Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jetta automatic transmission noise
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Jetta automatic transmission noise Reply with quote

When I first start up my 89 GLI (with an 85 automatic transmission) it makes a whining/ whirring/ groaning? noise about 5 seconds after it starts up. It starts out low pitched and climbs to a high pitch before it goes away. It does this for about 10 seconds then never makes the noise again until it's shut off and started up again. It does it whether it's warm or cold. It's not down on fluid or anything and seemed to shift ok the one time I tried it for a very short drive. Any ideas what it might be? If I had my way I'd change it back over to a standard but it's the wife's so I guess I'm going to have to figure it out.
1995 Golf CL
1974 Beetle
1978 Westfalia
plasticman1432
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the noise seem to go away when the engine is revved up? I have a feeling it's not actually a transmission noise, but rather the timing belt tensioner. If it is the tensioner, replace it ASAP - a 16v will bend at least all 8 intake valves if the tensioner fails!

One of my '85 GTIs made that sound shortly after a shop did the timing belt replacement for me.....turned out they didn't replace the tensioner, which is highly recommended by VW and decent technicians. About a month after the 'work' was done, the tensioner seized up and broke the belt. Mad

'68 Meyers Manx: M1689D815E

http://public.fotki.com/VWDave/
bvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it just gets higher pitched when I rev it up and it definitely sounds to be coming from the tranny. And by the way, I replaced the 16V with an 8V motor from an 85 when I changed it over to automatic. I'm thinking possibly a pump bearing.
1995 Golf CL
1974 Beetle
1978 Westfalia
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: