Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The KONI Shocks have arrived!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
BusDepot appears to be out of the Koni shocks for 69 model.

We were sold out, but we just got them back. Koni agreed to do a custom run of the '68-69 fronts and '68-71 rears for us, complete with period graphics. (To recap, the early rears have slightly different specs and valving due to the type 1 engines reduced weight compared to the type 4 engine.) We also have the later ones back in stock ('70-79 fronts and '72-79 rears). As always, these are not cheap shocks, but between the excellent handling and quality, the adjustable ride, and the lifetime factory warranty they are literally the last shocks you'll ever buy.

Links:
http://www.busdepot.com/801966 ('68-69 front)
[urlhttp://www.busdepot.com/802110 ('70-79 front)
http://www.busdepot.com/801967 ('68-71 rear)
http://www.busdepot.com/802220 ('72-79 rear)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron, thanks for letting us know, AND for restocking them! These are one of the few parts out there that pass my quiz:

If something costs three times as much but lasts ten times as long, which is REALLY cheaper?

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
If something costs three times as much but lasts ten times as long, which is REALLY cheaper?

VW people

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flat4powerhouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

VW people

hahahaha so so true, the peoples car

78 bay window truck
68 baja bug
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill get on the boat soon enough....Smile

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:

Gotta save those pennies for that trasaxle install and your Colorado trip. Smile
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
mack00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:
Quote:
BusDepot appears to be out of the Koni shocks for 69 model.

We were sold out, but we just got them back. Koni agreed to do a custom run of the '68-69 fronts and '68-71 rears for us, complete with period graphics. (To recap, the early rears have slightly different specs and valving due to the type 1 engines reduced weight compared to the type 4 engine.) We also have the later ones back in stock ('70-79 fronts and '72-79 rears). As always, these are not cheap shocks, but between the excellent handling and quality, the adjustable ride, and the lifetime factory warranty they are literally the last shocks you'll ever buy.

Links:
http://www.busdepot.com/801966 ('68-69 front)
[urlhttp://www.busdepot.com/802110 ('70-79 front)
http://www.busdepot.com/801967 ('68-71 rear)

So I have a 69 single cab. Installing a Suby 2.5 DOHC. This engine probably is close in weight to the type 4 engine. Should I consider using the later 72-79 shock in the rear? I would think the rear of a single cab weighs less than a bus/camper. Does this equal out and put me back to the early shock?
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mack00 wrote:
So I have a 69 single cab. Installing a Suby 2.5 DOHC. This engine probably is close in weight to the type 4 engine. Should I consider using the later 72-79 shock in the rear? I would think the rear of a single cab weighs less than a bus/camper. Does this equal out and put me back to the early shock?

No easy answer for that one, since Koni didn't differentiate between pickups and Buses. Your single cab is a bit lighter than a Bus in the rear when unladen, but it may be heavier when hauling a full load. If you typically drive it with an empty bed and treasure chest, I'd concur that the extra engine weight is probably offset by the lower total rear weight and suggest the early shocks. But if you often haul heavy loads I'd probably use the later ones.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:
mack00 wrote:

No easy answer for that one, since Koni didn't differentiate between pickups and Buses. Your single cab is a bit lighter than a Bus in the rear when unladen, but it may be heavier when hauling a full load. If you typically drive it with an empty bed and treasure chest, I'd concur that the extra engine weight is probably offset by the lower total rear weight and suggest the early shocks. But if you often haul heavy loads I'd probably use the later ones.

The later Koni is also 11mm shorter composed, and 20mm longer fully extended, so you SHOULD be fine. I wouldn't go the other way and put an early shock on a late rear end, though.

Someone also mentioned that the rear shock towers were slightly different as well, so I would stick with the '69 shock and adjust it until you find your preferred resistance. See, aren't these things neat-o?

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:

Pft, I'm going Fox 2.0s. Who needs the torsion bars?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my Konis installed on my '75 Westy over the weekend Smile My old shocks were definitely gas charged...black...looks like they've been on there a while. I didn't look at them closely enough to see any stamped numbers.

Initial impressions of the ride: it really didn't feel that different at first. I went with the softest setting on the front and one half turn on the rears. There was definitely less lean on turns and then this morning, on the highway, the ride was steady and sure with a tighter feel...much less affected by crosswinds. That said, the ride at lower speeds, hitting potholes and speed bumps, is still quite supple. I also don't feel the car bobbing as much, and maybe there's a bit less dive with the brakes.

I got mine from ShockWarehouse.com and think the deal was pretty good. It took them maybe a week to get them in the mail.

- Doug
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the Koni's on the front a few days ago. Gonna do the rears eventually, but I need to set aside the time to do the torsion bars as well (currently running coil-overs in the rear).

The old front shocks where maybe original... black Boge shocks made in "West Germany". They still had good resistance throughout the full stroke and didn't seem obviously worn out. But the Koni's make a huge difference. I set mine at one half turn. Ride on the highway is much, much improved. Straighter tracking, less affected by wind, less brake dive, and still pretty supple over bumps although more "new Mercedes" than the previous "old Cadillac". A worthwhile improvement.
Mark70baja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure these are the same KONI shocks. On sale now, but not expected in until mid-July. Pretty big savings on the fronts though.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/kon-82-2101/overview/year/1982/make/volkswagen/model/vanagon

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/kon-82-2100/overview/year/1982/make/volkswagen/model/vanagon

82 Vanagon with ASI Full Camper Conversion, 2010 Jeep Rubicon
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanagon shocks are different than Bay Bus shocks.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read these shocks are wonderful. I get it. Bus gets used only for camping and day offs. Mostly 6 months a year. I'm not usually thrifty on parts but 4 bills on shocks seems steep. Is there a less expensive shock worth looking into? I only average about 3500 miles a year. The KYBs on there now seem OK.
I run sway bars too. Just thinking budget might be better spent on essentials. Apologizes if this is the wrong place to ask. Thanks.
72 Campmobile.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
I read these shocks are wonderful. I get it. Bus gets used only for camping and day offs. Mostly 6 months a year. I'm not usually thrifty on parts but 4 bills on shocks seems steep. Is there a less expensive shock worth looking into? I only average about 3500 miles a year. The KYBs on there now seem OK.
I run sway bars too. Just thinking budget might be better spent on essentials. Apologizes if this is the wrong place to ask. Thanks.
72 Campmobile.

I really think the Monroes sold from FLAPS are worthwhile if you want something cheap and decent for a "weekend ice cream car". I didn't love them off road, but the Konis were a surprisingly anti-climactic upgrade compared to them. I think it's around $80 for the whole bus.

CAVEAT! Some people report them being too short in the rear. I installed them with the bus off the ground last year on a '76, and they fit fine. YMMV.

Robbie
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
72 Campmobile.

I'm thinkin of trying bilstein I saw them for about $75 a pop. They made a huge improvement on my bug.
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Is there a less expensive shock worth looking into?

I'm pretty happy with my KYB GR2s

(A lot happier than I was with the KYB Gas-Adjust)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Is there a less expensive shock worth looking into? I only average about 3500 miles a year.

I've been happy with the Boge/Sachs "High Performance" rear shocks I got through BusDepot (http://www.busdepot.com/211513031rhd) and the NOS VW/Boge front shocks I put on a couple of years ago, and I daily-drive mine.

Before that I was running KYB GR2's up front with Gas-A-Justs in the rear, which was "conventional wisdom" around here for quite some time .. and while I thought the front was fine, I *hated* (absolutely HATED!) the rears. Way too stiff and bouncy IMO, and I would have taken them off years earlier if I'd had anything to put on in their place...
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The KONI Shocks have arrived! Reply with quote

If you've been thinking of upgrading to Koni's this may be the time. Koni is running a $50 factory rebate on a set of 4, and I have confirmed that they will honor the rebate on '70-79 font and '72-79 rear Bus shocks purchased through us even though they're not a normal production shock for Koni. That would be these ones...

http://www.busdepot.com/802110 ('70-79 front)

The earlier ones are a bit murkier. Those are officially a Bus Depot only product (meaning they won't do custom runs for anyone else regardless of quantity). Technically the terms of the rebate are that custom shocks like these qualify for the rebate IF they appear in the Koni online catalog at koni-na.com. Which these do. However Koni has said they did not intend to include them and plan to remove them from the e-catalog during the rebate period to avoid paying out. As of this posting they're still there, but even so it wouldn't shock me if the rebate center gave you a fight over it (and I couldn't guarantee a win, even though you'd have a good argument as per the rebate terms). Therefore we're not mentioning a rebate for the early ones. However if you were planning on buying them anyway, if it were me I'd submit the rebate form and a screenshot of the e-catalog listing, as the worst they can say is no. As another alternative, if you have a '70 or '71 you could use the '72 up rears, as they will fit (and are confirmed for the rebate) only the valving is slightly different to compensate for the heavier Type 4 engine.

Anyway, I don't see Koni ever dropping the price on these Bus shocks (to the contrary they seem to go up every year, and at some point will probably go NLA entirely), so a $50 rebate is probably the closest thing to a price reduction you're ever likely to see.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: