Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bay window VS. Vanagon
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lunabus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Bay window VS. Vanagon Reply with quote

I have never owned a bus but always have wanted to.... I am finally going to jump in and have begun looking. I have gone back and forth between a weekender vanagon or (pre smog) early 70's bay window pop top.

I think everyone in this section of the forum will agree that the Bay Window is more beautiful... Although I am begining to see some charm in the vanagons styling.

I would love to hear what others have to say....

Why did you choose one over the other?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
blitzkrieg59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a salt belt resident who needed a daily driver year round I kind of regret the purchase of my 77 Westy. I LOVE the bus, don't get me wrong, but I feel terrible for driving it in the salt and whatnot. I wish that I would have gone with a waterboxer Vanagon just because I wouldn't feel so terrible each time I took it out into the muck. It looks like you are in LA though, so pick up a baywindow. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
panasonic90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could try to find all sort of ration reasons why i did buy my bay, but at the end it was basically a matter of charm. Sorry if it doesn't help.
74 bay ambulance
type 4 2lt carbs engine
steponmebbbboom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is more important to you.

the vanagon is more civilised and refined, yes, but it is a cultural orphan.
NUKETROOP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasserboxer engines have more stuff to break and are more complex/expensive.

I have total confidence that I could fix just about anything in my 77 westy on the side of the road.

Vanagons look silly to me

Split windows are driven by hippies.

The bay was a good choice for me

Go with what you like!
Duncwarw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never even driven a vanagon but I do like the "furniture" and some of the features. That's why I have a bay with a vanagon kitchen.

You could get an aircooled Vanagon by the way.

I kinda like the way they look but I wouldn't trade my '73 for any other vehicle. It's not just all the work and money I have in it, I'm just too attached to it to consider another vehicle, even another bay.

"Stepp's" right, the Vanagon doesn't seem to enjoy the same charm as the bay. Bays are rare here and wherever I go people smile, wave, sometimes give the peace sign and EVERBODY seems to have fond memories attached to the splits and bays. Vanagons came along too late to have any real cultural impact.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
gator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have my '80 westy and my '77 transporter tagged, but i usually end up driving the bay, even though the westy has a killer stereo and a bed in the back (i like to sneak off and nap). just seems easier to manage, especially the steering. the bay steering gearbox is sooo smoothe in comparison to a manual rack vanagon. i've only once driven a wasserbox vanagon, just a window van, '84 i think, but i didn't much care for it.

can't say i don't love my vanagon, though. it's the only one of my busses that i will not even consider selling. just emotional attachment i suppose.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually really like the look of the later Vanagons, with the rectangular headlights. I've always like boxy cars, like the late 60's Volvo wagons, the Vanagon, etc.

Of course, they do not compare AT ALL with the looks and appeal of the Bay. Smile
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was introduced to Vw busses by a friend's father. We traveled and camped in a vanagon and VW busses have been in my blood ever since. BUT, I don't do vanagons anymore, because of the wasserboxer. Why?

Head gaskets: take a look at the cost of a head gasket repair (usually includes a new head because of pitting issues due to coolant geting stuck under the lame gasket). Usually around $2000 at least. The bottom ends are generally strong, though the 1.9's are way stronger than the 2.1s.

FI: vanagon FI is a little touchy. Research the vanagon syndrome on vanagon.com for some idieas. There is a make it yourself "digitool" that is supposed to help with the problems.

Hoses- what a nightmare. There are like 30 or more of them. Many are NLA. Total cost for hose packages are now available for $500-600. It used to be much more.

Coolant tube- the metal ones rust out if you live in the salt belt. Metal ones are NLA. The plastic one gets brittle and cracks. Very expensive to replace, but I don't know the price. (See busdepot.com)

Heaters and fans- expensive and fail often. The heater cores leaks often for some reason. Check very closely for leaks around the back heater. If you smell that sweet coolant smell, it's time for a new one.

Sliding door handle- I don't know why but these things snap off constantly. The repair parts are just as crappy as the original.

Traction- vanagons have a much better front to rear weight ratio resulting in much better handling for the vanagon, but much less traction in the snow or mud.

The plusses are many though. Don't get me wrong. The vanagon is a vehicle from the 80s. A bus is more like a vehicle from the 40s or 50s as far as maintenance. (Fords had self adjusting rear brakes and oil filters in the 50s.) Vanagon has better heat and AC. Can even be had with cruise and power windows. It's just nice.

However, there is a reason the wasserboxer was quickly jettisoned. That engine is about the level of a high school shop project with the add on water jacket and dozens off hoses. If they had come with an engine more like a subie boxer, I'm sure the vanagon era wouldn't have been the beginning of the end for VW transporters.

I still occasionally flirt with the idea of getting vanagon and putting a Golf/Jetta or Subie engine in it. I just don't have the confidence in my electrical and FI abilities to take on the job.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
Lunabus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great responces!!!

I always thought people argued in favor of liquid cooled motors, it is interesting to hear people here favor the bay window motor set up/options...

I have seen so many after market motor upgrades, really pro built stuff...

Single port / dual port, more horse power, etc...

How do you feel about this sort of upgrade for a bay?
lowdowndub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Syncro Westy Vanagon but they are incredibly expensive.

I can't even imagine what I could do to my bay for $20,000 or $30,000 Shocked

Anybody have any idea why they're so expensive.

- Ben
Tylinol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdowndub wrote:
I love the Syncro Westy Vanagon but they are incredibly expensive.

I can't even imagine what I could do to my bay for $20,000 or $30,000 Shocked

Anybody have any idea why they're so expensive.

- Ben

1. They're rare

2. They're awesome Laughing

72 Fiat 850 Spider - Finally alive and...oh wait, never mind...wait there it goes!...whoops, false alarm...oh - wait wait...nope, nothing.
M_atthewanderson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was indifferent to the two when I got my 1980 air cooled vanagon. I actually didn’t even know vanagons were ever air cooled when I went to look at mine around three years ago. I purchased the vanagon because it was a different. Something about it being wider and those simple geometric shapes got me. There are a lot of bays but not a whole lot of air cooled vanagons. I have gotten a little frustrated with the lack of after market but have learned to look in the right places. It has been interesting fixing all the little quarks of a 26 year old vanagon but you get that with every old car that has been neglected.

The aircooled vanagon engine can take a lot of the Hp upgrades a 78 79 bay can take
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattography wrote:
The aircooled vanagon engine can take a lot of the Hp upgrades a 78 79 bay can take

I don't doubt you like your vanagon. If I were buying another, an aircooled or diesel would be my choice. But an aircooled vanagon is slower than a late loaf bus due to the extra weight of the vanagon. Not to mention the higher rear deck height on a bus means you have more intake options (dual carbs etc.)
Just wondering, what kind of HP upgrades you think a vanagon can take but a late bus cannot?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see Little Miss Sunshine? There's a reason they didn't chose a Vanagon for the bus lead......sure they would have driven straight thru to LA, but that's not the point.

It's all about the journey my friend, not the destination!

We took my '73 (white over orange) to the LMS premier in Missoula, MT. They saved us a space right in front of the 1900's era theatre. After the movie, as we drove away, the crowd of mostly younger girls went NUTS as I played the horn like a trumpet. (I didn't make my girlfriend push start it) My girl later said the feeling was equal to jumping in a stretch Lincoln after leaving a Broadway play!

Heads turn for a nice Bay. No one cares for that square looking stepchild!

peace

p.s. did you post this in that other forum (Vanagon) ?
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We rented a Vanagon Westy on vacation recently, and I was very pleased with many of its attributes. It is, for the most part, a worthy update to the bus concept. The ride and handling are great, it was actually fun to toss around the winding mountain roads. That little bit of extra room inside was also nice when camping.

Where they blew it, as mentioned above, was the engine. With all the extra weight from meeting the crash protection regulations, etc., the thing was grossly underpowered. That's why I jump in when people come here asking about putting water cooled engines in their bays; instead of turning a bay into something it's not, just put a modern engine in a water cooled Vanagon and you'll have a complete, technically superior package with hot water heat and all the trimmings. The air cooled engine is fine for a bay, and is a big part of its charm.
WestyPop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A SoCal consideration... you can stick any engine you want in a '74('75 ?) or earlier Bay bus without fear that future inspection requirements from the SMOG Check gods will rain on your parade(please make it clean ... we all breathe air).

All the Vanagons are now (and forever, if the special commercial interest lobbyists in Sacramento continue to get their wishes) subject to SMOG Checks every 2 years. Even if you can build a cleaner, more economical engine for a Vanagon, you are technically prevented from running it on the road, if it can't pass the inspection, including the 'visual' portion as a 'stock' engine/exhaust/intake. Yeah, there are some "ways around", but they're usually expensive, of temporary availability, and... don't get caught! (full electric conversions excepted!)

Personally, looking at projected future conditions & restrictions has significant implications relative to many of my current choices of vehicles, home considerations & lifestyle.

OTOH that may not be of much importance to lots of folks.

J.R.
68 Westy
(+ others)
IFBwax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray.. great post. Nice list of reasons. A lot I'd never heard before or considered. I've been researching Vanagons a bit lately since my parents in law are interested in getting one. I drove one a few months ago and it was really nice. Seemed so much bigger than the bays even though they're not much bigger. And their looks are growing on me. I really like those Synchros.. but they're expensive too.

I love my buses and can't imagine replacing them with a Vanagon.. but.. if I were to have a THIRD.. maybe.

Smile

www.partypickle.blogspot.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemobuscaptain wrote:

But an aircooled vanagon is slower than a late loaf bus due to the extra weight of the vanagon.

The GVWR of the air-cooled Vanagon is only 110 lbs more than a '79 bay.
The superior aerodynamics of the Vanagon improve its highway performance over the bay at speed.
Colin
(heya Cool )
BryanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys sound like Split owners trashing bays! I've seen some of you getting your panties in a bunch at the mention of that conversation. Hippo-crates!

Oh yea, Get a bay over the Van-a-gone, an early bay, 68-70, they are much nicer than junky type 4 busses. Very Happy

Motorwagen LLC
Concord NC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: