Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel injection relief here!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 241, 242, 243 ... 250, 251, 252  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The only issue I see is that I'm using the e2000 pump which is a two outlet pump. The pump that the PO had installed was also a two in/out. I see this image has 3.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

Here is a 2-port diagram from the Type 4 forums:

Unlike the Type 3 diagram, this one is drawn with the pressure side at the top, do don't get confused. Also, the cold start valve on the Type 3 is different... none of this matters to you; the important part is the piping from tank to filter to pump to damper to fuel ring. You also eliminate the Y-connection on the return side of the loop to the tank.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

Unlike the Type 3 diagram, this one is drawn with the pressure side at the top, do don't get confused. Also, the cold start valve on the Type 3 is different... none of this matters to you; the important part is the piping from tank to filter to pump to damper to fuel ring. You also eliminate the Y-connection on the return side of the loop to the tank.
ah everything here looks right, however my pressure reg is on the right side of the car, and was in my running 72 as well. Moving the filter to the correct spot did help it however it still don't drive more than half a mile before it starts giving up. I'm going to check and make absolutely sure there's no vacuum leaks in places I hadn't thought of. I've been reading the first few chunks of another post here (69 fi squareback misadventures) and some of the stuff around page four and five sound like good tests and places for me to check. Going to check any wiring issues as well.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

Mirror image that pic Phil posted, and it looks like the type 3 pic, but with the 2 port pump.

Lets make sure you got everything right.
hose out of the tank fitting (with the nut)
to the fuel filter
out of the fuel fiter to the inlet of the pump
out of the pump to the drivers side steel line in the pan
out of the pan (at rear of car) to the 3/4 engine side injectors
out of 3/4 injectors with hose to the 1/2 injectors
out of the 1/2 injectors to fuel pressure regulator
out of fuel pressure regulator to rear passenger side rear steel line
out of passenger steel line (up front) to fuel tank fitting (without the nut).

If this is how your car is plumbed, you're good to go. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Mirror image that pic Phil posted, and it looks like the type 3 pic, but with the 2 port pump.

Lets make sure you got everything right.
hose out of the tank fitting (with the nut)
to the fuel filter
out of the fuel fiter to the inlet of the pump
out of the pump to the drivers side steel line in the pan
out of the pan (at rear of car) to the 3/4 engine side injectors
out of 3/4 injectors with hose to the 1/2 injectors
out of the 1/2 injectors to fuel pressure regulator
out of fuel pressure regulator to rear passenger side rear steel line
out of passenger steel line (up front) to fuel tank fitting (without the nut).

If this is how your car is plumbed, you're good to go. Cool

Yes....thats one of my hack drawings I made for the 411/412 forum. Its the type 4 car version of the D-jet system. Identical in every way except the pressure regulator is on the drivers side/ cylinders 3 and 4 side.

On the type 4 cars....fuel is pumped to the engine on the right side of the car and return comes down the left and on type 3 fuel is pumped to the engine on the left side and returms on the right.

Same basic issues/fixes for two port from three port pumps applies. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

ah everything here looks right, however my pressure reg is on the right side of the car, and was in my running 72 as well. Moving the filter to the correct spot did help it however it still don't drive more than half a mile before it starts giving up. I'm going to check and make absolutely sure there's no vacuum leaks in places I hadn't thought of. I've been reading the first few chunks of another post here (69 fi squareback misadventures) and some of the stuff around page four and five sound like good tests and places for me to check. Going to check any wiring issues as well.

You changed fuel pumps & swapped fuel pressure regulators etc, but still haven't bought/built a fuel pressure gauge after almost 2 years of owning 3 different fuel injected squarebacks.
The test port is the small black square between the 1/2 or 3/4 injectors.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:

You changed fuel pumps & swapped fuel pressure regulators etc, but still haven't bought/built a fuel pressure gauge after almost 2 years of owning 3 different fuel injected squarebacks.

Only majorly worked on two and each for less than a month! Haha. No I know, I need one, I'm building one asap. Wasn't expecting to work this weekend or I'd already have one. I'm hoping getting the pressure perfect will get it running. If not I've got connections to check, and electronics too if that's not the solution.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:

Only majorly worked on two and each for less than a month! Haha. No I know, I need one, I'm building one asap. Wasn't expecting to work this weekend or I'd already have one. I'm hoping getting the pressure perfect will get it running. If not I've got connections to check, and electronics too if that's not the solution.

You have to check those anyway. The components and connections of a used...40 year old D-jet system...are 100% suspect...always.

In fact....disconnect the battery and put the keys in your pocket. Its not even worth trying to start until you have cleaned each component end connector....there are only 23 wires...check for cracked wires...and tighten the female connectors.

Six main injection sensor components...MPS, trigger points, TVS, TS-1, TS-2 and the main ground wire bundles.

Then check the fuel pump, filter, regulator and hoses (the gauge works here)....then go through the ignition...points, rotor, cap, timing, mechanical and vacuum advance.....and then check EVERYTHING for leaks...air leaks. No vacuum leaks allowed at all.

This is not a carb system where just tweaking this or that alone...will get you putting around at least ok.

Everything has to be correct...if not near perfect...for D-jet to operate. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

I found and added this manual to the site recently:
VW1218 Electronic Fuel Injection Tester - Operating Instructions

I added a link in the first post of the thread.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

Nice! I had run across that before, but lost track.
JoMoSqBk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

I see a lot of posts referencing this site http://classicvw.org/gallery/Fuel-Injection-Manual/ but it is no longer hosted, can anyone confirm what was on here?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

A gold mine.

But much of it was lost... many of the manuals and articles were saved, but after Russ passed the site went down, and no one has found an archive, particularly for the many photos linked here on the Samba.

The smallest of the losses from his passing...

You will find FI info like that link here on the samba, too:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/fuelinjection.php
JoMoSqBk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

I am reading through the FI documentation (Thanks KTPhil) and am feeling pretty overwhelmed. my 73 squareback runs great when driving but often at a stop, it will want to die unless I tromp the gas all the way to the floor for 2-3 seconds. If it does die it will be difficult to start and require full throttle while cranking for a few seconds to fire up again.

I have replaced plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, fuel filter and checked the plugs (good spark and gap was correct). I had a non-VW mechanic put a noid light on the injectors and he thinks they are receiving low voltage.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

Check dwell and timing carefully, per the Bentley procedure for your year.

Check all hoses for leaking, even if they look fine. Check that the MPS holds vacuum. Leaky injector tip seals should also be checked, same as you would check for any vacuum leak using your favorite flammable spray.

Then get out the VOM and check the temp sensor resistances.

Then adjust the idle air bypass screw on the plenum.
JoMoSqBk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

Thanks! By check dwell do I really need a dwell meter or just check that my points are set correctly?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

If your points are new, or at least have clean faces without bumps, you can use a feeler blade.
mercmad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

nz jane wrote:
My 68 squareback runs and drives mint but my fuel pump leaks. Can anyone help with where I may be able to get a replacement? Not much available for fuel injected stuff here in New Zealand. It appears to leak from where the pen is pointing. For all I know it’s meant to 😆 or is this a replaceable part? Thanks
]

I am not sure if you fixed this as i didn't see a reply. The pumps shaft seal has failed and fuel coming out that hole is actually a drain to show that seal has gone.
The pump can be pulled apart and the seal replaced. What I generally do is simply fit a holden VN-VL Commodore pump which can be bought online through Supercheap auto and other places very cheaply. They supply the correct fuel volume etc.
if you are having problems getting the injection checked out properly in NZ have a look at this site.https://oldtimer.tips/en/d-jetronic/72-troubleshooting
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tram wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
Optional cold start system? At least in '71 even California T3s had them. Maybe it was optional in early years?

I also see it was retrofittable, so it might be on some but not all older cars. Maybe that is what is meant by "optional"? An "optional retrofit"?

Late models used a jet into the body of the intake air distributor. Retrofits used a different IAD backplate with a jet on it.

Russ said that the early FI cars didn't come with the coldstart, but I've never seen one like that, and Bentley doesn't mention it, so we're flying blind here as it seems that this is exactly what JSM has.

I wouldn't just go grounding that #14 wire. That could cause some ECU damage if grounding it isn't the right solution.

#14 on the ECU is only used for 72 and all 73 cars built for Calif it has something to do with the EGR valve as the TPS is piggy backed off the EGR relay.
EasternNotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: 1972 service circular Reply with quote

Found this in my parts book

1969 Fastback
1989 Doka AFN TDI
Ecasci01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

Have a 71 squareback FI WHEN I TAKE THE FUEL INJECTOR WIRES OFF THERE IS NO POWER there with a test light. Where does the power come from for the fuel injectors?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 241, 242, 243 ... 250, 251, 252  Next
Jump to:
Page 242 of 252

Jump to: