Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 86, 87, 88  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

When I start building the motor myself, the price will go up.
How should we price irreplaceable?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2152608

'75 Bus https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697183&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tims57LL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

I’m not sure if you have a car for sale, but my question was about all the ads posted which, to me, indicates that sellers are actually looking for buyers, and have decided to part with their cars, even if they are irreplaceable.
I’m not questioning the scarcity or authenticity of the cars, only the reason sellers don’t seem to be interested in offering vehicles for a lowered price if they are serious about selling.
Thanks for your reply.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

Its common to be "proud" of your offering, and over price. If a seller were to peruse the classifieds to determine his price he may not take the time to note (like you did) his comparable for sale ads have been sitting for months at the asking price. The motivated sellers will eventually get to the right price. The not so motivated sellers dont ... they keep the circle of over-pricing going tho.
If you like an over-priced car, make a reasonable offer. Sometimes its the only way to separate the sellers and the guys who wont.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
tims57LL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

c21darrel
Thanks for your reply. I take your point both about sellers being proud of their offerings, and the possibility of them being amenable to $ negotiation. You could also point out that buyers should step up and make inquiries if they have a serious interest in a car to find out the sellers’s willingness to negotiate.
Volswagon: I see now your the link to your current ad. This seems to be an example of a truthful evaluation of the car and a fair price for what you are selling. Good luck! I sure you’ll find a willing buyer.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

This is something I tell people when they ask - Look at the other cars for sale but keep in mind that anyone who has a car that's been for sale for a while is probably overpriced.

I can't speak to Ghias specifically but a lot of cars on here move QUICK as long as they are priced fairly. I don't mean they have to be cheap. Under a week and sometimes even the same day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

I remember a low light add that was on here for about 7 years. It was priced really high when it was first posted, but after 7 years prices came up to what he was asking and he sold it. Maybe that is the strategy some people use?
tims57LL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

Perhaps that is a good strategy. Imagine vintage Ghias as if they were real estate investments, and wait it out.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

Loren wrote:
I remember a low light add that was on here for about 7 years. It was priced really high when it was first posted, but after 7 years prices came up to what he was asking and he sold it. Maybe that is the strategy some people use?

Here...this is 11 years ago...look at the discussion on the price of the Lowlight I bought about a month later for the asking price of $9k...most if not all who viewed it thought $9k was too much. I gladly paid the asking price: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=236498
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neetdavid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

Greetings ~ Rookie poster.....

I am looking for T-Bars for my 1972 Ghia ~ I can find T-Bars for every other VW, but not for a 1972.

Any help would be great.

v/r
Dave

1972 Ghia Coupe (my first VW)
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

neetdavid wrote:
I am looking for T-Bars for my 1972 Ghia ~ I can find T-Bars for every other VW, but not for a 1972.
I'm debating with myself whether or not you might have posted on this thread intentionally, as I imagine t-bars for a '72 Ghia might be expensive if you could find them. Do you think any of the t-bars that are listed in the classified ads here could be adapted?
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

T Bars? Towel rail bars for bumpers? Confused
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

tims57LL wrote:
Perhaps that is a good strategy. Imagine vintage Ghias as if they were real estate investments, and wait it out.

Precious metals BUMP. Bumpers are her friend, and yours.

'75 Bus https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697183&highlight=
trelms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

Can we get back on topic?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2156181

He wants 40k!!!
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

If it is true, find another with that kind of mileage? ... if it was a lowlight with 4000 miles it would have sold already. Price doesn't seem unreasonable for any ghia if it genuinely has 4000 miles on the clock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

otahuhu wrote:
If it is true, find another with that kind of mileage? ... if it was a lowlight with 4000 miles it would have sold already. Price doesn't seem unreasonable for any ghia if it genuinely has 4000 miles on the clock.

I find these low mileage cars a real oddity in the classic car world...the more you drive them, the less they're worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
otahuhu wrote:

I find these low mileage cars a real oddity in the classic car world...the more you drive them, the less they're worth.

Me too. They are nice to see but it would be no fun to own one.
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

SOOOOO, $40K is too much for a paperweight? I think your standards are too high Shocked

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

Evil_Fiz wrote:
SOOOOO, $40K is too much for a paperweight? I think your standards are too high Shocked

If only he was asking $40k...he wants offers OVER $40k. Laughing
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Evil_Fiz wrote:

If only he was asking $40k...he wants offers OVER $40k. Laughing

Smile Personally, I prefer to think that it's much more like a work of fine art rather than simply some mere overly expensive paperweight.

Could you use one of Picasso's original small scale concept models he created when developing one of his large scale sculptures as a paperweight?
Sure, you could ... but just like using $100 bills for toilet paper, it would be a sinful waste. Laughing

The unfortunate reality of those über-low original mileage cars is that any extra value thay may have over and above another super clean example with many more miles will slowly diminish with each and every additional mile that is added to the odometer.
This fact typically means that they will most likely be relegated to becoming just another display piece in some museum's collection.

As I see it, there are actually several different levels of "low original mileage" vehicles.
The most valuable level would be an NOS vehicle that has never been sold/titled/licensed, but rather had been held onto by an automobile dealer to be displayed in their showroom.

Next are the cars that had been sold to one person, and for whatever reason that original owner just never ended up driving it very much at all.

Then there are those cars that, even though they may have been owned by several different people over many different decades, their accumulated original mileage is still well below the average for a vehicle of that age,

The current owner of this Ghia in question seems to me to be asking the top "NOS" price, but I'm not convinced that the car actually meets all of those requirements expected for such a vehicle.

In particular, ...
The Seller wrote:
Please note the mileage is under 4000 original miles. I will gather my photos from when I purchased it, as well as the original for sale ad. Photos were taken at the time of purchase showing the original mileage. The discrepancy is from North Hollywood Speedo being off task, when they were to only create the tach and match the bezels.

That appears to be a Very unfortunate mistake or miscommunication by someone, and I think that regardless of whether or not the story behind the mileage discrepancy is true it still dimishes the Ghia's value.
Just how much of a hit the potential value will take because a checkmark must now henceforth be placed in the "The mileage indicated on the odometer Does Not accurately reflect the vehicle's actual mileage." box on the vehicle's title I don't really know, and I'd guess ultimately that will be up to potntial buyers to determine.

All in all, it is a pretty freakin' awesome über-low original mileage Karmann Ghia in a very iconic period color scheme, and I'd certainly love to own it.
... if someone gave it to me or I bought it at a much lower price, because I'd be compelled to drive the heck out of it. Very Happy
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

Those bumpers and taillights though...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 86, 87, 88  Next
Jump to:
Page 46 of 88

Jump to: