Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

May '39 16 inch wheel....
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
streetwagens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: May '39 16 inch wheel.... Reply with quote

Got the tyres pulled off the rims from my '54 barndoor standard, and noticed that one of the rims was narrower than the others.....

Checked the date stamp inside the rim, and the 3 others are dated 6 54, and this 4th 3j one is stamped 5 39.... Anyone got a car to match the wheel??? Wink Laughing
streetwagens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try and get some pics of the date stamp sorted this weekend. So, how rare is this in Bug circles then? its too old for my busses! Rolling Eyes Confused
Björn Schewe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:27 am    Post subject: 16 " wheels Reply with quote

The 16"-wheels were not only made for Volkswagen. The 205-5-hole cirle was also used for vintage Opel, Tatra and some other cars. Even some trailers used these wheels. On this way, it could be, that you have found an old wheel made in 1939. The Volkswagen-wheels have the kdf of the Volkswagen-logo.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
streetwagens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, Thanks Björn - Where would the KDF markings be? Cool
Hebster52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: 16 " wheels Reply with quote

Björn Schewe wrote:
The 16"-wheels were not only made for Volkswagen. The 205-5-hole cirle was also used for vintage Opel, Tatra and some other cars. Even some trailers used these wheels. On this way, it could be, that you have found an old wheel made in 1939. The Volkswagen-wheels have the kdf of the Volkswagen-logo.

The thing is that the center on those other makes were a bit different shaped. There is no way to fit a VW hubcap on them. Believe me I got one of those when I bought my first set. They look exactly the same by the eye but when you try to fit the hubcap it is slightly too big... also the hubcap clips are different on them.
The KidVRod project
The 356 Pre-A replica,SOLD
The 1966 Kommanderwagen, SOLD
The Doppel -67, SOLD
The Singlecab -72, SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
streetwagens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I'll try popping a cap on it tonight - i'll measure the other 16's i have too. No visible difference to the outside though, still has stock looking hubcap clips on it too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: