Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

grinding this bondo out smells like ass
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: grinding this bondo out smells like ass Reply with quote

No it don't. It's worse. I know stink, killed half a dozen skunks this year, damn varmits trying to get my chickens, but this is worse. Don't last as long as skunk but dammit, bondo shouldn't smell like this. It's kind of femmy, a little sweet, but mixed with gym sock. Like your grandma's orthopedic sock a month after she broke her hip. Like the old lady's room at the old folks home. It's a smell that says you shouldn't be here; about to see something that will scar you for life. It's a really scary smell. And the high temp was 26 degrees today, no heater in the shop 'cept a little space one. Do I open the doors and freeze or brave the stink? Help! Make it go away!
inthecurl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your not using a filtered (cartridge) mask, be warned!! Bondo dust can cause SERIOUS (lung) health problems. Also using a mask blocks out some of the smell, and yeah, it stinks!!
Obsessed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using a grinder, you are actually melting it, that could explain the stench. use a heavy grit paper, 36 or 40 on a DA or a 8" mud hog if you have access to one. it will heat up, so be careful about panel warpage.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feh, you don't know what a horrid stench is unless you've ground bone. Wink

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used a sanding disc on my angle grinder to remove filler but most often I used an angle grinder with a twisted wire wheel on it and it works great. Just don't breathe the crap.
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the usual 8" angle grinder w/ a 36 disc, just a particle mask. It's not like throw up putrid, not like the bone meal plant in a small town in Iowa, just not right. All the bondo I've ground, and that would be a lot over most of 30 years, smells like , well bondo. A paint or primer like smell, resin, a body shop smell. This stuff makes my shop smell all fufu, as mentioned before. It's not burning, panels aren't warping, the 1/2" layer over crappy rust patches is comming off in piles of 36 grit dust on the floor. I will be burning some of it when I cut out the really bad parts. Maybe I should dump the old gear oil out of the tranny laying next to the project to combat the smell.
Matt K.
Paint and Body Nutcase

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check my "Sticky" for a way to remove filler.............if the stink is really bad buy some ground cinnamon and smear it on the filler beforeyou grind on it and it will smell like grandma's hot apple cider.............. Laughing
Tim10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cross your old ladys legs
diy570
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah dustbusting is great fun, and it only stinks for a little while. after you do it everyday for a few years, you won't really smell much of anything anymore.
itchy eyes, dried up hands, blue, green, or pink boogers coming from your nose, bloody noses, constant sniffing, accusations of being a coke head. it's all in good fun, right.........
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: