Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Pump studs
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillyRx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Oil Pump studs Reply with quote

Hey has anyone removed oil pump studs? How are they installed and is it difficult to remove then. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks I'm doing my first rebuild of an old 40hp motor. Idea
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It shouldn't be hard at all. I just double-nut them to remove & install them.
BillyRx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark they came right out. Will be putting in 37mm studs so I can torque the nuts down to spec.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillyRx wrote:
Thanks Mark they came right out. Will be putting in 37mm studs so I can torque the nuts down to spec.

37mm?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he probably put in a HD pump that's thicker, and needed longer studs so he could get the nuts on all the way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
65BAJA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you get those studs? I have an H case with the small short studs and they don't fully stick through the HD punp on the motor.

I'll finish it!... Some day....
Edit, I started in 2003 and still haven't built a driving Baja. lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BillyRx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Napa has the 37mm studs or they can order them for you
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the last time I needed some longer M6 oil pump studs, I just bought some long fully threaded grade 8.8 bolts at the hardware store and cut the heads off, and cleaned then up with a tap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Pump studs Reply with quote

How are the oil pump studs supposed to be. Are the stud holes blind such that the stud will bottom out?

I got my long block back from a rebuild and noticed the studs were at different protruding lengths.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I contacted the builder and he said the case was already like that and it was fine.

Should I double nut them and try to turn them in like the closest one? The picture doesn't really show that good but one is really far out, one next far out, one medium, and one close.

I don't recollect seeing them ever stick out this far on other engines.
tripicana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Pump studs Reply with quote

No, you were already told they are not blind hole, and you risk running the stud past the opening and into the cam. You only need like 3 threads for full strength.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Pump studs Reply with quote

Wait till you put the tin on and then the pulley. From the length of these I suspect the pulley will rub.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Pump studs Reply with quote

tripicana wrote:
No, you were already told they are not blind hole, and you risk running the stud past the opening and into the cam. You only need like 3 threads for full strength.

I know, I'm sorry. I just cut and pasted my original question here. Just trying all sources of experience regarding if the threads came out during disassembly so I can fix it now. I wouldn't just screw them in without taking them out and measuring with a probe first anyway now that I know they aren't blind. They are the original studs so I just didn't think VW would leave them sticking out that far nor that random.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Pump studs Reply with quote

What size pump? A 30mm pump on a 40 horse case is not a good idea IMO. Probably 26mm max.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Pump studs Reply with quote

I recommend a combination pump/oil filter unit. I have them on both my 1600cc and 1835cc engines in my VWs (almost 40 years on the 1835cc engine). They will fit 40hp engines too.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Pump studs Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
What size pump? A 30mm pump on a 40 horse case is not a good idea IMO. Probably 26mm max.

Don't know the mm number of the pump but he said stock. It is an H case 1500 with 1600 barrels and stock all else. The studs are the larger later diameter ones and were not added.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Pump studs Reply with quote

Since the case is not blind holed and oil is sitting inside there what keeps oil from coming out the studs' threads as all there is is a wavy washer and nut unlike the oil screen cover that has copper washer and cap nut? I know thread locker or sealant but that stuff is not a perfect seal.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Pump studs Reply with quote

The oil is not under pressure behind the studs so it seeps down to join the river from the crank seal blowng back under the engine. Just stops rust.

My OG AS41 and AS21 cases both were drilled through.

My 2018 vintage Autolinea AS21 has blind holes .. which confused me when the bolts stopped going in on a CB Maxi 3 when the cover was about 0.05 inch short of being on the pump.
Lots of oil on the ground and no pressure...

Then had to hack the ends off the bolts in the field where I fitted the pump..at a Techenders VW T2 aircooled technical, camping and drinking weekend in the UK.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Pump studs Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Since the case is not blind holed and oil is sitting inside there what keeps oil from coming out the studs' threads as all there is is a wavy washer and nut unlike the oil screen cover that has copper washer and cap nut? I know thread locker or sealant but that stuff is not a perfect seal.

I used the nuts from ACN.net that has the little rubber seal at the bottom and pulled the studs and put Teflon sealant on them (loctite 567 iirc) . Just Incase.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Pump studs Reply with quote

Thank you all for the knowledgeable answers.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: