Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fact or Fiction?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rowroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:58 am    Post subject: Fact or Fiction? Reply with quote

I was cleaning out a closet and came across an old VW parts catalog from the early '90's. This particular catalog is peppered with little tidbits of information and trivia.

One such tidbit stated that ACVW engines can last 200,000 miles if speeds are kept BELOW 60 MPH. If the majority of your driving is ABOVE 60 MPH, then the life of your engine is limited to about 60,000 miles.

I Realize this is a very vague blanket statement with no actual data to back it up, but I wonder if there is a sliver of truth to it.

What do you think?
LedFloyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I go 59 on my way home instead of my usual 61 my engines going to last me 140,000 miles longer? Very Happy

It doesn't seem plausible. (to me)
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's more myth than fiction. There is some truth to it but, I'd be more concerned with RPM's than with actual speeds. True, the RPMs will be lower if you don't go over 60, but if you are running it hard at speeds below that then you'll still have wear. All that comes down to is the uncounterweighted and not-very-well-balanced nature of the stock engine. High RPMs pound out the engine block after a lot of miles, then you lose oil pressure, then things like rods get thrown. But 200K? I think that's a stretch, if you really drove it gently, perhaps, but I don't think the rings would last that long on most engines. I tend to drive my bugs pretty hard. I got a little over 90K out of one of my big-bore 40HP's (broken ring) and 99K out of a 1641DP in my baja (almost threw a rod), both of them driven a lot on the highway as fast as they'd go.

I will say this, we had a customer that had I think about 150K on his 71 Super, it had been in his family since it was new, and he had the engine replaced because of the high milage. But it still ran fairly well, compression wasn't the greatest, I think it used a bit of oil and the endplay was loose, but I've seen much worse engines out there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

remember it takes more power to go a little faster. When your speed doubles, your air resistence quadruples, this is why you can't just keep adding gears to your transmission, to go 150mph.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if the cooling system is not fully operational the engine is going to run pretty hot at the higher speeds and maybe that's why it wears out faster. If everything is in place and working I don't see any reason high speeds would cause premature wear. The engines were designed to cruise all day at what, 65 mph?

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '79 had 191,000 miles on it when it had it's first rebuild. It still ran great, didn't use any oil to speak of, but compression was getting a bit low and the hills of San Francisco were getting a bit more difficult to climb. I was in the process of repainting it so I decided to pull the engine and have it rebuilt. I'm sure I could have easily gone another 40k without a problem [providing I kept it on level ground].

I drove it normally, 65-70 on the highway, whatever posted in the city. It's a stock convertible, so I never really raced it. Oil changes every 3k, and a pint of injector cleaner every other oil change.

-jeffrey
sammyphsyco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On socal freeways at less than 60 mph your bug will live maybe 20 miles befor you get run over Twisted Evil .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PierreDeKat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may be some truth to it. One thing others didn't mention was fan "cavitation".

Basically, when a pump -- or fan, in this case -- is trying to suck through a restriction, it creates a vacuumous area of very low pressure.

There's kind of a curve there where the fan becomes less and less efficient to the point where it could theoretically pump almost nothing.

Now I can't remember at what RPMs, exactly, a VW fan reaches cavitation, but supposedly that's the reason the racers use a "power pulley" deal to lower the RPMs of the fan to the point where it actually sucks more.

Something like that, anyway.

But yeah, I would guess at around 60 mph, engine temps start going up as the fan becomes less and less efficient.
mnussbau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammyphsyco wrote:
On socal freeways at less than 60 mph your bug will live maybe 20 miles befor you get run over Twisted Evil .

LMHO!! And all this time I thought the roads were so jammed you couldn't go over 20!
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PierreDeKat wrote:
There may be some truth to it. One thing others didn't mention was fan "cavitation".
Now I can't remember at what RPMs, exactly, a VW fan reaches cavitation, but supposedly that's the reason the racers use a "power pulley" deal to lower the RPMs of the fan to the point where it actually sucks more.

There is no such thing as cavitation with a fan that pushes air. Cavitation is an effect that can occur only when a fan is pushing a liquid. On the upstream side of the fan blades, sometimes the pressure drops so low that the liquid evaporates into a gas. When that vapour condenses back into a liquid, it causes a very small localized implosion that will damage the fan blades. That is cavitation. A common occurance is a boat's propeller. When it is cavitating, increasing the rpms only causes the prop to grab against gaseous water vapour. Since you can't produce much thrust when a prop pushes against a gas, the boat doesn't go any faster.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mnussbau wrote:
sammyphsyco wrote:

LMHO!! And all this time I thought the roads were so jammed you couldn't go over 20!

I can believe it. Even if you are in the right lane, you are taking a big risk there. One time I got honked at for shifting gears! Mr. SUV behind me was getting pissed that my car would stop accelerating when I shifted gears, so he honked.
propflux01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
[There is no such thing as cavitation with a fan that pushes air. Cavitation is an effect that can occur only when a fan is pushing a liquid. On the upstream side of the fan blades, sometimes the pressure drops so low that the liquid evaporates into a gas. When that vapour condenses back into a liquid, it causes a very small localized implosion that will damage the fan blades. That is cavitation. A common occurance is a boat's propeller. When it is cavitating, increasing the rpms only causes the prop to grab against gaseous water vapour. Since you can't produce much thrust when a prop pushes against a gas, the boat doesn't go any faster.

That I believe is false. If it were so, then why is it they limit the speed of aircraft propellers... because the faster they turn (with a given pitch, of course), the less efficient they become at pushing air, the blade starts to move faster then the air can be 'bitten' resulting in less air at faster speeds---cavitation. This is the main reason the engines are made to produce the most power at lower RPMs as not to overspeed a prop and choke it off from the air
gostros
Mr. Obvious

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammyphsyco wrote:

Same can be said for Houston.
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

propflux01 wrote:
That I believe is false. If it were so, then why is it they limit the speed of aircraft propellers...

Bruce is right, cavation is basically a liquid phenomenon.

If I remember my college physics correctly, what you are talking about is the phenomenon airplane propellers experience when they exceed supersonic speed. When the tip of the blade reaches supersonic speed before the rest of the aircraft does, resistance suddenly increases and shock waves form. This is why most prop planes don’t travel over Mach .06.

Regardless, stock VW fans do not reach supersonic speeds.

Also, the reason they design airplane engines to operate best at lower RPM's is to prolong the life of the engine. Engine failure at altitude can be a problem. So in getting back to the original question, limiting the speed of your engine may prolong the life of your car. But as noted above, engine speed is RPM's and not the speed on your speedometer. So if you redline your motor to get it to 65, you aren't helping much.

-jeffrey
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stock engine in my '71 Convertible lasted 31 years (135K miles) when one of the engine pan studs just fell out and wife kept driving with no oil and red light on (no, I'm not on Death Row, I didn't kill her). After replacing the stud and cleaning the bearing shells off the drain pan, drove it for another 4 years without any engine knocking. After oil heated up, oil pressure was a little low at idle, so decided to put my hibernating 1835 DP in instead. I'd say that original engine could've made 200K if that little stud had just stayed in place or wife had simply pulled over.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
jackjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '68 beetle has the original engine in it with 183000 (approx) miles and it still runs very strong. I don't know how well it was maintained prior to my acquiring the car, but since it's been in my care, she gets lots of love and attention.. The only major mods to the engine are a Weber Progressive carb and a full flow oil filter system.
ed stanley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

air is a fluid.
hoserbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
PierreDeKat wrote:

There is no such thing as cavitation with a fan that pushes air. Cavitation is an effect that can occur only when a fan is pushing a liquid. On the upstream side of the fan blades, sometimes the pressure drops so low that the liquid evaporates into a gas. When that vapour condenses back into a liquid, it causes a very small localized implosion that will damage the fan blades. That is cavitation. A common occurance is a boat's propeller. When it is cavitating, increasing the rpms only causes the prop to grab against gaseous water vapour. Since you can't produce much thrust when a prop pushes against a gas, the boat doesn't go any faster.

In the HVAC industry we call it "stall" when a fans speed is increased where it will actually flow less air, we also call it stall on fan blades you can adjust the pitch on, we ran across many fan blades that the pitch was so steep they were into stall before reaching peak RPM on startup.

I would consult berg on this fan and cooling issue he has a pretty good write up on his site.

http://www.geneberg.com/article.php?ArticleID=238
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
cynic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhicken wrote:
propflux01 wrote:
That I believe is false. If it were so, then why is it they limit the speed of aircraft propellers...

If I remember my college physics correctly, what you are talking about is the phenomenon airplane propellers experience when they exceed supersonic speed. When the tip of the blade reaches supersonic speed before the rest of the aircraft does, resistance suddenly increases and shock waves form. This is why most prop planes don’t travel over Mach .06.

Also, the reason they design airplane engines to operate best at lower RPM's is to prolong the life of the engine.
-jeffrey

You are mostly correct. Propeller are speed limited to keep the tip speed below Mach. The reason is, unless a propeller is designed to exceed Mach (very very expensive) the tips will reach Mach before the areas near the hub and this will cause them to separate from the prop (shock waves and such) causing an imbalance and then really bad stuff happens....

As far as aircraft engine speed. Well aircraft engines don't have transmissions. So if the max speed of a prop is 2750 RPM (to stay below Mach Tip Speed) then the max RPM the engine can turn is 2750 RPM it has nothing to do with making it last longer. Some engines are gear reduced so the RPM's are higher than the prop speed. The prop diameter determines the Max RPM. Example: Since Mach is temperature dependent, a good approximate speed is 760 MPH (1115 feet/sec) . The P47 Thunderbolt had a Radial engine that could not exceed approximately 1620 RPM because the Prop was 157.875 inches in diameter (~496" circumference).

E.P.S.M.Click to view image
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: