Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front sidemarker - turn signal modification
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Front sidemarker - turn signal modification Reply with quote

dwill49965 wrote:
I'm going to do this mod to the rear sidemarker lights, too, and turn them into turn signals. It will only involve switching one wire (the ground wire from ground to the turn signal feed).

Well, I finished off this job this afternoon. It was quite easy. Just removed the brown ground wire from rear sidemarker light from the male spade grounding terminal, and spliced it (soldered it) into the right rear turn signal wire - black wire with green stripe on my '78 Westy. For the drivers side, the turn signal feed wire is black with a white stripe.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's a couple of short (15-20 sec) .avi movies of them in action. Sorry for the quality - its a 5 year old Canon A60 2MPixel camera, and sorry for the radio being on in the background. Embarassed

http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dwilliams1/front%20turn%20signal%20mod%20005.avi
http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dwilliams1/front%20turn%20signal%20mod%20006.avi

Bring on the flames, hatchets, and admonitions about cutting into my original wiring harness ...

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Duncwarw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it! No flame from me at least.

I'd think you're safer than the rest of us.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Front sidemarker - turn signal modification Reply with quote

phorce1 wrote:
Now, for those in the U.S. (I'm in Texas) please note his description mentioned BOTH "parking lights" and "side marker lights".

In Europe narrow roads and no garage is the rule rather than the exception.

When light switch is pulled out the MARKER lights light up to make you more visible while driving, just like over here

When one parks for the night you just pull two wheels up on the sidewalk and leave the rest of the car hanging out in the roadway. Special circuitry in the turn signal switch turns on JUST the PARKING lamps on the left/right side of the car when you flip the switch while the key is off. So, when one pulls up for the night one turns on the parking lamps and has a red-rear and clear-front light lit on the side of the car that is hanging out in the road.

Over here we call all lamps that light when the headlight switch is pulled out to the first stop either parking lights or marker ligts. Usually people will refer to front/rear facing lights as parking lights and anything on the side of the vehicle as a marker light. No special way to light only some of them.

In some areas, of some countries, parking with one or more wheels on the verge or pavement (i.e. sidewalk in USA parlance), will result in your vehicle being towed away or wheel-clamped, requiring one to pay a hefty fine to retrieve the vehicle. In extreme cases, your vehicle might even be auctioned off or sent to the crusher, so be wary of what you do, when you venture abroad, because you might fall foul of draconian local laws!

Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet

Last edited by NASkeet on Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
phorce1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Front sidemarker - turn signal modification Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
... be wary of what you do, when you venture abroad, because you might fall foul of draconian local laws!

In this regard the EU and the US are exactly alike.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Front sidemarker - turn signal modification Reply with quote

dwill49965 wrote:
dwill49965 wrote:
I'm going to do this mod to the rear sidemarker lights, too, and turn them into turn signals. It will only involve switching one wire (the ground wire from ground to the turn signal feed).

Well, I finished off this job this afternoon. It was quite easy. Just removed the brown ground wire from rear sidemarker light from the male spade grounding terminal, and spliced it (soldered it) into the right rear turn signal wire - black wire with green stripe on my '78 Westy. For the drivers side, the turn signal feed wire is black with a white stripe.

Does this wiring setup allow the sidelights to work both as sidemarkers and turn signal?

I like the front reflector -> side marker conversion. Not a hack idea at all, but the hole could be made a bit cleaner. Confused

Just a regular guy
Mike Boell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this to my 1975 Westfalia also, but I did it back in 1980. Glad to see you guys catching up. Ha!
That being said I do not have them set-up to flash, so now I will catch up with you and move a wire or two around. I'll do the front and the back as well.
Great idea.
Thanks
Mike
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Front sidemarker - turn signal modification Reply with quote

otiswesty wrote:
Does this wiring setup allow the sidelights to work both as sidemarkers and turn signal?

Yes.
The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Here's my take on the yuppie hack! Reply with quote

I was inspired by the original poster's idea. The exposed metal will be treated with POR15 and I'm waiting for my housings to complete the electrical work and cosmetic install.

FYI: I used a 1 1/2" bi-metal hole saw with a 1/4" pilot bit for the main bulb socket hole and a 5/16" bit for the housing mount holes.

I kept a xerox of my template in case anyone would like to use it. Just send me a PM.

Here is my work on it so far:

Thanks for the idea!
(sold - but not forgotten)
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some photos of the finished project:

Big Bad John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the same thing on mine a couple of years ago, just a different location. They do look cool at night or in the evening.

[/img]
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to seal up the back side as well (inside the door), as water can / will get at it from there.

I do like the idea, I think it is great. Mine are round and on the rear of the dogleg.

68 Westy
92 Jetta (oh it is retired)
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
72 Westy (I am going to fix it up)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
78Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Bad John wrote:
I did the same thing on mine a couple of years ago, just a different location. They do look cool at night or in the evening.

[/img]

I really dig that, it looks great.but im listening to Leonard Cohen so i cant really get too excited right now..hehe Joe
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soissisc wrote:
Be sure to seal up the back side as well (inside the door), as water can / will get at it from there...

If mounted on the door skin then making it water-tight isn't of concern as the doors normally get water in them, thus the reason they have drains in them...just like modern cars. One does, however, want to make sure there's a vapor barrier in the door to help protect the panel. If the stock one is a gonner then a heavy-duty, thick plastic garbage bag will work. Use Gas-A-Cinch or rubber-cement to hold the vapor barrier to the door -- follow the directions for allowing the glue to cure to get best adherence.
The First Invasion
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed this inner vapor barrier of 4mil plastic with a bead of clear waterproof liquid nails.

Tip: While you're in there, you should make sure that your drain or weep holes are clear of debris (including parts of the rubber clip mounts for the panel).

I then sealed the door with soundproofing. I'll be posting about that experience soon.
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that's the same Liquid Nails I'm thinking of, that's too permanent of a solution! Shocked You want something that WILL allow you to remove the vapor barrier when needed, thus the use of a mild-adhesion contact cement.
The First Invasion
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is in fact the permanent adhesive you are thinking of. Hopefully I won't need to remove it ever. In any event, the plastic is sized, cut and and positioned so that I can easily reach behind it if necessary.
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the template for all to use:
(It's in the gallery now - Thanks Everett! Wink Now I don't have to keep xeroxing and mailing it out.)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/849402.jpg

thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever since I first saw this topic I've wanted to do this conversion. I think there's a line between a "Hack" and a tasteful upgrade and I think this falls into the tasteful upgrade category. Thanks for the template BUSBOSS, that'll really make this upgrade hard to fall into the hack category now
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got all the gear for this since I saw it last year. The template is way neater than the one I made. Thanks for posting it. Now I just have to scrounge some wire from a few local parts buses so it will key into the lighting diagram wiring and I'll be off drilling holes.
Earl 78 westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im doing it. it looks great and it is safer Exclamation
c'mon guys.....you all know that our lights are dim enough....this idea will just make our buses brighter. Cool

check out my stuff on ebay....
http://www.ebay.com/sch/simplefundesigns/m.html?_n...ksid=p3686

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: