Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rally bug
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: rally bug Reply with quote

Quote:
Am I missing something?

the fact that you necroposted a 12 year old thread

look up Class 11, it may be what you want.

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
DonM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: rally bug Reply with quote

Sorry if I did something wrong.
I don't spend much time on forums and they all say look it up before posting so I tacked onto an existing thread.
I'll look up class 11
The question remains the same....
Would a BJ/swingarm suspension that is tied into a strong chassis perform OK in a fire road car?
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: rally bug Reply with quote

swing arm cars essentially roll on the outside edge of the tire. they get twitchy at not especially high speeds, and have a higher chance of needing a roll bar.

Quote:
I don't spend much time on forums and they all say look it up before posting so I tacked onto an existing thread.

half the posters will tell you to use the search function and half will tell you to not dig up dead threads

comparing: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7539302 to a Class 11, I prefer the class 11

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: rally bug Reply with quote

DonM, I think the idea is pretty cool. But I grew up in a home with lots of rally trophies on the shelves.

Back in the late 60s and early 70s, there was off-road racing held on a 1 mile course in the dirt oval track at Ascot Speedway in SoCal. They raced 2 classes, one for Bugs, and one for tube-frame buggies. It was called "Sprint Sedan" or "Sprint Buggy". The buggy class provided the name for my old desert race buggy "Hi Jumper Ascot". That frame was one of the most successful and popular frames, used by Champions including Rick and Roger Mears.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My brother's father-in-law, Ernie, "Elmer" Waring (aka Santa Claus) was Chief of Tech for the organization. He was also Chief of Tech for NORRA for the Baja races.

Sprint Bug cars had most of the stock body, some cut to the rear firewall. Radiused stock steel fenders, roll cages single fiberglass seat. Swing axle mostly, like desert offroad racers were at the time. Some ball joint front, mostly link pin. The course had bulldozer jumps and some whoops with left and right turns + used about 1/2 of the 1/2 mile oval that sprint cars used on other nights.

In the early 80s, there was a Bug that I used to often see while commuting across LA in the 405 Freeway "Parking Lot". It had a bug-eye Baja kit with Baja bumper cages. But it was lowered with low profile wide tires. I always liked that Baja, even though I was racing desert with my buggy and had a Baja of my own plus my dad's Baja (now my '58 Baja seen elsewhere on here) that I often used.

But back in the early 70s, that same '58 Baja was my nearly all stock DD, with it's original 36hp engine and stock suspension and body. I drove a great many miles of forest roads in the SoCal mountains with it, sport driving like special stages of gravel rallies. There was an SCCA Pro Rally called "The Rim Of The World" that used a lot of the same roads I played on. Keeping the exhaust from dragging was probably the biggest problem I had with it. For full body, building it like a Class 11 with skidplates would help that a lot.

For tires with a low ride height, some 60-series profile tires like a 215-225 front and a 235-255 rear would be good. I wouldn't recommend going lower profile than that on dirt. For pavement, as low as you want.

Class 11 Fox or King shocks would take all that forest trails could throw at you and would mount on the stock mounts. Even KYB Gas-A-Just shocks would do quite well. A beefier front sway bar, and if swingaxle, an EMPI Camber-Compensator would make for good handling. Since ball joint front ends are used to good effect on Class 11 Bugs and Class 9 race buggies for desert offroad races with all the big whoops and other bumps that Trophy Trucks have already gone over and made bigger, I see no problem using a ball joint for a forest rally Bug.

Hell, if the bumps on your forest roads aren't too bad, even a ( Shocked OMG!!!! Shocked ) Super Beetle would work. Cool

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7539302

That link used in the 12 year old early part of this thread about Rally Bugs is still working.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andygrow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: rally bug Reply with quote

Link
L5wolvesf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: rally bug Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
DonM, I think the idea is pretty cool. But I grew up in a home with lots of rally trophies on the shelves.

Back in the late 60s and early 70s, there was off-road racing held on a 1 mile course in the dirt oval track at Ascot Speedway in SoCal. They raced 2 classes, one for Bugs, and one for tube-frame buggies. It was called "Sprint Sedan" or "Sprint Buggy". The buggy class provided the name for my old desert race buggy "Hi Jumper Ascot". That frame was one of the most successful and popular frames, used by Champions including Rick and Roger Mears.

My brother's father-in-law, Ernie, "Elmer" Waring (aka Santa Claus) was Chief of Tech for the organization. He was also Chief of Tech for NORRA for the Baja races.

Sprint Bug cars had most of the stock body, some cut to the rear firewall. Radiused stock steel fenders, roll cages single fiberglass seat. Swing axle mostly, like desert offroad racers were at the time. Some ball joint front, mostly link pin. The course had bulldozer jumps and some whoops with left and right turns + used about 1/2 of the 1/2 mile oval that sprint cars used on other nights.

In the early 80s, there was a Bug that I used to often see while commuting across LA in the 405 Freeway "Parking Lot". It had a bug-eye Baja kit with Baja bumper cages. But it was lowered with low profile wide tires. I always liked that Baja, even though I was racing desert with my buggy and had a Baja of my own plus my dad's Baja (now my '58 Baja seen elsewhere on here) that I often used.

But back in the early 70s, that same '58 Baja was my nearly all stock DD, with it's original 36hp engine and stock suspension and body. I drove a great many miles of forest roads in the SoCal mountains with it, sport driving like special stages of gravel rallies. There was an SCCA Pro Rally called "The Rim Of The World" that used a lot of the same roads I played on. Keeping the exhaust from dragging was probably the biggest problem I had with it. For full body, building it like a Class 11 with skidplates would help that a lot.

For tires with a low ride height, some 60-series profile tires like a 215-225 front and a 235-255 rear would be good. I wouldn't recommend going lower profile than that on dirt. For pavement, as low as you want.

Class 11 Fox or King shocks would take all that forest trails could throw at you and would mount on the stock mounts. Even KYB Gas-A-Just shocks would do quite well. A beefier front sway bar, and if swingaxle, an EMPI Camber-Compensator would make for good handling. Since ball joint front ends are used to good effect on Class 11 Bugs and Class 9 race buggies for desert offroad races with all the big whoops and other bumps that Trophy Trucks have already gone over and made bigger, I see no problem using a ball joint for a forest rally Bug.

Hell, if the bumps on your forest roads aren't too bad, even a ( Shocked OMG!!!! Shocked ) Super Beetle would work. Cool

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7539302

That link used in the 12 year old early part of this thread about Rally Bugs is still working.

The Program cover from Ascot May 1981 - I saw the VWs run that night.

A couple pics inside too

I would love to run a rally with my Class 11 just for fun. Would need to at least do different tires and lower it some.

I also think it would be kinda cool to get together enough Class 11 cars to do Pikes Peak.

SNORE # 1196 sponsored by:
- www.356carburetorrescue.com/home.html
- Barnwerks Fabrication & Welding
- ArtSpeed Graphics

“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.”
S. McQueen
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: rally bug Reply with quote

L5wolvesf wrote:

I would love to run a rally with my Class 11 just for fun. Would need to at least do different tires and lower it some.

I also think it would be kinda cool to get together enough Class 11 cars to do Pikes Peak.

Look into your local SCCA chapter for "rallycross" events, for $45-$60 you can compete against the clock against other drivers in some farmer's field for a days worth of fun.

Here’s an event from Arizona...

Link

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: rally bug Reply with quote

I think an 11 car, COULD make a GOOD rallye car.... Cool

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: rally bug Reply with quote

That's where I plan to use my class 11-ish Ghia.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
L5wolvesf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: rally bug Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Look into your local SCCA chapter for "rallycross" events, for $45-$60 you can compete against the clock against other drivers in some farmer's field for a days worth of fun.

I'm familiar with SCCA's programs, I autox'd and raced with them for a lot of money . . . I mean years. The closest RallyX is, or was, Tucson - 200 miles 1 way. It's at the same area where the paved oval is and the haul there and back for the night was kinda tough so I stopped running Tucson. Otherwise I would give RallyX a shot in the C11.

But practically in my backyard is the Prescott Rally and that is one I'd like to try.

TDCTDI wrote:
That's where I plan to use my class 11-ish Ghia.

Nice project, that ought to be fun for RallyX.

mr_bill wrote:
I think an 11 car, COULD make a GOOD rallye car.... Cool

With some work I would at least be fun - not sure how competitive a Class 11 would be against purpose built rally cars though.

SNORE # 1196 sponsored by:
- www.356carburetorrescue.com/home.html
- Barnwerks Fabrication & Welding
- ArtSpeed Graphics

“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.”
S. McQueen
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: