Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

58 ghia winshield wiper removal?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
65ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: 58 ghia winshield wiper removal? Reply with quote

I'm trying to find the correct way to remove the windshield wiper motor.
I thought it was the similar to a 58-64 bug. Bought the wolfsbug west 6 to 12 volt conversion. Is there a simple way to remove or do I have to remove each linkage arm and its circlip?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went through this on my '56...

It's a PITA, particularly if you have over-sized hands like mine.

I removed the linkages from the motor, and then the motor from the cowl support. I think this would be easier than trying to remove the motor with the linkages attached.
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
65ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks. thats what i thought. kind of unique for lowlights. My 65 ghia is very easy like a type 1. I'll put some extra time aside on the weekend. I thought i could remove it in 5 mintues in the dark with a flash light.
Tall Bloke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: 58ghia winshield wiper removal? Reply with quote

Resurrecting an old post - can the motor be removed on its own or do you need to remove the wiper arm pivots? also, are there circlips connecting the linkage to the motor pin and the pivots or will they slide over once the motor is loosened from its mounting ?

Doing the same job 6v - 12v armature conversion.

Thanks Tim
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: 58ghia winshield wiper removal? Reply with quote

There is a C clip that holds the linkage to the motor. I would leave the wiper pivots in place and only remove the clip from the motor and push the linkage to the side.

Here you can see the clip on the motor:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and a few random images that might help:

danny gabbard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: 58ghia winshield wiper removal? Reply with quote

Pretty tidey there loren
Tall Bloke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: 58ghia winshield wiper removal? Reply with quote

Once again Loren you have the detailed photos that help the 58/59 ghia owners to sort their problems - Thank you.
Tall Bloke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: 58ghia winshield wiper removal? Reply with quote

My 6v wiper motor running on a 12v system (10 years plus ) recently blew a fuse, which when replaced, continued to work as normal.
I noticed a black sticky goo from the motor, so decided to clean it up and in the process replace the armature with the 12v conversion available to prevent this happening in the future.

The black goo was the grease that had liquefied as the unit must of over heated causing the fuse to blow, the insulation had also burned off the 6v armature wire winding.- see photo bottom picture below compared with the green insulation on the 12v armature in the upper photo.

Long story short - after cleaning motor and replacing the armature with the 12v armature, I cannot get the motor to work correctly as the unit is burning through the spring that holds the carbon contact brushes together,- ( spring on tool cabinet that has over heated and lost its "spring" in the background of photo 1), this has happened 3 times, so I am running out of replacement springs and ideas.

In the clean up, I replaced the main black wire as the insulation was very brittle showing the copper wire in places.- now red insulated wire.

The motor has managed to rotate the lever arm at the rear approx. 1/4 of a turn before the spring was glowing orange (this was seen without the motor cover on to witness what was happening).

I have also noticed the original 6v armature has a dimple on the end whereas the 12v replacement part does not - this leaves a gap to the contact - see 2nd photo - is this an issue ?

[/img]

Although this has happened 3 times, the fuse does not blow - I am assuming I have a short in the wiper motor but cannot find anything.

Any suggestions?
venomous-67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 58ghia winshield wiper removal? Reply with quote

Hello
I'm working on this type of wiper motor at the moment.
What type of spindles have you used?
I have noticed a notch cut in the brass threaded part.
Cheers, Nick
Tall Bloke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: 58 ghia winshield wiper removal? Reply with quote

Custom & Commercial have all years - see link .

https://www.customandcommercial.com/vw-karmann_ghia/ghia_wiper_parts/ghia_early_wiper_parts/
venomous-67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 ghia winshield wiper removal? Reply with quote

Tall Bloke wrote:
Custom & Commercial have all years - see link .

https://www.customandcommercial.com/vw-karmann_ghia/ghia_wiper_parts/ghia_early_wiper_parts/

Thanks, I've noticed the 58-59 ones on the website.
Its just strange that the ones off the car have a flat on one side as if they locate into a D shape in the scuttle panel.

Cheers, Nick
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: