Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The KONI Shocks have arrived!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
BusPriest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: The KONI Shocks have arrived! Reply with quote

damn, i just bought mine 4 weeks ago. ha.
Not a Priest.
Silverboot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The KONI Shocks have arrived! Reply with quote

i decided to pull the trigger on them. figured the rebate was too good to pass up, been talking myself out of them for a while now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BusterBrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The KONI Shocks have arrived! Reply with quote

Silverboot wrote:
i decided to pull the trigger on them. figured the rebate was too good to pass up, been talking myself out of them for a while now.

You won't be sorry. As they say, "Buy quality and only cry once".

I love my KONIs. They made a HUGE difference in the ride of my bus. Very Happy

Life is short. Can I have some of yours?
chimneyfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The KONI Shocks have arrived! Reply with quote

Welcome to the KONI club, well worth it.

The more people that make this upgrade (this was an oriiginal VW OEM option back in the day - http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Koni.html ), with a steady flow of new buyers, the less chance they will go NLA.
1972 T2 Camper (Devon), 1988 Golf, 1972 Type 1, 1984 Polo, 1972 T2 Camper (Danbury)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Silverboot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The KONI Shocks have arrived! Reply with quote

I have seen nothing but positive praise, so eager to part of the club. I just gotta find time to put the suckers on when they show up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pierrox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: The KONI Shocks have arrived! Reply with quote

I'm shopping for shocks for our restored 1971 Westy and it seems Koni's are just the best things next to melted chocolate on vanilla ice cream.
Ours is a 1971 with the ligner T1 engine, yet it's a Westy, with its heavy furniture. Two of us on the road in general, with normal camping gear. Should I stick to the (rare) 1968-71 shocks or should I go for the later ones, for the 1972-79 bus?
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: The KONI Shocks have arrived! Reply with quote

I have a 70' bay camper. I removed the gas charged KYB's on the front and reinstalled new, stock shocks from Sachs on it. I paid $80 dollars for both delivered. I love them.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
pierrox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The KONI Shocks have arrived! Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
I have a 70' bay camper. I removed the gas charged KYB's on the front and reinstalled new, stock shocks from Sachs on it. I paid $80 dollars for both delivered. I love them.

Sachs is a good brand with a good reputation over in Europe. It is indeed a huge difference in price, I guess it can be a good option for a bus that's used lightly - like ours...
vwt2vietnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: The KONI Shocks have arrived! Reply with quote

Should I order these Koni shocks on ebay?

Front: http://www.ebay.com/itm/KONI-80-2110-Classic-Red-S...mp;vxp=mtr
Rear: http://www.ebay.com/itm/KONI-Classic-Red-Shock-Rea...mp;vxp=mtr

Thank you
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: The KONI Shocks have arrived! Reply with quote

vwt2vietnam wrote:

Thank you

Probably not. Consider spending the extra seven dollars to buy the shocks from bus depot. BD is the reason these shocks exist in the first place. Without their business dealings, the shocks would not be available. What has that eBay seller done to improve the Volkswagen community? The date ranges on the eBay listing are wrong; does that give you confidence as a buyer?

Good for thought..
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: The KONI Shocks have arrived! Reply with quote

I just purchased front and rear Koni shocks for a 1967 bus last week. The best price was found at Jegs. Part numbers used were 80-1349 front and 80-1350 rear. The delivered price was $345. I think that's a whole lot less than the Bus Depot price.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: The KONI Shocks have arrived! Reply with quote

pierrox wrote:
I'm shopping for shocks for our restored 1971 Westy and it seems Koni's are just the best things next to melted chocolate on vanilla ice cream.
Ours is a 1971 with the ligner T1 engine, yet it's a Westy, with its heavy furniture. Two of us on the road in general, with normal camping gear. Should I stick to the (rare) 1968-71 shocks or should I go for the later ones, for the 1972-79 bus?

Thnx to mayor ratwell
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Koni.html#parts
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The KONI Shocks have arrived! Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
I just purchased front and rear Koni shocks for a 1967 bus last week. The best price was found at Jegs. Part numbers used were 80-1349 front and 80-1350 rear. The delivered price was $345. I think that's a whole lot less than the Bus Depot price.

The sad thing is that my Koni's ride well but they have the same feel as the oil filled US made HD Monroe's / Gabriel's of the 1970's that were on my 1971 deluxe sunroof 7P. Those were usually about $60 - $80 a set. Both companies are name only now and I think all their products are made overseas. Certainly no where near the quality of the ones made in the 1970's.
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The KONI Shocks have arrived! Reply with quote

Curious thing is that $80 in 1976 is around $348 today - according to this random website https://www.dollartimes.com/inflation/inflation.php?amount=80&year=1976.

I justify spending too much money on parts by contemplating the likely dealer price, new, in '76 and then adjusting for inflation. Makes me feel better Smile
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The KONI Shocks have arrived! Reply with quote

tommu wrote:
Curious thing is that $80 in 1976 is around $348 today - according to this random website https://www.dollartimes.com/inflation/inflation.php?amount=80&year=1976.

I justify spending too much money on parts by contemplating the likely dealer price, new, in '76 and then adjusting for inflation. Makes me feel better Smile

And I take comfort in the Koni lifetime warranty, so I'll literally never spend another dollar on shocks (or steering dampers!) ever again.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The KONI Shocks have arrived! Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

And I take comfort in the Koni lifetime warranty, so I'll literally never spend another dollar on shocks (or steering dampers!) ever again.

Robbie

until Koni gets bought up and the lifetime warranty is no longer, but hey, whatever makes you sleep better at night....

and I agree with SG....these shocks are way over rated for what they are, and really ride no differently in a bus as a good quality shock would anyway.

who's got 300 extra clams in his wallet?

this guy!

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The KONI Shocks have arrived! Reply with quote

I drove a bus with the Koni's on it. I can't say it felt any different than mine w/the Sachs on it. I know I much prefer the oil filled Sachs over the KYB gas charged. YUK!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The KONI Shocks have arrived! Reply with quote

So much hate
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
vwt2vietnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: The KONI Shocks have arrived! Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
vwt2vietnam wrote:

Thank you

Probably not. Consider spending the extra seven dollars to buy the shocks from bus depot. BD is the reason these shocks exist in the first place. Without their business dealings, the shocks would not be available. What has that eBay seller done to improve the Volkswagen community? The date ranges on the eBay listing are wrong; does that give you confidence as a buyer?

Good for thought..
Robbie

Last year I can access to busdepot but not now. I don't know why. I live in Vietnam
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: The KONI Shocks have arrived! Reply with quote

vwt2vietnam wrote:

Last year I can access to busdepot but not now. I don't know why. I live in Vietnam

Does the page http://www.busdepot.com not load for you? How about if you paste 67.225.227.40 into the browser?

Vietnam blocks access to a lot of sites, maybe busdepot.com has been caught up in that somehow.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: