Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Split Air cleaner?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Concept1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Split Air cleaner? Reply with quote

Is this a correct Split (52') air cleaner? (to the right of the fan shroud) I know it's not the typical T-type, but the PO thought it may have been correct for the Canadian (colder climate) market (?)

Thanks in advance.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lurkinstock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Split Aircleaner Reply with quote

The split aircleaners that I'm aware of are the early split small mushroom, the " T " or coffee can, and the ultra rare cyclone ( which looks like a gatorade bottle turned on it's side. That looks like a 55 or so oil bath. Wink
Concept1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry... I should have taken a better picture of it, but it has a wingnut to hold the top plate on. The oval one's I've seen have one strap or two clamps on the sides. Does this help?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one in the picture looks correct. Talkin about rare this is the rarest!!
It was used just before the strap-one in 1952.
Congratulation! Very Happy Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Concept1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, Thanks for the info!
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought T aircleaners when into the zwitters? Then the wingnut version?

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
Burman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The information I have is that the oilbath-filter came (20 of August 1952). Just before the zwitter was introduced. And the wingnut version was the first version. This means no zwitters ever came with a T-aircleaner (others than the ones that had to wear this unfasionable "carburator-hat"
due to economic/emptying the shelfs reasons. Zwitter standards maybe)
Wich also means that the last splits had the wingnut aircleaner Surprised.
But who am I to tell?...I wasnīt even borned in 1952 Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They must have went into both then, because I could swear I've seen early OG zwitters with the T aircleaner. Maybe its like the Cyclonic aircleaner, different ones went to different countries depending on the climate (i.e, cyclonic for dusty conditions)?

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
Burman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be..could be Wink Wink
twinwindows
Samba Pimp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it should have a T air cleaner
CHRISTINE
GFK LIFER!

myzamboni wrote:
Yeah, everyone's now doing it GFK style . . . everythinig is covert until the finished product is revealed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
billmetric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the wing nut oil bath was an accessory, it is "correct" for a split though, I wouldn't deduct any points for one at a concourse, zwitters did use the T-filter unless they had a cyclone or the accessory oil bath type, later in 53 the oil bath got the strap top without the rain guard lip then the 3rd version of the oil bath had the strap and splash guard rain lip, despite how rare the early oil bath is I think anyone would exchange one for the T-type because of its much higher cool factor
There is an idea of a Billmetric; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there...
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the wing nut oil bath is way cooler than a common T.
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I think the wing nut oil bath is way cooler than a common T.

Lol...."common T".

But I agree. Keep the wing nut.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well common in the split world I mean, I seem to see at least one per week for sale on the samba or Epay I rarley see the othes except for the later mushroom air clean used on industrail engines ect not the early rare real ones. I never have seen the strap cleaner with the wing nut for sale.
Burman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnīt agree to say the oilbath was an accesorie. They were introduced as an original VW part in 1952 and cars were fitted with these
at the factory from that year. Maybee U.S models were different and kept the T-aircleaner longer, I donīt know Wink
Keep the wingnut!...Way coooler if you ask me Wink Wink
kevm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: aircleaner Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Well common in the split world I mean, I seem to see at least one per week for sale on the samba or Epay I rarley see the othes except for the later mushroom air clean used on industrail engines ect not the early rare real ones. I never have seen the strap cleaner with the wing nut for sale.

What are the differences between early (rare) mushroom aircleaners and late industrial ones ? are they different makes ?

Thanks
Kev
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billmetric wrote:
the wing nut oil bath was an accessory, it is "correct" for a split though, I wouldn't deduct any points for one at a concourse, zwitters did use the T-filter unless they had a cyclone or the accessory oil bath type, later in 53 the oil bath got the strap top without the rain guard lip then the 3rd version of the oil bath had the strap and splash guard rain lip, despite how rare the early oil bath is I think anyone would exchange one for the T-type because of its much higher cool factor

My '53 has the early strap on a non-lipped filter. Interesting, as I thought the lip had something to do with heat and not water. The water explanination makes more sense. Cool
oval53/split52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:
billmetric wrote:

My '53 has the early strap on a non-lipped filter. Interesting, as I thought the lip had something to do with heat and not water. The water explanination makes more sense. Cool

My june 53 beetle also got this non-lipped filter without wingnut . I allways believed this was because the lipped filter came in production later. Maybe in 54 sometime.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billmetric wrote:
I think anyone would exchange one for the T-type because of its much higher cool factor
Well, maybe. Very Happy But the bottom line is, Volkswagen always sent their best stuf to North America first, and the oil bath was clearly a big improvement over the old felt element filter (T-type air cleaner).

In the old Mechannix Illustrated article in which Tom McCahill slogs through the snow on New Years Eve 1952 in an oval-dash split, the engine photo clearly shows the oil bath cleaner.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
Volkswagen always sent their best stuf to North America first, and the oil bath was clearly a big improvement over the old felt element filter (T-type air cleaner).

Most of the Hoffman splits I have seen, including my own, had the Cyclonic aircleaner and not the T.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: