Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

London Roadster
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LR1983
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: London Roadster Reply with quote

Hello all. I'm new to the board. This past summer I bought a factory built London Roadster for my wife. This is an early 1950s MGTD replica built on a Beetle chassis and engine. Although I've built several hot rods (currently have a T-Bucket Roadster), this is my first experience with VWs. The London Roadster is running well and my wife drove it all summer and am now in the process of making some modifications to it and performing some maintenance.

I have a question - the engine in the car is a 1973-74 1600. In 1994, the prior owner of the car had a fully automatic transmission installed in this car. It is believed to be out of a Ghia and for the most part was a bolt-in swap. I have no way to verify this info so I'm taking it on face-value until proven differently. The issue: it appears the vacuum modulator mounted on the right rear side of the trans case is passing some trans fluid out to the vacuum hose. This is a small amount of fluid and is not (yet) sufficient in volume to make it all the way back to the vacuum source on the engine. I have been trying to locate a replacement modulator but am having no luck. Not even sure of a part number. Any help or other background information on this part or the transmission is greatly appreciated.
Scott H
Samba Luddite

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have better luck with this question over in the buggy/kit car forum:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=38
I think more kit car folks hang out there.
This forum tends to be more watercooled stuff.

Or, since your drivetrain is late model Beetle/Ghia, you might ask in one of those forums for more specific advice.

... and here's a automatic/autostick website:
http://vwar.org/

Good luck.
LR1983
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the advice. Another member pointed me to a source for a new vacuum modulator and that is on its way. And a big time thanks for your referral to the autostick / automatic web site. Loads of good info there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: