Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

intake leak?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rowroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject: intake leak? Reply with quote

My stock 1600dp powered '69 Beetle had a horrible hesitation (using an H30 carb and an 009 dist.). I took it to the local air cooled guru who adjusted the timing and carb and it ran like a champ. The next day I drove it to work and, again, it ran great. On the way home, the hesitation came back. It was bad enough that I would have to pump the gas just to keep it running. It idles great and runs great on the highway. On top of that, I was noticing a "squeak" that seemed to be coming from the engine (reminded me of my friends dual-carb baja).

The only thing that changed from the time I arrived at work until the time I left was the temp (it dropped ~20 degrees). When I arrived home, I verified that the intake nuts, rubber boots, and carb vacuum ports were tight/sealed, which they were. I sprayed starter fluid at all of the connections, but noticed no change in idle. After another spin around the block, the hesistation was still here. Then, just for the hell of it, I tried to tighten the nut that attaches the intake to the engine below the carb and found it to be loose. I tightened it up and went in the house for the night.

This morning (30 degrees outside), the car ran great . . . no hesitation whatsoever.

My question is this: Is there some sort of gasket at that location? It looks like it's just a solid mount. Did I really fix this thing? I can't help but think that the nut/mount has nothing to do with my problem.

Thanks
MedicTed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That nut is just a support. It has nothing to do with the intake runners. To get rid of the hesitation, first replace the 009 with an SVDA. Then get the carb adjusted.
Rowroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car runs great (normally) with the 009 and I just had the carb adjusted. This is an intermittent problem. Sometimes it runs better than any VW I've ever owned, while other times it runs like shit. I just can't pinpoint what's failing.

Example: I ran to Lowes today and the car ran great. When I left, I noticed that it was idling high, so I hit the gas to drop the idle. Once the revs settled down and I pulled out, BAM! The hesitation started again.
oldvolksguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to adjust the choke a little, it sounds like you are running the choke to lean and it is kicking off before the engine is warmed up enough....let me guess, you don't have a stock factory air cleaner, right?
Rowroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The air filter is a stock oil bath-style. The problem is every bit as bad when the engine is cold as it is after you drive 30 miles down the interstate and get off at an exit. Engine temperature doesn't seem to make a difference.

The fact that the problem is intermittent (sic) makes me think that something in the carb is not functioning properly. I'm not that sharp on Solex carbs, but I do know Holley's. If this were a Holley, then I would say the problem is with the transistion from the idle circuit to the run circuit caused by a lack of vacuum (for whatever reason) within the metering block, or the power valve diaphragm is bad.
oldvolksguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the pump nozzel in the carburetor and see if it is working right, another possible cause could be loose connections on the coil, or shorting wires goin to the coil and the distributor.
Kelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

German or Brazilian 009? How old is your 009? You have bushings on the dizzy's driveshaft that wear over time. When they go, get another distributor. 009s are cheap, I'd suggest something better, like an 010 or 019 if you wanna stay mechanical advance, SVDA 034 for stockish performance and mileage. Keep your 009 as a spare.

I had a 009 a few years ago with my 34pict3 carb and it ran well. Then it started running shitty. Everything was replaced or rebuilt, except the 009. Then the intermittant running problem started. I checked/replaced more stuff before I figured out it was an old, worn-out 009, which isnt worth sending anywhere for a rebuild. Bought a new one and the problem disappeared immediately. Then I bought a old 010 and had Glenn rebuild it. The engine ran a bit better than it did before.

My new 009 is my spare now.

There are folks who swear by the 009, dont be fooled, it's not the best option for distributors on the market.
I hate people. Are you people? I hate you.

Just trying to remember classic Samba quotes from the 'Days of Yore'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rowroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've heard that the 009 is basically a disposable dizzy. It's what came with the car. It just really pisses me off that this thing will run great, then shit the bed on me for no apparent reason. I'll check the bushings today.

Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: