Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel injection relief here!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 242, 243, 244 ... 250, 251, 252  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ecasci01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

Have a 71 squareback FI WHEN I TAKE THE FUEL INJECTOR WIRES OFF THERE IS NO POWER there with a test light. Where does the power come from for the fuel injectors?
Intrinsic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

Power for the injectors comes from the ECU, the injectors on each side share a common ground.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

Depending on the type of test light, the pulse, measures in a few dozen milliseconds, may be too short to light up the bulb filament.
chaosisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

Stupid question but I had all my tin powder coated and Im putting it all back on my engine and Im having trouble getting those little tins that go under the intake manifolds/runners back on. Do they have to be on BEFORE the intakes go on?

'68 FI Sunroof Squareback

'70 Westy

OCT3 - Orange County Type 3's
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

chaosisme wrote:
Stupid question but I had all my tin powder coated and Im putting it all back on my engine and Im having trouble getting those little tins that go under the intake manifolds/runners back on. Do they have to be on BEFORE the intakes go on?

If they are the ones that are under the runners I haven't tried they might if the injectors are not installed , I think even then they hit the are with the 2 studs that secure the injectors. I had mine off not long ago yet I put the injectors on first before the runners even so if I recall they won't clear the lower runner boss. I put them it first just loose then the runners . I know the ones with the plug holes can be removed after and before.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

chaosisme wrote:

I think so. Even if you just put them there and then do the intake runners.
Just so you know, they're a PIA on dual carb engines too.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
chaosisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

Yeah, you're right. I ended up having to loosen the intakes to slip the tins in there.

'68 FI Sunroof Squareback

'70 Westy

OCT3 - Orange County Type 3's
JoMoSqBk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

4 months, 4 mechanics, and countless hours of reading I finally figured out what was causing my car to lose power and want to die if I didn't hold the throttle down at idle. *Don't take these to a mechanic VW guys try to force carb swaps and regular guys are dumb founded.

I really appreciate all the help in this thread. What helped solve this was as many on here suggest start with ignition. I replaced the plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor. After that I was still having issues, the alternator (generator has been replaced) was weak so I had that rebuilt and the coil was also a little weak so I replaced it. This had me about 25% better but was really where I started to want to pull my hair out.

I pulled vacuum on the MPS and tested fuel pressure, both were good. I read everything I could here and went over to the bus side of the forums where the was a lot of discussion on temp sensors for similar problems. $32 and one cylinder head temp sensor later the squareback is back in business!

Thanks again for all your help here.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

JoMoSqBk wrote:
4 months, 4 mechanics, and countless hours of reading I finally figured out what was causing my car to lose power and want to die if I didn't hold the throttle down at idle. *Don't take these to a mechanic VW guys try to force carb swaps and regular guys are dumb founded.

I really appreciate all the help in this thread. What helped solve this was as many on here suggest start with ignition. I replaced the plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor. After that I was still having issues, the alternator (generator has been replaced) was weak so I had that rebuilt and the coil was also a little weak so I replaced it. This had me about 25% better but was really where I started to want to pull my hair out.

I pulled vacuum on the MPS and tested fuel pressure, both were good. I read everything I could here and went over to the bus side of the forums where the was a lot of discussion on temp sensors for similar problems. $32 and one cylinder head temp sensor later the squareback is back in business!

Thanks again for all your help here.

Glad to hear you fixed your problem. Cool It's also why in this forum we don't suggest taking your car to a mechanic, but rather fix it yourself. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Clyde Maddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

I have a 70 automatic that was running fine a few days ago. Now it shoots fuel out the muffler. Fuel pressure is 28 psi, and holds when engine is off, which tells me the injectors are not leaking.
There was gas in the oil.

I have fresh oil in now.

Is there a way to bench test the pressure sensor? Am I looking in the right direction?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

Clyde Maddox wrote:
I have a 70 automatic that was running fine a few days ago. Now it shoots fuel out the muffler. Fuel pressure is 28 psi, and holds when engine is off, which tells me the injectors are not leaking.
There was gas in the oil.

I have fresh oil in now.

Is there a way to bench test the pressure sensor? Am I looking in the right direction?

Yes, pull a vacuum on it where the hose attaches. See if it'll hold vacuum. If it doesn't, then you either have a leaking diaphragm, or a leaking "O" ring, or both. Using an ohm meter, check the reading on the outer pins of the plug, and then the inner pins on the plug. You should get 2 readings. The outer reading should be 300+, and the inner reading should be about 90 ohms.

Does the engine hold 28 psi fuel pressure when running? How long does it take to start dropping? In a half hour you should have 20 psi, do you?
As far as gas in the oil, it might have been a system bleed down after shut off. All it takes is 1 injector to do that.

As for the right direction, yes. But also check everything else related to the FI, like the cylinder head temp sensor (should be around 2200 ohms cold (can be more) and 150 hot), and the IAD temp sensor should be 100 ohms. You can also pull the ECU, and unplug the big connector from it and measure out the wires. I think Tram posted up the values and numbers of the wires to what they go to on the 1st page of this thread.
I hope this helps.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Clyde Maddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply!

MPS vacuum goes from 20 down to 15 in 2 1/2 minutes.
It measures at 90 ohms and 345 ohms.

Cyl head temp reads 3.656 ohms cold?

IAD temp sensor is 400 ohms.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clyde Maddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

Update:
Wire harness checked out good. Voltage was low. I replaced the voltage regulator and the flooding stopped. Found one injector leaking at the plug. Replaced with a good used one. Thanks for this thread!
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

Congrats on fixing it. As we mentioned above, you're the best mechanic for it. Wink
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

I’m struggling to get my 70 Squareback running after 44 years of sitting. The pump relay I know is bad so I have been hooking it up to a battery. That works, I fixed the issue with spark and now I’m finally getting it, the engine turns over well, I put starting fluid in it and it sound like one cylinder might be firing ever few rotations, ideas? I will check firing order too.
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
I’m struggling to get my 70 Squareback running after 44 years of sitting. The pump relay I know is bad so I have been hooking it up to a battery. That works, I fixed the issue with spark and now I’m finally getting it, the engine turns over well, I put starting fluid in it and it sound like one cylinder might be firing ever few rotations, ideas? I will check firing order too.

Check your build thread, as I replied to your questions there, and gave you a few things to check over. I missed ohming out the cylinder head temp sensor though, and you'll need to check. It has to be hooked up (plugged in), or the ECU won't give it any fuel.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
roman_dolan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

Looking for help with this part and where it goes.
Bought with a bunch of FI parts and hoping to put in my car that has dual carbs but was originally FI.
Any one recognise it?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

Never seen that part, and the connector pins look like no other VW connectors. Looks like some sort of relay. Maybe a PO replaced an OEM relay with this one at some point? Look under the back seat where several Type 3 relays live.
roman_dolan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

Yes looks like a relay, funny thing is I got a box that had 2 type 3 FI systems in and also 2 of these,
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

I'll date myself, but that connector base looks like an old vacuum tube pinout!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 242, 243, 244 ... 250, 251, 252  Next
Jump to:
Page 243 of 252

Jump to: