Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Let's see those pinstriped busses!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Convoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's see those pinstriped busses! Reply with quote

Just came across these repopped vinyl dealer stripes in my search. Found them over on the LateBay forum.
https://www.madmatz.co.uk/vehicle-graphics.html
Great it’s a legit place and they have a few classic stripes though they are all the way across the drink?!
Convoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's see those pinstriped busses! Reply with quote

Just came across these repopped vinyl dealer stripes in my search. Found them over on the LateBay forum.
https://www.madmatz.co.uk/vehicle-graphics.html
Great it’s a legit place and they have a few classic stripes though they are all the way across the drink?!
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ive always loved good 70's style pinstriping, and some 80's flavors as well.

if we could only get a kit that did some of these designs, we'd be set.

Dang, that is beautiful. It appears that something similar could be put together from that UK site that was just posted. (Looks like they have some other neat Bus products available, as well.)

I think it would be fun to get a kit to dress up my '78 a little bit.

A Westerner was posted before, but here's a pic of mine:

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slammedresto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Let's see those pinstriped busses! Reply with quote

Are most of the stripes vinyl or Are they painted on?? Want to get my westy done. But unsure if I should go vinyl or get them painted on

F1 and Motorsport memorabilia
www.finallap.net

Click to view image
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Let's see those pinstriped busses! Reply with quote

slammedresto wrote:
Are most of the stripes vinyl or Are they painted on?? Want to get my westy done. But unsure if I should go vinyl or get them painted on

Many of them were dealer applied vinyl but finding a NOS specific stripe kit in a specific color is going to be very rough. Used to be in some cases you could walk into PepBoys and they had a whole wall of stripe kits where DIY could do something. Those were vinyl that laid on.

Custom painted PIN stripes were hand done over the existing paint. To have them done really right requires painting them before the whole car is painted so they are under the clear coat. That would be rare on a bus.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's see those pinstriped busses! Reply with quote

Could be either, most were vinyl, but some dealers or used car lots had access to a local sign painter who worked cheaper than the vinyl kits, I've seen both.
The early stripe kit vinyl was different than the generic sign stuff on a roll as well, most had a faint "grain" like a fabric and the colors were screened onto it.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's see those pinstriped busses! Reply with quote

I’ve actually been working on making stripe kits for bugs. I have Formula Vee and generic stripes pretty much ready. Bus would be harder but might be able to do it. I’ll have to work on the bus ones if you guys are interested.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Convoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's see those pinstriped busses! Reply with quote

CT interested for a late Bay
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's see those pinstriped busses! Reply with quote

Convoy wrote:
CT interested for a late Bay
Cool, does anybody know how wide the stripes are for a bus? The ones I've designed for a bug are based on originals and they're about 3.6" wide.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's see those pinstriped busses! Reply with quote

And what kind of stripes? The ones I've designed for bugs are just very generic black 3 stripes. It looks like Bus stripes were silver and black which might be harder to do, but should still be doable.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's see those pinstriped busses! Reply with quote

Alright so I worked on the stripes. I've got the "Type 2" bit down along with the black stripes. I might be able to do the silver bit in the middle. Last thing I need is for someone to take measurements of how wide the stripes are. These are the stripes I'm talking about-
Stolen from BaxterGG. The cloudy bits would be left off on mine as they were clear on the OGs.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's see those pinstriped busses! Reply with quote

my suggestion is post a ballpark idea what you will retail them for before putting in the time ,and expense. I've seen folks here agree many times to "that's cool, I want one," until they see in dollars and cents what it will cost them - then all of a sudden there is no interest. Money is really tight for some folks here.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's see those pinstriped busses! Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
my suggestion is post a ballpark idea what you will retail them for before putting in the time ,and expense. I've seen folks here agree many times to "that's cool, I want one," until they see in dollars and cents what it will cost them - then all of a sudden there is no interest. Money is really tight for some folks here.
Well too late Laughing I finished the designs. I'll have to see how much they'll cost but I'm thinking in the $100 range. I'll see how much it'll actually be tomorrow hopefully. Here's some pictures of them-

Second one is mine over the originals in the '77 accessories brochure.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's see those pinstriped busses! Reply with quote

So the brochure was a little messed up so I fixed them using a picture-

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
kölner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Let's see those pinstriped busses! Reply with quote

my stripes:
78BusGA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Let's see those pinstriped busses! Reply with quote

That looks really nice! With the 2 tone paint, very cool!

Tom H.

My '74 Super 1303 thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=764902&start=60

My '78 Kombi Bus thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=769385&highlight=

'72 Superbeetle (retired), '78 Bus Kombi 2.0FI, '74 1303 Superbeetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kölner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Let's see those pinstriped busses! Reply with quote

thanks Cool
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Let's see those pinstriped busses! Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
SGKent wrote:
Well too late Laughing I finished the designs. I'll have to see how much they'll cost but I'm thinking in the $100 range. I'll see how much it'll actually be tomorrow hopefully. Here's some pictures of them-

I have allways loved the type 2 stripe. I would be SO in for 100 bucks
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Let's see those pinstriped busses! Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
67ctbug wrote:
SGKent wrote:

I have allways loved the type 2 stripe. I would be SO in for 100 bucks

x3
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Let's see those pinstriped busses! Reply with quote

Im in. And nice lowered camper there kölner! Love the colors. Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: