Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

thin-lite question
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slowesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: thin-lite question Reply with quote

So, after camping this week for thanksgiving in the cold & wet of N. California, where we spent a considerable amount of time inside the van, I decided my middle light (the one above the stove) is miserable & needs to be upgraded.

Does anyone have any experience with this light?

http://store.solar-electric.com/tl-171.html

I have a fluorescent thin-lite installed by the PO above the engine that I love, and would like to have a similarly bright light above the stove. I searched thesamba and found nothing about thin-lite products, except that MSinabottle dislikes N. Arizon Wind & Sun....

This one looks like it would fit nicely where the current light sits & at 17" would cover quite a bit of territory.

Anyone know anything?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks suspiciously like the overpriced ones I picked up from GoWesty not too long ago... hmmm

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=2415&search_phrase=light&start=

I really like having the two flourescents in my 85 over the stock 3-bulb light that sat over the side cabinets/back table. I just wish I had done a little more snooping around. Go for it, you won't regret it.

Lundy
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Have a Look Here... Reply with quote

Been there, done that... Here's how it turned out:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=161963&highlight=illuminati

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NVVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put one over the back table and one over the stove and have no regrets. It's not a huge improvement but it is pretty noticeable and well worth the money.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I get a "round doit," I want 3. Here's some how and why. First I need to see the kids from time to time while driving. I also like a LOT of light. (I have a BIG aux battery.) So since I ditched that stupid stock heater, I still have the switch for it in the front. Wire that to turn an interesting combination of those lamps on. Of course, wire them so you can turn them on with the integral switch too. ( Now I have tons of mechanical work to do before I have time for lamps.)

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks very much like the stock light in my Wolfsburg Weekender. It puts out great light.
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry sells these light at a reasonable price. I bought three for my 85.
I installed one where the original incandecents three bulb unit was. Second one is on opposite side of van so when you open the slider you can reach up and turn it on to see inside. The third is mounted to the bottow of the rear cabinet on the right side with the switch to the rear. You can open the hatch and light up the back, or when you go to bed you have light. Just the center two units light the interior up plenty.
tikibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been looking for all sorts of alternatives to the stock lights in the Westy.

Here is one you all might be interested in:

http://www.dyersonline.com/pc-976-92-europa-double-surface-mount-light.aspx

They also carry a one light fixture as well.

Plus there is a product out there called EL wire:

www.worldaglow.com

Do some custom lighting set up for the Van with plexiglass tubing, etc.
Still on the drawing boards.

For plexiglass tubing:

www.curbell.com

Kinda wish to get away from the tungsten and get into LED or some type of lighting that draws very low amperage from the battery.

Not going the route of "Bling-Bling: Pimp My Ride" but rather pleasing indirect lighting.

Has anyone dealt with putting LED's or EL wire into the interior?
Founding member of the Empire State VW Camping Club.
http://www.empirevwcamping.org/
1984 Westy - Tiki
1997 Honda Civic -The Green Hornet
1971 Volvo P-1800E- needs TLC
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a work application (replace a floursant tube) we custom made some LED lamps using 15 degree beam width white LEDs. Basically we had two long circuit boards at about 30 degrees or so and that made two long strings of LEDs. We just could not find anything like that, at the time. Now, I bet if you look at the LED lighting places you should be able to find something like that. We used two electrical conduit clamps to suspend them on each end. Pretty cheap, but lots of labor to assemble the protos. It ends up being a bunch of LEDs and resistors inside. I like the light they put out, but they are not something I can get my hands on because they are a custom production item. BUT, I bet some LED light house should have something like that, these days now. We did that two years ago. Guess that is another thing to go investigate.

Like I read somewhere, the Westy is the Swiss Army knife of campers, you just have to get the right stuff to flip out.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
atarasi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wellington wrote:
I installed one where the original incandecents three bulb unit was. Second one is on opposite side of van so when you open the slider you can reach up and turn it on to see inside. The third is mounted to the bottow of the rear cabinet on the right side with the switch to the rear. You can open the hatch and light up the back, or when you go to bed you have light. Just the center two units light the interior up plenty.

Or, you can buy these same exact lights from N AZ Wind and Sun and save yourself $20 per light! Recently bought from them and was pleased with their careful packaging.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atarasi wrote:
Wellington wrote:

Or, you can buy these same exact lights from N AZ Wind and Sun and save yourself $20 per light! Recently bought from them and was pleased with their careful packaging.

SWEET! Savings like THAT deserves a quick link!!!!!!

http://store.solar-electric.com/tl-171.html
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: