Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sig Erson rockers. Worth keeping?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:55 pm    Post subject: Sig Erson rockers. Worth keeping? Reply with quote

I recently bought a box of used rocker arm assemblies , among other parts, that are supposedly Sig Erson. I only know the name but don't know anything about them. These seem to be more drag race ratio than something I would run on the street since they only made 1.5 and 1.6:1 ratios as far as I know.

Are these even worth anything to anyone? They look OK. Even wear across each set and the move freely, etc. If you guys have opinions on them please let me know.

Thanks, NAES
SBS #00
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Sig Erson rockers. Worth keeping? Reply with quote

They’re still around, just not catering to the old VW crowd much anymore if at all. I think they made good stuff.
I still have one of their VW-200 cams with matching lifters. It’s not meant for ratio rockers though. I replaced a C-35 cam with one and ran it in a 1915 for a while. Liked it much better than the C-35. Pulled a lot harder. Anyway, that engine broke into pieces so I found another one for the new build but plans changed.
So I still have it.
Trying, like you, to figure out what to do with it.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Sig Erson rockers. Worth keeping? Reply with quote

Inspect the wear surfaces for pitting. If they are ok, use 'em, but know what you're doing when it comes to setting up the valve train.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Sig Erson rockers. Worth keeping? Reply with quote

Are they the ones that use special pushrods? It seems that’s there’s a lot of rockers without the matching pushrods.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Sig Erson rockers. Worth keeping? Reply with quote

NJ John wrote:
Are they the ones that use special pushrods? It seems that’s there’s a lot of rockers without the matching pushrods.

Gene Berg Enterprises used to sell adjuster screws to convert Sigs to use "normal" pushrods.

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
Bill Schwimmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Sig Erson rockers. Worth keeping? Reply with quote

I had a set of Sig's for my first set of ratio rockers years ago. Broke the shaft off on an exhaust rocker & the bores wear and need to be bushed. There are much better choices today.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Sig Erson rockers. Worth keeping? Reply with quote

Kinda what I figured. I'll probably end up sending them down the road to someone who can reallyuse them

Thanks guys
SBS #00
awkward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Sig Erson rockers. Worth keeping? Reply with quote

I did the original testing on those.
It was when "Babe" Erson was working for Sig.
I pulled the race motor out of my 59, and put in a stock 1500.
We took it out to Lions drag strip and did comparison runs to see the difference in times.
A long time ago
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Sig Erson rockers. Worth keeping? Reply with quote

awkward wrote:
I did the original testing on those.
It was when "Babe" Erson was working for Sig.
I pulled the race motor out of my 59, and put in a stock 1500.
We took it out to Lions drag strip and did comparison runs to see the difference in times.
A long time ago

WOW!!!! That's pretty cool history right there!!

nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Sig Erson rockers. Worth keeping? Reply with quote

They are good for displays. I have a set -they have the usual chewed feet.
Not much to do w/ them. Laughing

There are much better ones now and forged units. Scat or CB forgings are good. I ran Berg rockers and pretty good on them.
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Sig Erson rockers. Worth keeping? Reply with quote

After some more parts digging I've ended up with 2 sets of Sigs, one might be new. I'll pull them off the shafts and look closer.

I also ended up with 4 more sets of rockers, 2 new, 2 used. No stamping on them but they're larger and bushed with the regular looking cup end on them for the pushrod. All in all I'm happy.

Thanks again guys for the info and input
SBS #00
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: