Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

62 so33 Resurrection
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kommercial
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: 62 so33 Resurrection Reply with quote

Thought some of you may be interested in seeing my latest rescued westy and hear of it's maiden voyage. It is an original paint 62 so33. From what I have been told it is a reasonably rare find, all the 33's seem to be typically 63-65. This bus was delivered to Germany with;
025 – Safety belts - has all mounting points in cabin area only
056 - Steering lock (still installed)
119 - Eberspacher
121 - Ambo fans (but it appears to have never had them, so must have had alternate meaning?)
139 - Sealed beams/ red rear lamps
168 - 88 amp battery
181 - Chrome hubcaps
372 - N.A. equipment, 2 popouts.
SK1023- Turkis/Blauweiss
I think it may have had some sort of rear tent at one point, although I don't know of its maker or etc.

I found this westy by driving less traveled routes on the way to shows. When I came across it, it had no engine or transmission. Sitting on wood blocks out in the desert barely holding on to life. Interior was sparse and it had 3 coats of house paint on it; red, grey, and someone had started in with the red again. The original owner did tourist delivery, so it was oredered with USA specs and brought it back from Germany. After I bought it and it was safe and sound, I hunted down the second owner still living in tucson (retired politician) who had bought it in 65 from the original owner in Tucson. He then owned it until 85 when he sold it to an unknown person who never registered it. He said when he bought it, it was “run down” already in 65, and that it had a full grey/yellow tent. He is in his 60’s now and it seemed hard for him to recall much details, but he did tell me he drove it across the country once to PA which is where all the decals came from that he stuck on the body (?) next to the rear quarter panel. (not visible in pics). He couldn’t remember any of the other accessories. He didn't have any family or wife so he made it sound like old pictures are out of the question. He said he has the info of the guy he bought it off of originally, so I am still waiting for that. But sometime after he sold it, it must have only been driven for a year until the tags ran out and it made its way to a junkyard. I have been stripping it back down to og with chemicals, and collecting parts for it over the last 2 years.
A huge 'Thank you!' Goes out to Tom Avrutis for his endless help/info and parts sourcing, his long distance help definitely was key in making this project a success. There are still some more things to take care of but I decided to take it to the recent Jerome show.

I was only a ½ mile from my house on the westy’s maiden voyage to Jerome when I noticed a motorcycle cop flanking me in my left mirror. He swopped in behind me, and we stopped at a stoplight light. I was the leader in a 2 bus convoy, which you would think being the leader would grant me immunity, but not today. I took off from the light and he then pulled me over. The first thing he says is “What was the blue box you just threw out the window?” Thoughts of bad ‘cops’ reruns start filling my head thinking this guy is setting me up. I deny it of course but he insists and tells me to step out of the vehicle. I give him my insurance card and he starts searching for a VIN tag riveted to the dash behind the windshield. When he doesn’t find that, he starts questioning me about the VIN. I tell him to look in the engine compartment, so he calls for backup and when 2 more cop cars pull up, he makes me open it and he starts crawling around in there trying to see the VIN. After he found it and called it in (I knew it by heart due to research but that wasn't good enough), he asks me if it is ok if he searches my vehicle. At that point my wife asks another officer standing near the bus if she and the kids can get out because it is hot in there and one of them is crying now. The cop says ok and the 3 of them get out. The cop asks me again if he can search. I say sure and he starts walking towards the bus and then I say “but I don’t see why you need to”. This gets him upset, and he says “ so I CAN’T search your vehicle then?!?!?” like he is just waiting for the chance to upgrade the situtation. I back down and tell him to search away. He opens the cargo doors and starts rifling through my main closet which is full of camping stuff. Just then, up pulls another undercover cop who went back to look for the “blue box”…. It was my sanding block that I had left on the roof lol. In the last minute rush I had forgotten about it. At that point the cop is all smiles and laughs, closes everything up, and calls in an order for a breakfast burrito for him on his cell phone! Here is a shot of him roughin me up, taken by Jared who pulled over a little ways ahead of me to wait.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After that mess, we went on our way without incident. We stopped for a broken down bus on the way up. He had a blown belt, no engine seals and no parts. I had all the parts he needed, so he joined our convoy (white bus in front). Notice the USA ghost decal still visible on my decklid from back in Germany

Camping in the westy was great! Especially with the star view subhatch. My oldest son slept on the cot

Closest upholstery match I could find, thanks Dieselnut!

This bus originally had an Eberspacher. It still has all the controls/wires/cables installed but was missing the main unit in the back. Wouldn’t you know it, I found a working 6volt nice one at Jerome for $21!

On the way out from another great Jerome, we took the back road home for the first time, what a view

Still looking for some parts to complete it
2 Curtain bungee hold-down's
Sisal rug *found
Cargo door cabinet assembly *found
White square ice holder for icebox tray *found
og blue/green plaid upholstery?
Water bottles
Chandelier *found
Mauser
Have so23,33,42 parts to trade$

See you at BBB

Last edited by Kommercial on Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:15 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RINC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That thing is purdy.

I'm glad I got to see it at Jerome.

BTW, I only got one pic of it at Jerome.

Nice to know some history behind it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tlaama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wade,that bus is beautiful. The fabric looks great as does the curtains and the patina is just right. Must have taken a ton of time getting to the original paint.

Great story too with the cops pulling you over. They probably thought you were some drug hippy throwback from the 60's. HA!

Little did they know they were looking at one sweet bus and the rarest of the so-33's. Its like a rare book, the first edition carries the higher value,with the 62 being the first year they were available.

Wade you have to share the story of the t-molding fire/smokeout during the work on that bus ! Had me laughing on that one.

Thanks for the nice compliment. Its a pleasure to help where I can and will continue any way possible. With all the camper people that love the bullet buses,pre-60's busses and the flipseats its good to see an so-33 lover. We are not the majority. Tom
Bursch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely bus, and a great story to go with it!