply with quote

Well its time to start to buy some interior stuff ie: carpet, seat covers, and then get a new muffler, and heat exchanger kit. Any recomendations in the Southern California area would be great. I'm in Claremont near Pomona.
oc63rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking for quality, restoration type parts I'd go with Wolfsburg West, BFY Obsolete or West Coast Metrics.

My food baby is crowning.
SkrapMetal
Samba Hornblaster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For carpet, Sewfine makes good stuff but they're expensive. I get everything through TMI and have had no problems
stasher1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spent a couple grand in the past month or so on misc. pieces from JBugs and Mid America and I really can't complain too much. Several of the interior pieces I ordered from JBugs were backordered, but they're slowly trickling in...and they're covering the shipping on all of the backorders. They shipped me a plastic roller pedal instead of the billet one I ordered, but as soon as I called to report it, they stuck the proper pedal in the mail along with return postage for the plastic one.

The german exterior aluminum trim kit I ordered from MA showed up with a dented piece, but one call to their customer service and they put another entire set in the mail and told me to pick the best pieces out of the two sets and send the rest back.

So far I'm pretty pleased.
Migit
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats great Stasher!! That means I can pick up your bent trim for my other project at swapfest for next to nothing!
stasher1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really not that bad. The cowl strip has got a ding about 1.5" from the end, right above the handle. I'm just a picky bastard. Smile
h wolfgang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A long time ago, I restored a '67 and later a '66 vert. I ordered all the rubber parts from West Coast Metric. ( I had a terrible experience with some J C Whitney rubber parts). The order was for nearly a grand $. When I got the stuff, there were a few parts shipped wrong ( for a later model ) and a couple parts I screwed up. When I called the first time about correcting the young sales person advised that I would have to pay the 10% return fee on everything--and would not admit any error on his part. I wrote a letter that obviously got to Mr. Pearson and his reply arranged for everything to be corrected with no fee attached even to the stuff I admitted to being my error.
If I need anything that's in the West Coast Metric catalog, that's where it comes from. Top quality and great customer service. Very Happy
nachche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: jc whitney Reply with quote

I also got wrong parts from them. they didn't charge me for refund but didn't admit that they had a mistake in their web site!
Yellowbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

h wolfgang wrote:
I wrote a letter that obviously got to Mr. Pearson and his reply arranged for everything to be corrected with no fee attached even to the stuff I admitted to being my error.

Many moons ago, I bought everything I needed (that WCM carried) to do a complete resto on my 62 Beetle. I phoned in my order(The internet was in it's infancy then) and when I showed up to pick the stuff up, I was given a tour of the museum by Lorenzo himself. Nice folks to deal with and quality parts.

Also: Wolfsburg West and BFY Obsolete are top notch.
Thanks. Thread went from me not being able to understand what Ipis was saying because English is obviously not his first language to me not being able to understand it because English is my first language Laughing

Fuel pumps galore:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=845378
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got all of my interior stuff from TMI, and initially I was happy with their products, but as my car is a daily driver, it gets more wear and tear than a show car. I have reglued my interior door panels 3 times, the ones in the back are peeling (only now have I seen cip1 offering mylar rain shields for this reason). My TMI ABS console is cracked. My TMI rear speaker shelf had to be rebuilt with something stronger than pressborad, as it broke right away. My TMI front seats, have worn ok, with only a small hole from a bad hog ring. My TMI sunvisors broke within a year, as the sockets are injection molded plastic and not cast metal like the originals.

EMPI makes a decent seat belt kit, which has bolts sticking out which I have to be careful as to not puncture my back seat.

Dash is from WCM, and as they normally make really good rubber parts, this dash has a weird low spot and the vent holes had to be cot to fit the vent grilles.

JC Whitney makes the most overpriced crap especially rubber. I have a WCM decklid seal which has lasted through all the engine heat cycles since it was replaced 5 years ago, whereas my front hood seal is from JCW and is cracked and crappy. Carpet is from JCW and doesn't fit well at all, there is a .750 gap between the front seat tracks and the carpet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matt175
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stay away from jcwhitney!
west coast metric and wolfsburg west are 2 of the best places to get any bug part, the price may be a little higher, but the quality is alot higher. you get what u pay for!
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JC Whitney IS crap, especially for seals! I bought one thing from them i was happy with, these 4-lug, black, VW logo center caps that you attach via the lugnuts on stock VW wheels. I have a black trim theme goin on and they fit in pretty well.
Mid-America was better when it was Rocky Mountain Motorworks, but i have never gotten anything from them that i was unhappy with. That said, there is a lot of garbage in their catalog, best to know what you're looking for.
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfsburg West is in Corona, and Westcoast Metric is in Harbor City. Both are top notch places and not to far from you.

-jeffrey
skaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cip1, EIS, and car craft, are all good along with all that were listed.
Ducklips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most problems I've had with any online dealer if MOFOCO. They charged my credit card after telling me my new heads would ship in 2 weeks. A month on no heads. Now, they say they were defective and will refund my money. Roy made a lot of smartass remarks too. I can't believe people can act like they do and stay in business. I will stay away from them.

I once won an argument with a women......in this dream I had.
The older I get, the better I used to be.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ducklips wrote:
The most problems I've had with any online dealer if MOFOCO. They charged my credit card after telling me my new heads would ship in 2 weeks. A month on no heads. Now, they say they were defective and will refund my money. Roy made a lot of smartass remarks too. I can't believe people can act like they do and stay in business. I will stay away from them.

Here is all I will say on this subject. The customer asked on Jan 2nd if he could place an order and pay when the heads ship. I agreed and also agreed to a faster timetable than normal(our wait was about 4-5 weeks at the time but he had a bad experience with another company and I wanted to help him out) We also normally require full payment up front, but I agreed to not charge his card. He then decides to order them off our website and enter all his credit card information, which of course then charges his card. I immediatelty contact him as soon as I see the order and offer to refund the money until the heads are done. He refuses. Since my father, the owner, had foot surgery over the holidays and still isn't fully recovered, I fell a couple days behind. The customer e-mails me to inquire about the heads and I tell him that I will be finishing them up that night and shipping them the next day. Well, as I'm machining the casting, I realize that the foundry put the wrong ports in. Unfortunately, these are my last two 041 castings. I then try to get the foundry to make me a couple heads quicker to rectify this problem. A day later, I get an unpleasant e-mail. My response is that I do not have any heads to send him and tell him I will give him a full refund.(This was on a Sat night while I was not working) On Wednesday, yesterday, I refund the full amount. After sending the refund through, I get another unpleasant e-mail. I respond outlining exactly what happened. I then recieve a 6 paragraph response demanding things and accusing me of other things. My final response was that since I was threatened, I will never be contacting him again. Since when does placing a custom order for a car part give people the right berate, accuse and get downright nasty with the people they order from? So the final thought here is this. He ordered heads, I was a couple days behind and as soon as I knew I couldn't deliver what I said, he was fully refunded 2 days later. Case closed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vinnems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the shop, but the products. Even Wolfsburg West sells junk.
Things not made by VW you need to be a bit weary of. Buy OEM, NOS, or used and you know you're getting something good. Aftermarket, it's all hit and miss, but there is some really great stuff out there.
Ducklips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Ducklips wrote:

Here is all I will say on this subject. The customer asked on Jan 2nd if he could place an order and pay when the heads ship. I agreed and also agreed to a faster timetable than normal(our wait was about 4-5 weeks at the time but he had a bad experience with another company and I wanted to help him out) We also normally require full payment up front, but I agreed to not charge his card. He then decides to order them off our website and enter all his credit card information, which of course then charges his card. I immediatelty contact him as soon as I see the order and offer to refund the money until the heads are done. He refuses. Since my father, the owner, had foot surgery over the holidays and still isn't fully recovered, I fell a couple days behind. The customer e-mails me to inquire about the heads and I tell him that I will be finishing them up that night and shipping them the next day. Well, as I'm machining the casting, I realize that the foundry put the wrong ports in. Unfortunately, these are my last two 041 castings. I then try to get the foundry to make me a couple heads quicker to rectify this problem. A day later, I get an unpleasant e-mail. My response is that I do not have any heads to send him and tell him I will give him a full refund.(This was on a Sat night while I was not working) On Wednesday, yesterday, I refund the full amount. After sending the refund through, I get another unpleasant e-mail. I respond outlining exactly what happened. I then recieve a 6 paragraph response demanding things and accusing me of other things. My final response was that since I was threatened, I will never be contacting him again. Since when does placing a custom order for a car part give people the right berate, accuse and get downright nasty with the people they order from? So the final thought here is this. He ordered heads, I was a couple days behind and as soon as I knew I couldn't deliver what I said, he was fully refunded 2 days later. Case closed.

Roy, The only thing true about any of this is that I emailed you on Jan. 2. You told me they would ship in 2 weeks. That would have been on the 16th. I didn't ask you anthing until the 25th, a week and a half after they were supposed to ship! You never emailed me about anything, only to answer and give excuses to my emails. You said you were machining the heads on Jan. 25 and they would ship the next day with tracking # emailed to me. When I hadn't gotten the tracking # I emailed you on the 28th. You told me of the problem and said you intended to advise me on the 30th! Here is the direct quote:On Friday afternoon, they responded that the earliest they could make me more heads is two weeks. "I was planning on contacting you on Monday to offer you a free upgrade to the 042 heads but I feel that returning your money is the best way to resolve this situation." How do you claim the next day? It was 3 days after you said you were shipping the next day! Then it took 2 more days for the refund.
The only threat I gave you was demanding an apology after your smart remarks. The only demands were for you to once tell the truth. I have all the emails to prove how this went down. You should be ashamed at your attitude. You have big ads all over the internet, but only have 2 heads to deliver? And they are defective? What does that say about Mofoco? The only instructions were for 87mm cylinders.

Ducklips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ducklips wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Ducklips wrote:

Roy, The only thing true about any of this is that I emailed you on Jan. 2. You told me they would ship in 2 weeks. That would have been on the 16th. I didn't ask you anthing until the 25th, a week and a half after they were supposed to ship! You never emailed me about anything, only to answer and give excuses to my emails. You said you were machining the heads on Jan. 25 and they would ship the next day with tracking # emailed to me. When I hadn't gotten the tracking # I emailed you on the 28th. You told me of the problem and said you intended to advise me on the 30th! Here is the direct quote:On Friday afternoon, they responded that the earliest they could make me more heads is two weeks. "I was planning on contacting you on Monday to offer you a free upgrade to the 042 heads but I feel that returning your money is the best way to resolve this situation." How do you claim the next day? It was 3 days after you said you were shipping the next day! Then it took 2 more days for the refund.
The only threat I gave you was demanding an apology after your smart remarks. The only demands were for you to once tell the truth. I have all the emails to prove how this went down. You should be ashamed at your attitude. You have big ads all over the internet, but only have 2 heads to deliver? And they are defective? What does that say about Mofoco? The only instructions were for 87mm cylinders.

Checked my credit card account this morning....still no refund from MOFOCO.

Koeppler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ducklips wrote:
Ducklips wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Ducklips wrote:

Checked my credit card account this morning....still no refund from MOFOCO.

Isn't there a buyer/seller feedback section for all this kind of back and forth?

And to answer the OP's original question, the buyer/seller feedback section is the place to find out.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: