Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

50-52 wiring harness
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spanish Flea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: 50-52 wiring harness Reply with quote

Recently the 50-52 wiring diagram has surfaced up on the internet. And to top it off someone put it in color.

The downside is (now no offence to who ever did it) a few of the wires are wrong. Plus they did it in a manner that you can’t tell the difference between black/red or red/black

So for the last few weeks I have been going over the diagram pixel by pixel cleaning it up and making the colors better to understand.

Here is where I’m going to need you guys. My ’52 is three thousand miles away. I need to confirm the color of a few wires.

I need to know the colors of the wires that lead from the door switch.
Two wires come from each door switch. The top wire goes to the wipers/interior switch. Terminal 54.

The bottom wire from the switch goes to the terminal that feeds power to the rear dome light.
I also need to know the color of that wire. (wire going to the dome light)

If i can get someone on the phone that would be even better. PM me you number and a good time to call and I will.

Thanks,

Spanish Flea
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: 50-52 wiring harnes. Reply with quote

Spanish Flea wrote:
Recently the 50-52 wiring diagram has surfaced up on the internet. And to top it off someone put it in color.

The downside is (now no offence to who ever did it) a few of the wires are wrong. Plus they did it in a manner that you can’t tell the difference between black/red or red/black

So for the last few weeks I have been going over the diagram pixel by pixel cleaning it up and making the colors better to understand.

Here is where I’m going to need you guys. My ’52 is three thousand miles away. I need to confirm the color of a few wires.

I need to know the colors of the wires that lead from the door switch.
Two wires come from each door switch. The top wire goes to the wipers/interior switch. Terminal 54.

The bottom wire from the switch goes to the terminal that feeds power to the rear dome light.
I also need to know the color of that wire. (wire going to the dome light)

If i can get someone on the phone that would be even better. PM me you number and a good time to call and I will.

Thanks,

Spanish Flea

Door switch wires are grey/green, both of them. (grey base, with green marker).

The dome light feed in the main harness is also grey/green.

There is no red/black wiring in splits, only black/red.

VW went f rom cloth to PVC wire gradually in '51. There are many examples of cars with both cloth covered and PVC wires in them (in different harnesses). Also, by mid 1952, some PVC loomed harnesses were being used, especially in the horn and brakelight switch harnesses.

PVC wires used spiral markers primarily, although I have seen a very few "banded" wires in some original PVC harnesses,

Cloth wires used banded markers always. Banding width rations vaired but was usually around 30-50%.

I have many old, original split harnesses I use for patterns in making the reproduction sets. I beleive that Kurt/Suboval colorized the diagram and there are no errors in wire routing that I am aware of except possibly one short wire run that is behind the speedo pod.

I'd be interested to know what you have found incorrect.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spanish Flea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad on the Red/Black..... I've been staring at this for a couple of weeks. But i hope ya get my drift on that.

There were two wire sections that he coded as black but on my refrence diagram shows it being Black/Red.

(3 fuse block, front) shows middle wire going to turn signal switch, he marked it as black when it should be Black/Red.

Wire going to the Oil Pressure switch, he had it as Blue/Gray, should be Blue/Green.

High Beam Swith, terminal 56, he has it as Yellow, should be Yellow/White.

Wires connecting to the Semi's are reversed. (don't know if this matters, but it shows it different on my refrence sheet.)

Running light wire for Popes Nose connects to Middle Fuse. (not that this matters, it's just what it shows on my refrence sheet.)

The ground for the bulbs in the spedo pod do not share the same ground. Only the Oil and Gen lights share the ground. The rest are seperate.

Cleaning up the connections on the Main Lighting Swith. (and others)

Over all I have made a lot of progress. Kudos to Kurt/Suboval for colorizing it. He did a great job. I'm just making it a little better.

John H., I'd love to share with you what I've got done so far. I'll email you what i got, and this "refrence" page i'm talking about.

Spanish Flea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E-mail me at [email protected].

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This what you started with??

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Suboval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The schematic found in the Gallery (https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/191447.jpg) and in the Technical\Wiring\Type 1 (http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bug_50.jpg) started its life as a black and white picture that I received from John. All I did was put the color lines on top of the existing black ones.

John – Wasn’t the picture from your 1950 Owner’s Manual?

Everett - The key (http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bug_50_key.jpg) is not the correct one. The correct key can be found on John’s http://zarwerks.com/ (http://zarwerks.com/zaradmin/50_beetle_wiring_diag_2.jpg ) Tech Werks Section.

I do see five areas that can be improved: d2, f1, u, u2 and n. (I must have been stuck in the Oval world that day. LOL!)

Spanish Flea - What book/manual/year are you using? Hopefully your picture will be crisper than the one I did! Please post a picture or two when you are done.
hawaii five-o
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting confused!

Which is the "correct" one to follow? I'm in the process of re-wiring my early Jan. '51. I printed out the diagram from thesamba's technical section. Is that ok to use?
steven wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I went back to reinstall my OG wiring in my split, I used John's Zarwerks diagram, Jim's Zarwerks diagram and The Samba diagram that Everett has here. All 3 diagrams were different and I just took it one step at a time and figured it out by process of alimination. All of the color codes were different. I had Kinko's blow up one of the wiring diagrams to 3'x5' Mylar so it was very easy to read.
Suboval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The schematic found on zarwerks.com and the one on The Samba\technical\wiring\Type1\1950 are the same one.
steven wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suboval wrote:
The schematic found on zarwerks.com and the one on The Samba\technical\wiring\Type1\1950 are the same one.

I didn't get it off of Zarwerks.com. I bought so much stuff from John and Jim they were nice enough to help me out with schematics.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here is what I know. There are some coloration errors in both the diagram in the technical section here, and at zarwerks, thanks to Spanish F for finding them.

Quote:
My bad on the Red/Black..... I've been staring at this for a couple of weeks. But i hope ya get my drift on that.

I do.

Quote:
(3 fuse block, front) shows middle wire going to turn signal switch, he marked it as black when it should be Black/Red.

That is actually not a fuse box, but a "3 wide" junction block that couples the upper front wires to the brake light switch and return ground (via horn button) for the horn. SF is right, the run in the upper front harness that ties the M3 splice to the M4 (3 wide) splice should be black/red in the diagram, no black.

Quote:
Wire going to the Oil Pressure switch, he had it as Blue/Gray, should be Blue/Green.

Correct, it should be blue green. (trivia: At 15.05 feet, that is the longest single run wire in the split!)

Quote:

Actually it should be white/black. This is the main power feed from the headlight switch to the dimmer pedal and is part of the upper front harness. SF: if you ahve other references that show it as yellow/white, I'd be interested in them.

Quote:
Wires connecting to the Semi's are reversed. (don't know if this matters, but it shows it different on my refrence sheet.)

I don't think so. The "upper" screw term on the sem is the indicator light contact (I have a ribbed one here on my desk now), as shown inthe diagram. The lower terminal (black/white and black/green) is the actuating conductor from the sem switch. I think the diagram is correct as shown here.

Quote:
Running light wire for Popes Nose connects to Middle Fuse. (not that this matters, it's just what it shows on my refrence sheet.)

You can see in the diag that the right two fuses are bridged at the top (running light circuit) so you are right, it really doesn't matter. SF: what reference do you ahve showing it on the middle fuse?

Quote:
The ground for the bulbs in the spedo pod do not share the same ground. Only the Oil and Gen lights share the ground. The rest are seperate.

Actually only the high beam indicator bulb is truly grounded (as shown the diag. The others (oil, gen and sem indicator) are tied "high" and switched on their ground side. The oil sender grounds the line if the pressure drops, completing the circuit. The regulator does the same, if the charging voltage is not held high. And the "pin" on the end of the plunger in teh sems grounds when the arm is up. So I think that pod "common" for 3 of the 4 indicators is correct. However it shows blue wires, and they are black.

Good work Spanish Flea, I think we can clean up this diag, and re-post it.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Spanish Flea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:

Actually it should be white/black. This is the main power feed from the headlight switch to the dimmer pedal and is part of the upper front harness. SF: if you ahve other references that show it as yellow/white, I'd be interested in them.

My bad, i ment to say White/Yellow.

I got my doc scaned in today, It's on it's way to you via email.

Thanks,

Spansih Flea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanish Flea wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

My bad, i ment to say White/Yellow.

I got my doc scaned in today, It's on it's way to you via email.

Thanks,

Spansih Flea

Its white/black. 12 gauge.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Suboval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suboval wrote:
I do see five areas that can be improved: d2, f1, u, u2 and n.

johnshenry wrote:

Quote:

Correct, it should be blue green.

Quote:

Quote:

Actually only the high beam indicator bulb is truly grounded (as shown the diag. The others (oil, gen and sem indicator) are tied "high" and switched on their ground side. The oil sender grounds the line if the pressure drops, completing the circuit. The regulator does the same, if the charging voltage is not held high. And the "pin" on the end of the plunger in teh sems grounds when the arm is up. So I think that pod "common" for 3 of the 4 indicators is correct. However it shows blue wires, and they are black.

Good work Spanish Flea, I think we can clean up this diag, and re-post it.

That takes care of u2, f1 and u. But not d2 (second fuse from the left) or n (second spark plug from the top, horizantol line was never "blackened").

The original black and white drawing was from John's Sept. 50 Service Manual.

Looking forward to seeing the completed drawing Jeff (Spanish Flee)!
Spanish Flea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
This what you started with??

This is what i've done so far.

Sorry for the "Sample" mark. I'm not finished with this, and I don't want the unfinished diagram to get out. But i do want to share what i'm doing. If you have any input, please let me know. I will be talking to John H. and a few others. When we all can agree on a final doc, I will post it.

I looked at the preview, and it looks like the board resized it. if you click on the pix it will show you the full size, the resize looks bad.

Spanish Flea
Suboval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff - Would it be possible to increase the font size for the numbers? Also, it looks like t1 and t4 are swapped. Nice job on the e (turn signal switch)!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the designation letters are hard to read. I would white them out and put them back with the photo editor.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Spanish Flea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suboval
Quote:
Jeff - Would it be possible to increase the font size for the numbers? Also, it looks like t1 and t4 are swapped. Nice job on the e (turn signal switch)!

Thanks. I that that refrence diagram scanned in, PM me your email.

johnshenrey
Quote:
Yes the designation letters are hard to read. I would white them out and put them back with the photo editor.

Yeah, part of the finishing i need to do. All the numbers will be put in, along with Letters and also the size of the wire. I will also redo the Code Sheet, which will include all the color, wire size and such. I want this to be "The Uber Diagram".

Spanish Flea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in miind the original specs for wire gauge were cross sectional area (sq mm). These values do not directly "line up" with our American Wire Gauge (AWG) standards.

For the harnesses I reproduce, I "round up" the metric spec to the nearest (even) AWG gauge number. Below is the mapping, not that for some common mm^2 values there is no corresponding AWG number:

AWG........mm^2

Also, while I am posting, the battery cable was supplied by VW in both red and black...

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: