Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiring Question
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
krewe01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Wiring Question Reply with quote

Im pretty sure I solved my headlight issue. I ordered a switch.I am shocked how clean the wiring was behind the dash, I expected a rats nest but not to bad.I am going to replace the fuse box,does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking about replacing it with a blade type, where should I find one? I also was wondering what the four wires were for under the rear seat. Whoever had the car before me moved the battery to the engine compartment and I plan on moving it back under the rear seat. What side was the battery originally on? (driver or passenger) the four mystery wires are on the passenger side
Thanks in advance again
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The battery sits on the passenger side. As for the four wires I'm not sure...
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you trace these wires to a "source"? It's likely they were added by a previous owner for some sort of accessory. Trace one or more of then to see where the other end connected to.

As to changing out the fuse box, I'd leave it stock. Just replace the fuses with new ones, as the tips wore down and would make poor connections. Clean up the blades with emory (sandpaper) and you're good to go.
krewe01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wires look stock and appear to be part of the wire harness. The fuse box is fine with the exception of paint overspray.
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the over-spray is just on the clear cover, you can buy a replacement for not that much... I think The Thing Shop has them.

I also found that you can carefully remove over-spray with steel wool or acetone. Just be extra careful with the acetone...
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krewe01 wrote:
The wires look stock and appear to be part of the wire harness. The fuse box is fine with the exception of paint overspray.
Can you provide the color code of each wire? Or, look them up on your year's wiring schematic by going here:

http://www.vintagebus.com/wiring/index.html
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those 4 wires are part of the obsolete VW test plug system. They are probably brown, brown w/ stripe, yellow w/ red stripe, and maybe {black}. You can disregard them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
krewe01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are awsome. I hope one day I can help some poor soul solve a problem. Matt those wires were the exact colors you stated. Thanks for all the help. I posted a picture in the gallery yall let me know what you think(It has alluminum hubs and four wheel disc brakes)
Lyle
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can cut those wires short, but I found another use for them. They run back into the engine compartment so I used them to wire up some gauges. All I had to do was extend them from the battery forward, and from their short end in the engine compartment to the gauge sending unit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
krewe01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to do exactly that.( Use them for gauges) Great Idea

Last edited by krewe01 on Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prior to removing those test plug wired follow a earlier idea perhaps. Many folks have used these wired to run auxillary gauge wiring. My tach, oil pressure and temp are powered by these.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krewe01 wrote:
You guys are awsome. I hope one day I can help some poor soul solve a problem.

That type of spirit is widely held on this forum. It is one of the things that makes it such a precious resource.
krewe01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen Brother
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Question Reply with quote

krewe01 wrote:
I am going to replace the fuse box,does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking about replacing it with a blade type, where should I find one?

I've been thinking of doing this exact same thing - the bullet fuses keep giving me problems! It seems I have to pull them all and clean them off every 6 months to keep everything working. Very frustrating.

I've been looking at this site:
Delcity

But I'm not sure which box will work. They're cheap, so that's nice.

Be cautious about what you get. The newer style fuse blocks almost always have a single feed for hot, then each fuse is one line from that hot. Those willl not work with the stock wiring - each fuse is independant and only a few of them (2?) are bussed together. So, when you get a new fuse block, make sure each of the fuses are truely independant and not just bussed together.

I'll try my hand at ASCII art to try and explain it:
Code:

good (all fuses are independant - 4 feeds):

---[~]---

---[~]---

---[~]---

---[~]---

bad (all circuits are tied together - 1 feed):

---[~]---
    |
    [~]---
    |
    [~]---
    |
    [~]---

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring Question Reply with quote

Ian Epperson wrote:
krewe01 wrote:
I am going to replace the fuse box,does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking about replacing it with a blade type, where should I find one?

I've been thinking of doing this exact same thing - the bullet fuses keep giving me problems! It seems I have to pull them all and clean them off every 6 months to keep everything working. Very frustrating.

I've been looking at this site:
Delcity

But I'm not sure which box will work. They're cheap, so that's nice.

Be cautious about what you get. The newer style fuse blocks almost always have a single feed for hot, then each fuse is one line from that hot. Those willl not work with the stock wiring - each fuse is independant and only a few of them (2?) are bussed together. So, when you get a new fuse block, make sure each of the fuses are truely independant and not just bussed together.

I'll try my hand at ASCII art to try and explain it:
Code:

good (all fuses are independant - 4 feeds):

---[~]---

---[~]---

---[~]---

---[~]---

bad (all circuits are tied together - 1 feed):

---[~]---
    |
    [~]---
    |
    [~]---
    |
    [~]---

Ian, Those fuse holders are cheap & readily available, but there is a better option if you want to swap out your fuse panel for blade type fuses.

I can't take credit for finding this fuse panel, G. Mondshine told me about it, and he may have done a write up on it quite a few years back too. Its a fuse panel/holder that is made by Littelfuse Co. They come in 5 wide sections, and they can be snapped together to make a 10 wide holder. It is close to the same size as the stock Thing fuse panel. Here is a link to it, hope it works.
http://www.littelfuse.com/cgi-bin/r.cgi/en/prod_series.html?SeriesID=650&LFSESSION=A67Mtmha1b
caribbeanlivin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked at some of the bus and thing diagrams. I can figure it out, but I have different numbers on my new switch. My old switch part number is 311941531A and my new one is 1119532332 Can someone please help me? Thanks Ron
caribbeanlivin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked at diagrams in my book and found out that I got the emergency flasher switch instead of the headlight switch. So I figured it out. Ron
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: