Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 86, 87, 88  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

lonotch wrote:
I would love to see them get that price.

Me too.
It's a looong time since I read so much hype in a single ad, it's quite annoying really because anyone can see the wheel outer rims aren't correct. The flowery description doesn't make car any better...it should stand or fall on the appearance and a close inspection. For $65k I'd want to send Scott Doonan with a magnifying glass to check it out for me (again) and then ask for a $25k reduction in price. Laughing
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
For $65k I'd want to send Scott Doonan with a magnifying glass to check it out for me (again)....

For $65k I'd fancy the one Scott is doing because it'd be perfect.

Nicholas
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
For $65k I'd want to send Scott Doonan with a magnifying glass to check it out for me (again)....

For $65k I'd fancy the one Scott is doing because it'd be perfect.

Nicholas

I'm no expert, so I'm curious what incorrect things you guys see aside from the lack of rubber mats, trim rings. Is the interior color scheme correct?
From what I've seen there are so few lowlights done right that the bar is pretty low and this one looks better than most I've seen posted. Getting a car to that level is a costly proposition.
Thoughts?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
...Getting a car to that level is a costly proposition.
Thoughts?

Yes if that's the case he spent too much doing it. These are the correct door card design for a '58...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

The dash is not correct for 58. Look at the vent control knobs, they are the 56-early 57 style. It should have the paddle knobs not the turn knobs. I wonder if they replaced the dash, just the vent control areas or if the whole body is 56-57??? They did put the correct dash knobs on, though they forgot the correct shifter knob (I wonder if it has the correct heater knob??). For that kind of coin I would look that car over with a find tooth comb.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

Loren wrote:
The dash is not correct for 58. Look at the vent control knobs, they are the 56-early 57 style. It should have the paddle knobs not the turn knobs. I wonder if they replaced the dash, just the vent control areas or if the whole body is 56-57??? They did put the correct dash knobs on, though they forgot the correct shifter knob (I wonder if it has the correct heater knob??). For that kind of coin I would look that car over with a find tooth comb.

That car is a real hotchpotch as you say Loren...not correct for either a '56-'57 or a '58 so the description is all the more bizarre.

Last edited by John Moxon on Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

I imagine they back dated the door panels and flooring because it is easier to make than the later stuff. A good least they didn't stick TMI mid 60s panels in it like most people do.
But yeah, for that price that car should be 100 percent correct and have something other than a bone stock 36hp, like a real Okrasa kit or Judson.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

You gotta wonder if it's not a 56 on a later pan? Who would go through the hassle of grafting those early style fresh air knob assemblies in?
Also, don't the tailight bezels look like early style vs 58?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

For that price I would expect it to have the right sun visors, metal horn cover for the horn ring, correct heater knob... especially when the ad states that the builder was a stickler for details. The dash vent knobs detail is a BIG red flag.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swanlakers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

Aside from the euro color rear signals, the front signals are early 60’s. As noted by others, the car is pretty, but wrong. It really can’t decide what year it is. I also noticed that no trunk pictures are shown. Regarding the dash, looks like early metal to me. The sellers website has more pictures and the dash “corners” are early. And the incorrect shift knob

Last edited by swanlakers on Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

While there are obviously a few stand-out individual forum members here who possess a tremendous amount of knowledge regarding the "History of The Karmann Ghia" and what specific details are correct for which time period, the collective knowledge of the Ghia Forum members here as a whole never fails to impress the shit out of me when it comes to evaluating the actual level of "correctness" for any given individual Ghia.

It's a sort of a "live action WIKI" that ferrets out the smallest of incorrect details, and it leaves me wondering if the old saying "Caveat Emptor" (or essentially "let the buyer beware") isn't being turned on its head.
Anyone trying to pass off a Karmann Ghia as something it's not around here will soon find it's "Caveat Venditor" (or essentially "let the seller beware") - any trickery or deceit will be exposed.

I think what I'm actually saying here is that "You can fool some of the buyers some of the time, but you can't fool the Karmann Ghia Forum collective ever.".

Very Happy
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

The front turn signals are correct for a 56-58 Ghia, though I noticed the front seats are 60's low backs and not the correct seats for a 58 Ghia.
swanlakers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

Loren is correct, they are 56-58 signals. I mistook them for 64 and later signals
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

Why in the earth would you replace a shitty front clip with another shitty front clip?
This car needs all sorts of metal love, way overpriced.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2334933

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

No pics of that professional welding work either.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

I dont like it when people write long run on sentences without periods or commas because its akward to read and hard to understand when one idea ends and another begins so the ad is hard to understand like a crazy persons rambling on and on just nonsensical some people have no idea how to communicate properly so their ads do not describe their junk accurately that is worth nowhere near what they think it is Laughing
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

volksaddict wrote:
I dont like it when people write long run on sentences without periods or commas because its akward to read and hard to understand when one idea ends and another begins so the ad is hard to understand like a crazy persons rambling on and on just nonsensical some people have no idea how to communicate properly so their ads do not describe their junk accurately that is worth nowhere near what they think it is Laughing

WYOT M8 Wink
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Why in the earth would you replace a shitty front clip with another shitty front clip?

"Solid has rust solid has rust solid has rust...."

Well? Which is it? It can't be both?!
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

blue72beetle wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

"Solid has rust solid has rust solid has rust...."

Well? Which is it? It can't be both?!

Sure it can - just like with headliners, there's two different styles of rust commonly found on Ghias.
Some have the solid kind of rust, while others have the perforated style of rust.

Karmann Ghias with the solid kind of rust can fetch higher prices because they don't require new paint.
Just call it a "patina" or "survivor" car, and you can raise the asking price accoringly..
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

No comment on price, more the description. Anyone else?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2344242
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 86, 87, 88  Next
Jump to:
Page 59 of 88

Jump to: